Carving Spice with a Poisoned Blade

Started by Reiloth, August 12, 2006, 03:28:26 PM

I was just thinking...If this is already in place shoot me in the face...If you carve a knot of spice with a poisoned blade, shouldn't that poison the pinch that you carve off, and subsequently, poison anyone who smokes it?

If it doesn't, it should.

This may be a find out IC question.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: "Reiloth"I was just thinking...If this is already in place shoot me in the face...If you carve a knot of spice with a poisoned blade, shouldn't that poison the pinch that you carve off, and subsequently, poison anyone who smokes it?

If it doesn't, it should.

This may be a find out IC question.

Best experiment IC.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

But, if it's not a poison that is to made to be poisoning someone by them enhaling it, it may not work.

Or it could just completely be burned off and not have any effect.

Creep
21sters Unite!

First of all, the amount of poison that gets on the spice probably wouldn't be as much as was applied to the blade. Even if you'd be affected, the effect would probably be weakened.

Also, smoking the spice would almost certainly nullify the poison, and sniffing it.. well, I don't know. Most poisons only work when a full dose is injected into the blood or digestion system.
b]YB <3[/b]

Yes, but that all depends on what a 'dose' is.

Is a 'dose' a hundred grams..  Or a microgram?  I could see that being a really cool thing, if its not already in the game.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

QuoteAlso, smoking the spice would almost certainly nullify the poison, and sniffing it.. well, I don't know. Most poisons only work when a full dose is injected into the blood or digestion system.

I HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT INHALING POISON DOES NOT KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RULES OF COMMON SENSE NO LONGER APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Pax,

Dirr

PS: You're an idiot.

I don't think thats neccesarily true. Think of the more fungal diseases, that cause hallucinations. I would imagine these poisons to be -very- dangerous when inhaled, into your lungs, a perfect enviroment for fungus to grow and kill you.

I'm still researching if poison gets nullified at higher tempratures.

More later.

Also, i beg to differ with the injections into your blood stream, as some poisons are contact based, through the skin, or extraneous wounds (IE a knife cutting your skin, and even a slight bit of poison coming into contact with your inner flesh). I don't know of any bone syringes in Zalanthas.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

It's not that many poisons wouldn't be as poisonous insufflated. It's that they might not be very poisonous burnt. Compare to the number of Earth drugs which get ruined when smoked.

I recommend someone try this.  For science.  OP, are you up to the cause?
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

And the number of Earth drugs that get released when burned.

~Jack Vance~

But that is not relevant whatsoever, since we're dealing with substances that are already poisonous. Not all of them will have burning points above the temperature your PC's spice burns at.

Quote from: "Dirrrrr"
QuoteAlso, smoking the spice would almost certainly nullify the poison, and sniffing it.. well, I don't know. Most poisons only work when a full dose is injected into the blood or digestion system.

I HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT INHALING POISON DOES NOT KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RULES OF COMMON SENSE NO LONGER APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Pax,

Dirr

PS: You're an idiot.

Do you post as a guest all the time because you're banned or something?

QuoteDo you post as a guest all the time because you're banned or something?

Yes.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

The amount of poison you get from cutting a bit of spice with a poisoned knife will never be as much as if you stick that knife into someone's body.

The combination of:

1) A much smaller dose of poison

2) Received in a manner not intended (smoking/sniffing rather than injected directly into the blood or digestive system)

...would probably give a lesser effect, if any. A few poisons may have an effect when burned but I think most would be nullified or lessened to a harmless extent (such as paralyzing poison becoming a light numbness when you get it through smoking a tiny amount of it).

Edit: and a lot of weapons are poisoned through a hollow tip. You probably don't smear a thick layer of poison along the entire blade.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote2) Received in a manner not intended (smoking/sniffing rather than injected directly into the blood or digestive system)

You don't inject 'things' into the digestive system, nor would it do anything (unless it had some specific effect on the cells of the digestive tract alone) were it not for the fact that the poison eventually crosses into the blood. So saying 'injected directly into the blood or digestive system' is .... ha. Just say injected directly into the circulatory system. The occurrence of the poison in the digestive tract is equivalent to the occurrence of a poison in the lungs, in either case the chemical crosses into the blood.

Quote from: "Dirr"
QuoteDo you post as a guest all the time because you're banned or something?

Yes.

So do you actually play the game too, or just troll the boards? I honestly have never seen you add a single thing to a discussion.

QuoteSo do you actually play the game too, or just troll the boards? I honestly have never seen you add a single thing to a discussion.

I offer nothing valuable to this community.... so, you're pretty much on target there - nice!

Dirr, I love you and miss your communinist posts.

I'm not saying all poisons won't work if you inhaled them, but some may not work at all, some may be lessoned.

It could be that while the spice burns, they poison will just end up being left over in the bowl/ash what not. Or it could get burnt off, what not.

We all know that in real life there are quite a few chemicals that when burnt and entering into the system through the lungs is quite effective, but alot of those wouldn't neccessarily be something that you'd try to kill someone with via stabbing them with an infected knife.

I'll just conlude that it'd be possible to poison spice I'm sure, but you'd have to find something that'd be affective.
21sters Unite!

Zalanthas needs laundry detergent to make spice that much more fun.

acid bath

Lots of tiny blood vessels are at the surface in the nose and lungs, so cold sniffing should be effective for many poisons.  (Using the poison as an enema should work too, for similar reasons, but I can't imagine a situation where that would come up.)  An inhaled poison should work faster than an eaten one, faster in, faster out.  

But I'm not sure enough poison would rub off the knife to be fatal.  It is also unclear how the chemical composition of the poison and that of the spice might interact.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"(Using the poison as an enema should work too, for similar reasons, but I can't imagine a situation where that would come up.)

This is actually faster than snorting poison!  It all has to do with the absorption of the membranes.  IV being the wickedest, IM and then, mmm, rectal distribution.

But you can't imagine where that would come up?  I thought there was torture RP in this game.

acid bath

It's a good rule of thumb NOT to use a poisoned blade to cut things that are to be consumed, especially in a society that is not technologically or medically advanced such as Zalanthas.  Especially if you have access to blades that aren't poisoned!  (Then again, common sense isn't as common as you'd think.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I roleplayed out a Kadian who was convinced his Kuraci wife poisoned the brick of spice she gave him, and he was slowly dying from it.

One time...
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That makes sense.  You wouldn't poison your eating knife.

acid bath

Most poisons would be organic and most organic substances disintegrate when you heat them that much, so most poisons would most likely have a different effect or none at all. Probably not all, though.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

most poisons are biological: bacteria, pathonegetic organisms or compounds. Burning them would usually render them poisonless. Unless the poison is chemical in nature.
IMMSAESL (Sorry I Made My Sig An Entire Sentence Long)

Quotemost poisons are biological: bacteria, pathonegetic organisms or compounds. Burning them would usually render them poisonless. Unless the poison is chemical in nature.

Indeed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger