A way to fix barter gone wrong

Started by creeper386, August 10, 2006, 03:16:44 AM

What I'd like, is if you happen to mess up on a bartering attempt making the merchant not happen with you, is to have a way to fix that sooner then just waiting for them to forget you. Either a way to buy them off with some sort of bribe, maybe a way to give them more for their stuff so they are happy again, or possibly a way to just talk them out of it if you are a shewd bargainer and just happened to make a mistake this time around.

What do other people think?
21sters Unite!

You get five chances to make a deal. After the fourth one, it's pretty plain that they're tired of haggling, and you can take their price or take a flying fuck.

While I like the idea of being able to bribe them back into a trading mood, this is one of those 'whatever' ideas, for me anyway.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Five chances, WP?  Don't know how to say this any gentler and without giving out information I think it's more fun for people to learn themselves...but you're wrong.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

If you have a massive typo they can get pissed off on the first attempt.  Like if there's an item that sells for 120 and you meant to offer 100 but you accidentally offer 10, and they tell you to go away.  And then I'm all like "Undo!  Undo!" but sadly there is no undo.   :cry:

Yeah, a way to mollify an offended merchant would be good.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

There is another side to this I think also needs to be remembered.  The dreaded under barter typo.

You accidentally barter an item (say selling) for just one coin instead of 100 and they gladly accept, taking no other deals afterwhich because compared to say, 1 coin, anything else sucks.

A way to fix barter gone wrong I think shoule be looked at much more closely.

Well, I certainly agree with underseven that, that should be looked at as well. As I've had that happen recently and just wasn't remembering it.
21sters Unite!

How's this?  Take out us inputting numbers at all.
> offer cloak

The merchant tells you: "I'll sell you that cloak for 100 coins."

> haggle

After some haggling, the merchant tells you: "I'll sell you that cloak for 90 coins."

> haggle

After some haggling, the merchant tells you, angrily: "I'll sell you that cloak for 90 coins."

> barter

The merchant gives you that cloak in exchange for a large pile of coins.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"How's this?  Take out us inputting numbers at all.
> offer cloak

The merchant tells you: "I'll sell you that cloak for 100 coins."

> haggle

After some haggling, the merchant tells you: "I'll sell you that cloak for 90 coins."

> haggle

After some haggling, the merchant tells you, angrily: "I'll sell you that cloak for 90 coins."

> barter

The merchant gives you that cloak in exchange for a large pile of coins.

That might work, bit would you do the same if you are buying something? How would it work. What if you are trying to buy multiples and you end up with the same item in your inventory and it tries to sell it when you are buying?
21sters Unite!

Okay...how about this syntax for buying:
> offer buy cloak
...and this for selling:
> offer sell cloak
with the rest being the same?  On a succesful skill check, the 'haggle' command would increase the price when selling and decrease when buying.  The 'barter' command to close the deal as usual.

Editted to add:  In addition, since people have complained that when you haggle a price down once, you should be able to get the same price for buying a second...
> offer buy flour 10

The merchant says: "I'll sell you 10 sacks of flour for 100 coins."