Halflings

Started by Volke, August 19, 2006, 10:28:54 PM

HUH?
Aggressive, carnivorous killers?
I always thought they were like, little bilbo-faggins nice guys, who had second breakfast.
Are they completely different creatures in Zalanthas?

Completely different, just like Zalanthas elves and dwarves are also completely different than their cousins in Tolkien's universe and most of the fantasy genre based off of that.

Yes.

They are tiny little 'anklebiters' that love stabbing poisonous spears into your gut, then stripping the meat from your bones and eating it with some of their chums.

Where's that thing Tlaloc wrote comparing LOTR hobbits to Zalanthas hobbits when Aragorn throws the apple at Merry? Oh how I laughed.

Edited to add that you can type 'help race halfling' while in game and you will get some good information on they're truly like.

Edited again to add that if you play a Northern character, just ask someone up there what halflings are and they will give you horror stories. If not, then make a Northern character, and ask someone up there what halflings are and they will you horror stories.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: "Volke"HUH?
I always thought they were like, little bilbo-faggins nice guys, who had second breakfast.

they do have second breakfest.....

You!

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: "amish overlord"
Quote from: "Volke"HUH?

they do have second breakfest.....

You!

Amish Overlord  8)

Uh...what?

You!

Volke  8)

HAlflings are completely diffrent from LOTR halflings, I doubt even the two species would be related or if a lotr halfling meet a zalthanian one...well he'd probably be lunch for the zalthanian halfling.

Halflings are ominvorious, but more carnivours. They also I expect respect hunting and gathering, so if a halfling was full or carrying meat already, it might ignore you, or tell its friend to come and get you. It could also possibly try to scare you away or chase you off. To them all other races and animals are food. They'd be sorta like gollum, who wants to eat bilbo in the hobbit. Of course if they aren't trying to eat you maybe contacted their friends to come get your fat merchant or whatever.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I see halflings as being having a sort of "waste not, want not" philosophy.  They have their little chunk of territory, and they don't want to share.  Since humans tend to run amok, ruin land, and are pretty bossy, you can see why the halflings don't want to share with humans.  They want to protect their little piece of land.

But halflings aren't strong enough to go to war with a city state.  Cities go to war with other civilizations, they don't go to war with dangerous animals.  By acting vicious and uncivilized the halflings discourage random people from invading their land, without attracting the attention of a powerful government.  If an outsider is in their territory stealing game, killing trees, and generally being a jerk then they want to stop the outsider.  Scare him away, kill him, whatever.  If you do kill the invader, what do you do with him?  Sure, you could leave the body rotting in the forest, but that is messy and wasteful.  You've had to spend time and energy stalking and killing the invader, his coins aren't worth anything to you, but food is.

If god didn't want us to eat people, then why are they made of meat?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The way I see it there are three reasons for canibalizm:

1) For the power of your enemy, his spirit, whatever.

2) To really get to know a good friend.  You allready know everything he has to say, in his life he was your pal, father whatever, but now thats he is dead you really want to know him.

3) For necessity, IE: starving got nothing else to eat, or like you said why waste good food?  Not like they are gunna use it anymore.

I am curious if the halflings apply to #1 and/or #2.
razy Old Man
My axe is my buddy,
We both cry with the trees,
Don't take us for a chump,
Or you'll be hoppin' on a stump.

Ask the staff about playing one and getting access to the halfling documentation, cownosecat.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm pretty sure halflings aren't canibals.

They regard the other demi-humans as being no better than other animals, and therefor equally edible.

Speaking of halflings, what ever happened to the PC ones that were advertised for a couple of months back? I never heard a word about any halflings afterwards, I wonder if they had any impact on the game at all.
b]YB <3[/b]

Think: Sort of like the zombie pygmies in The Mummy Returns", minus the zombie part and a few other differences.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Hymwen"Speaking of halflings, what ever happened to the PC ones that were advertised for a couple of months back? I never heard a word about any halflings afterwards, I wonder if they had any impact on the game at all.

Oh, they're around.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Moe, I highly suggest you find that one out IC...because it'll be fun.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Moe, I highly suggest you find that one out IC...because it'll be fun.
I would, but last I heard they weren't taking halfling apps right now.  :(

Heh, who said you should find out by playing one. ;)

The short, slightly chubby man says in australian-accented sirihish, while stalking up on the small, painted humanoid:
"See, what I'm going to do here is grab the little bugger by both wrists real quick and get those locked up into one of me hands so that I can scruff him with the other.  You gotta be really careful, as they're vicious little biters."

My advice?

Kill one of the grubber buggers and take her place in the clan.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

The human male dressed as a halfling has arrived from the west.

The human male dressed as a halfling says, in sirihish: "What's up my halfling brothas? When do we eat?"
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Seeker"My advice?

Kill one of the grubber buggers and take her place in the clan.

Seeker

I'm so doing a dwarf with that focus.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Originally posted here. I definiately recommend, Volke, reading all the documentation in the game, particularly on races, city-states, guilds, and clans. Additionally, if you're feeling more ambitious, do some background reading on the Dark Sun setting.

The swarthy, handsome ranger says, in sirihish:
    "Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall."

The red-haired halfling asks, in sirihish:
    "What about breakfast?"

Irritated, swarthy, handsome ranger says, in sirihish:
    "You've already had it."

Sounding confused, the red-haired halfling asks, in sirihish:
    "We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?"

Sounding resigned, the dark-haired halfling tells the red-haired halfling, in kentu:
    "I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip."

Looking desperately aghast, the red-haired halfling asks the dark-haired halfling, in kentu:
    "What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?"

Deadpan, the dark-haired halfling tells the red-haired halfling, in kentu:
    "I wouldn't count on it."

Pullng out a blowgun, the red-haired halfling exclaims, in kentu:
    "We'll show him then!"

The red-haired halfling shoots the swarthy, handsome ranger with a feathered, poison-tipped needle!
The swarthy, handsome ranger's eyes roll back in his head.
The swarthy, handsome ranger crumples to the ground.

Happily, the red-haired halfling tells the dark-haired halfling, in kentu:
    "Let's eat!"

The dark-haired halfling nods, happily, pulling out a crude bone skinning knife.
Tlaloc
Legend

Seriously awesome stuff, Tlaloc. I shall have to save that to my computer. I couldn't find that damn thread, even after about an hour of searching.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

There should also be an option for human rangers to have the ability to toss dwarves 1-2 rooms away in 2.Arm.

Can halflings or do they eat humans?

Find out IC ;-)

Interesting stuff.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

They're like carnivorous goats-- they'll eat anything.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki