Higher Board Security

Started by creeper386, August 10, 2006, 04:11:28 AM

Is there a way to make it alittle more difficult to start up an account here on the boards to stop all these spam bots that are getting rather annoying?
21sters Unite!

There is and for some reason only God knows, the staff thinks its too difficult for newbies to figure out how to set up an account - even though most other boards have that whole "image verification" thing.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "creeper386"Is there a way to make it alittle more difficult to start up an account here on the boards to stop all these spam bots that are getting rather annoying?

Aren't the spambots posting as guests?  Taking this into account, can we eliminate guest posting for people who are not logged in?  Like, adding an option to post as a guest in the posting box.  I don't know if that's possible.

But then there's still the problem of the hundreds of advo accounts created that I've noticed on the memberlist that may be spamming posts, also?
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I can only think of one drawback to the image recognition test. It prevents anyone who has sight problems from creating an account. I know of two players in another game who were blind and used some fancy software to play. If they had to see an image just to create an account, they wouldn\'t have been able to do it. Their software relied on text, not images. So having to recognize an image (jpg or gif) of a z 0 4 s wouldn\'t have worked for them.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm sure cases of sight impared people playing would be few and far between.  I'm sure brixus or another staff member could handle the extra workload of fielding emails to setup accounts
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Most image generation technologies are accompanied with an alternate process for acquiring an account.

It's on The List.

Seriously.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

There are a few registered spambots.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"There are a few registered spambots.

There are several registered spambots.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I'm a spam bot and we'll never *ever* go away! Muhahahaha!  :twisted:

Sorry.. yeah I think they're pretty freaking annoying, myself.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

We're aware of, and working on, the issue.  More posts and more threads discussing it won't improve the situation.

Thanks,
 X