Should Arrow-heads be brought back for those who want them?

Started by John, February 22, 2003, 01:23:53 AM

Yes or No?

Yes
12 (40%)
No
7 (23.3%)
I don't know
1 (3.3%)
I don't care
7 (23.3%)
Cheese [Token Throw away Option]
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 22, 2003, 01:23:53 AM

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to bring back arrowheads.

IMO arrowheads would cause more damage then sharp stones, but both can be used in conjunction (and were IRL). IMO Arrowheads would have more damage as they'd be better crafted. It'd be good for master fletchers who have the time and resources to craft arrowheads.

So what does everyone think?

Arrowheads were nice in the south, where rocks are common but shaft materials are rare.  You could craft arrowheads untill you had 10 or more heads, and then tackle the riskier and more expensive buisness of making shafts and binding the arrows together.  But maybe getting better at shafts  by chipping heads was unrealistic skill maxing or something.  :shrug:  

Poor Sanvean, she changes fletchery because people are complaining about it being too time consuming to craft all those parts, and then people start complaining about how they miss crafting arrowheads.

I suppose the ideal, make everybody happy, solution would be if you could use either "craft shard shaft feather" or "craft arrowhead shaft feather" and get an arrow either way.  It doesn't matter if you use a long branch or a thick branch to make the arrowshaft, you get the same kind of arrow either way.  This would let northerners, who have easy access to shaft material, skip wasting a lot of shards trying to make arrowheads, while at the same time allowing southern fletchers to go nuts with arrowheads while they save up money to buy expensive bone shaft material.  That assumes you consider a solution that makes everybody happy to be ideal.  I say let 'em suffer.   :twisted:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think arrowheads would be better not for master fletchers, but for people just beginning. In some parts of the world, stone is plentiful and arrow shafts aren't, so chipping out a few hundred arrowheads is a good way to get some practice before you go breaking valuable shafts :)

Hmm... I'd prefer at least the option to make arrow heads if I wanted to, would prefer if it made a difference code-wise but doubt the staff would want to go through fixing it the REAL good way to fix it. If you don't want to take the time to make arrow heads you don't have to but your arrows aren't going to be as good type of thing... SHRUG.

I'd prefer making arrow heads then taking the easy way out... But I dont' remember the discussion that got it tooken away.

Creeper who probably posted in that discussion too.
21sters Unite!

I know, I felt bad when thinking up the idea, but when I saw a couple of other people wish they could have the arrowheads back I thought I'd make a poll.

I personally am against making fletchery easier, always have been. But then again I've never had a fletcher.

Considering how quickly you can go through 20 arrows when compared to say, a spear or a sword or a breastplate, fletchery is insanely difficult, expensive and time-consuming compared to the other crafting skills.
I think part of the idea with removing the arrowhead step was to cut down a little on the time investment (which was about 25 minutes to an hour per arrow, when you factor in time foraging for a shard, chipping it, finding shaft material, shaping a shaft, then putting it all together into an arrow). It was a good idea, I've just never been convinced it was the right part of the process to nerf.

A good alternative would be to, like, have one shaft object and one arrowhead object and one feather object end up creating maybe one to five arrows, dependent on the level of success. Everquest fletchery was altered to work along this principle, and it saved a lot of time and frustration for people who lived by the bow :)

Well you see, for those people that were complaining about waisting time chipping arrowheads... Well they can just use the plain rocks. See this would make since, their arrows wouldn't be as good. The people that acctually don't mind doing things alittle more accurately can go though each and every process and have better arrows.

Yes, this would take alot more work to fix things basically back how they were except with being able to make arrows with out making arrowheads... but I really don't see why they took ALL that out in the first place... Just because it was difficult? Well making arrows really isn't that easy. It wasn't commonly done during a fight when you run out of arrows or anything. Before also it was a problem probably with carrying around alot of arrowheads or carrying around alot of arrow shafts was really heavy too, although I think shards might way abit too much still most of this is probably fixed. You can make a bunch of arrow shafts, and carry then about untill you find a place to get shards you can then GET a bunch of shards, and go to a place and make them into arrow heads... I think it'd be alot quicker when making them all at once instead of foraging one thing, foraging another thing, making and arrow, then going back and foraging one thing, foraging the next thing, and making an arrow, just because it was too heavy to carry everything around.

I just think it'd be funner to be able to make your own arrowheads still, it seems to me the objects are still there, the craft code would just need to be inputted... And maybe the arrows tweaked abit so that the it'd make a difference if it was crafted with a shard or with an arrowhead. Still alot of work. Maybe it was just too hard or the time delay on crafting is abit long... I know when you are making one arrowshaft out of a branch it takes a good minute or so... Maybe it's shorter later on, but with that wait and having a full branch I think you might be able to make more then one arrow shaft myself, but then that might make it too easy along with the fact that you don't have to make arrow heads... SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Why don't you just emote the crafting of the arrowheads, or use virtual arrowheads in your crafting of arrows?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

IMHO fletchery to keep your quiver full is only a viable option as your arrow skills get really, really good.  And that's with the requirements for crafting your foraged arrowhead nerfed.

Please don't change it, that seems perfect to me.

Quote from: "crymerci"Why don't you just emote the crafting of the arrowheads, or use virtual arrowheads in your crafting of arrows?

Huh?  Why not toss the crafting code and just emote making stuff?  And then toss the fighting code too.  Hunters can go out the wilderness, emote hunting down a beast, emote killing it, emote skinning it, emote eating it's sweet flesh, and then emote wearing it's bloody, smelly hide as an asshat.   :?   Obviously I don't understand your point.

Arrowheads aren't just for arrows anymore.  A desperate fletcher who can't find or can't afford all the components he needs to make complete arrows can sell off the pieces.  Arrowheads are worth a little more than the raw shards.  Arrow shafts are worth a little more than branches, and are lighter too.  If you live in an area where shaft materials are hard to come by (most of the known world) then you can make and sell arrowheads until you find a good source of shafts.  Arrowheads are as usefull as individual izdari pieces.

Arrowheads are also good for scattering around your campsite, along with pottery shards, as something to amuse future archeologists and keep them off the streets.   8)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'm absolutely fine with leaving the arrowhead crafting stage out, I remember why it was removed in the first place, because fletchery was really too much of a pain, and having to not craft the arrowheads was the compromise between being able to craft sheaf arrows and flight arrows. Yes, flight arrows would have been muuuuuuuuuuch to much work for it to really be worthwhile. I think fletchery is good right now.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Quote from: "crymerci"Why don't you just emote the crafting of the arrowheads, or use virtual arrowheads in your crafting of arrows?

Huh?  Why not toss the crafting code and just emote making stuff?  And then toss the fighting code too.  Hunters can go out the wilderness, emote hunting down a beast, emote killing it, emote skinning it, emote eating it's sweet flesh, and then emote wearing it's bloody, smelly hide as an asshat.   :?   Obviously I don't understand your point.

My point was, you start with the same materials and end with the same results, either way. That would be the difference between my example and yours.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

And you could still do that crymerci. I'm not saying force everyone to start making arrowheads again. I'm for allowing people to make arrowheads IF THEY WANT TOO.

AC already said the advantages (arrowheads are more expensive then shards).

QuotePoor Sanvean, she changes fletchery because people are complaining about it being too time consuming to craft all those parts, and then people start complaining about how they miss crafting arrowheads.

I've grown inured to it over the years.  :wink:

Something I notice is it seems to be a 1 for 1 deal on crafting arrows, Though I have never made any myself:)

I think it would be nice, and help if larger stones and branches and such could be crafted into several shafts and heads, maybe this would make everyone happy, then you could craft the parts in bulk so not so much time would be spent on foraging and crafting the components but leaving the arrow crafting time the same.

shrug
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job