Oldesc (code suggestion)

Started by Delirium, August 09, 2006, 12:37:47 PM

My suggestion (copied from my post in another thread in Ask the Players):

The command:
oldesc <keyword> <ldesc>

(command is short for "object long description")

Usage:
Changing the long descriptions of objects in the room.

Dropdescing would still work, but you could alternatively change the ldesc of something already on the ground without having to pick it up.

Example:

>look

This is a bedroom.  It has white walls, a lurid purple floor, and cracks in the ceiling.  There does so happen to be a door.
A dresser is here.
A bed is here.

>oldesc bed stands by the southern wall, covers rumpled.
The new ldesc is:
A bed stands by the southern wall, covers rumpled.

>oldesc dresser Looming near the north wall is ~.
The new ldesc is:
Looming near the north wall is a dresser.

>look
This is a bedroom.  It has white walls, a lurid purple floor, and cracks in the ceiling.  There does so happen to be a door.
Looming near the north wall is a dresser.
A bed stands by the southern wall, covers rumpled.

I think that an alteration to an item's ldesc needs to have an echo, in which case a command like this would be only marginally better than using get/drop.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I think that an alteration to an item's ldesc needs to have an echo, in which case a command like this would be only marginally better than using get/drop.

Why?

You're forgetting that some things are too heavy to lift.

Also, I see no reason why it needs an echo - or are we going to worry about abuse in changing item ldescs, too?  I don't see how it could be, and certainly not to the point that it's detrimental enough to need an echo.

First, I think you can still set drop-descs even if you can't fully lift something.

Second, setting an object's ldesc implies an actual IC manipulation (except in the case of ldescs lost on reboot, which is another issue, one that should be fixed if possible).  Commands that imply an IC manipulation need echos.  Abuse is certainly a concern, but it's more about game code consistency and situational awareness.

If you want to set one just for game flavor or to reset a dropdesc, having an echo isn't a big problem and most people will ignore it or you can ooc about it.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"First, I think you can still set drop-descs even if you can't fully lift something.

Can't. :)

An echo would be irritating and difficult to phrase correctly, but it's still more seamless than 'get/drop', which is often jarring and makes little sense from an IC standpoint.

Also, I've seen the ability to set object ldescs with no echo before, and it worked perfectly.  There was no abuse, people emoted if necessary to the scene.  I really think we can trust our Armageddon players to do the same.

I suppose, as I've said, my main problem is with an echo-less command.  A command that can be used to change the world needs to echo and it needs to echo who did it.  All the others do.

I am soooo with Delirium on this one.  Especially if you have an apartment with containers for materials (indy merchants), or are an agent/merchant/whatever for a House.

As for an echo, it doesn't echo when I change my ldesc, so the same for an object should take place.  Plus, just be sure to set the ldesc when you emote touching/adjusting/moving the object.

Change ldesc doesn't echo.  Why should oldesc?

You could change ldesc that you're flying in the air and doing somersaults, but that's obvious abuse. I fail to see how an echo-less object ldesc command could be abused in any worse fashion.

If you have an echo, then you have silly redunancies like:

The skinny fop heaves and pushes, hauling a big bed over to the western wall.

The skinny fop moves a big bed.

Why not just let the player emote it, if it's truly necessary to do so?

People can see an ldesc and they know who's ldesc it is.

Clarification, then: either it needs to echo and show who did it, or be seen and show who's doing it.

I want this in, but I agree with Moe, it should echo.  We have echos for other things that are IC or OOC, and this would be IC or OOC.  I don't care if there's a redundant echo.  We see those quite often anyway.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't REALLY see the need for an echo, but I guess something like
The lithe, ebon-haired woman adjusts a flower-patterned white stone vase.
wouldn't be too bad.

I'd love to see this go in. Personally, I don't care if it echoes or not. I trust players to emote when necessary, and I stop seeing the echoes between emotes after a while anyway.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Best of both worlds:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21840

So where do I send the beer and hookers, Morg?