New '&' emote token

Started by Delirium, August 04, 2006, 05:09:52 PM

08/04/2006: Added & emote parsing token -- Tiernan

Quote from: "Emoting helpfile"&      himself/herself    yourself

So, this is neat.. but I'm not sure how we're going to fit 'herself' and 'yourself' into emotes?

To be perfectly honest, I would have rather seen & be a token for 'his/hers' and 'yours'.

>emote swats out at ~sucker, locking his blade with &sucker!
The man swats out at you, locking his blade with yours!

I'm drawing a blank on examples incorporating 'himself/herself' that can't easily be replaced with his/hers/yours, sorry. :P

emote glances around self-consciously, then looks at ~delirium, pointing at &me with a quizzical look on ^me face.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

That can so easily be typed out - and how often do you need someone to see the word 'yourself'?

Again, not really a bitch, just a "this is me, puzzled" post.

There has been a lot of cry for a 'yours' qualifier in the past, but I've never noticed a need for 'yourself'.

Can someone please give some examples? I am confused of its possible usages. It may be helpful when using with "order NPC emote..." .. or may it?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

I may be obtuse also; can see it beneficial when using NPC slaves/guards etc though.

[edit, same thing Gaare said]
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Even if you were ordering an NPC to emote something, you can still just type out "herself" or "himself", because they're NPCs.

One example, however rare is it might be, could be "emote stops fighting ~man to let ~dude fight by &dude"

The tall, muscular dwarf stops fighting the tanned man to let the yellow-skinned dude fight by himself.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Yea... hate to sound ungrateful, but "yours/hers/his" is much much much more needed than "yourself/herself/himself".
b]YB <3[/b]

Tiernan, thank you for the new emote option.

These people are all whiny.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

No, we're puzzled why something we've asked for countless times is ignored and instead we get something equivalent that we've never wanted and that has very little use.
b]YB <3[/b]

Expressing genuine puzzlement and making a suggestion is being a whiner?

I usually respect your posts 7DV, but that was pretty judgemental.

I never intended to "whine" and have expressly said that in my above posts.

I really really really want "yours/his/hers" too..

And could also appreciate some examples for & as it boggles me as well :)

Tried to use it in-game earlier but that didn't work /quite/ well...
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I also can't see how we could use this, and... I don't think asking about it is being whiny, at all.
subdue thread
release thread pit

New commands are always great. I just won't really be using this one. I'd have to be actively coming up with excuses to make use of the new emote, and that's silly.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I shouldn't have said it without a :)

It was a joke.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Uh, doesn't ^ give you the his/hers thing?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"Uh, doesn't ^ give you the his/hers thing?

^ gives you "his object" or "her object," not his/hers. So you can use it for male characters to sub for his/hers, but not female.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Ah. My mistake.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"Ah. My mistake.

It's ok, I had to check the help on "emoting" to see the difference myself ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

First, thanks for the new emote token.

I do agree, though, that it seems to be something that will rarely be needed.  

I tried to come up with an example.  One that came to mind:

emote coughs and takes a step away as ~dwarf dusts &dwarf off.

The problem there being the dust/dusts issue from the perspective of the dwarf.  

say (approaching the bench where ~amos sit by &amos) May I join you?

Similar issue.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

emote as ~halaster dusts &halaster off, @ sneaks behind !halaster and kicks !halaster in the butt.

As Halaster the Shroud of Death dusts himself off, Djarjak sneaks behind him and kicks him in the butt.

As you dust yourself off, Djarjak sneaks behind you and kicks you in the butt.

As Halaster the Shroud of Death dusts himself off, you sneaks behind him and kicks him in the butt.

et voila. It is explained.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Ahh, this works.  Thanks.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

Alright, here's my little attempt to end the whining, and it is whining.  Don't fool yourselves.  You could have just made another thread to advocate the idea instead of questioning the utility of what's been implemented.

Quote from: "Delirium"
>emote swats out at ~sucker, locking his blade with &sucker!
The man swats out at you, locking his blade with yours!

There is a way to do something with the same meaning using the current code.

>emote swats out at ~sucker, locking his blade with ^sucker own!
The man swats out at you, locking his blade with your own!

The only situation I can think of where this gets a little awkward is where the target is only referenced once, and the sdesc is used, but even if the "yours" idea was implemented, this would still be a bit awkward.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

We often pick low-hanging fruit when looking to tackle new systems.  Often, the picking of low-hanging fruit is a prelude to working one's way further up the tree in a safe, cautious manner, because we respect and fear the hoary old tree.

Sometimes, while picking fruit, someone skips along through your orchard and shouts up at you about how lame all this low-hanging fruit you pick is, and how you're not meeting their needs and desires for that fruit at the top, and why are you wasting all your time with it when the really GOOD fruit is higher up??

I'm not speaking for Tiernan, but when that happens to me, it makes me want to stop picking fruit.

-- X

The word "countless" is a trifle on the hyperbolic side.  I mean...come on.  

An approach that leads with an acknowledgement that someone has made an effort that -then- says, "Hey, while you're working on that, maybe this is possible" would go a bit farther than some of the posts in here.  Right now the majority of the responses seem designed to make a coder go "Okay, I guess I won't bother with anything", which I would rather the coders not be thinking, myself.

It's a relatively small change and, like many of the code changes won't have a massive overall effect on the game, but it -is- something that people have requested at least a few times.

Waiting in the wings are the emote parsing tokens "=" and "+".

These will work thusly:

Symbol    Reference    Target Sees
     ------    ---------    -----------
       =       (sdesc)'s       yours
       +       his/hers        yours

Apparently I should have waited until all three were live instead of publishing the changes as they went live individually.  Personally, I dislike publishing early because when I do publish a change prior to a reboot that incorporates it, inevitably there are wishes, bugs and email reporting that it's not working.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.