Storms...

Started by Guest2, August 03, 2006, 06:14:57 AM

Storms are all well and good in a desert environment, but more often than not they seem to last for IG weeks, minimum being a week. I'm starting to feel like this really inhibits roleplay and development. Not all players can play all day everyday and waiting for RL days for a sandstorm to end can be really frustrating. RL sandstorms can last A COUPLE of days..REALLY bad ones - maybe a week, but usually a day tops.

Can't something be done about the storms to make them come and go between IG days rather than continuosly lasting throughout RL days?

I know what you mean. I find it annoying....Extremely so sometimes but they are a vital part in the setting I think.

I just don't log on when they are up and I need to do something outside....I go out RL instead :D

Gotta love rangers.

:)

Seriously though, storms show no problems to the nomadic types. If you wanna go storm wandering, then I highly suggest picking 'ranger' as your guild.

Storms suck. What if you just want to travel somewhere? But no, you're stuck for weeks upon weeks. I think they're important for the setting too, but I agree its unrealistic for there to never be breaks in them. Sandstorms should stop at some point, apart from the weekly reboot.

Some genious will come here soon and he will say that "it is Arm. Life is harsh, so Arm also." or "It is realistic, don't you know that storms at bla bla country lasts bla bla days?" and then he will add some pics of sand storms in real world. Then they will idioticly(they may say scientificly) describe nature of real storm, and they will transform the idea into harsh Arm world....

Most people here has unlimited free time to play Arm it seems, so they will not understand you (including Staff). Halaster spent time on storm code, so he will not "comment out" that storm code even though he accepts that his code sucks.

So, guys! get used to it. It won't change. It's been years, and complaints about storms continues. AND it WILL continue, but NO1 will CARE
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Aye, I really like the storm code, wouldn't be right without it. Just that sometimes I get kinda annoyed...Even when I'm playing a ranger :P

Quote from: "Cavus"Some genious will come here soon and he will say that "it is Arm. Life is harsh, so Arm also." or "It is realistic, don't you know that storms at bla bla country lasts bla bla days?" and then he will add some pics of sand storms in real world. Then they will idioticly(they may say scientificly) describe nature of real storm, and they will transform the idea into harsh Arm world....

Most people here has unlimited free time to play Arm it seems, so they will not understand you (including Staff). Halaster spent time on storm code, so he will not "comment out" that storm code even though he accepts that his code sucks.

So, guys! get used to it. It won't change. It's been years, and complaints about storms continues. AND it WILL continue, but NO1 will CARE

Well I asked Jeeves...and he said:

Sometimes the sandstorms last for two or three days but they can even last for up to a week.

Bow to Jeeves.

Hey, sometimes I WANT storms...but it seems like sometimes you can't get bad weather in the game to save your life, and sometimes that's exactly why you want the storm.  Lately, I've seen fewer storm than normal it seems.  It's frustrating.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Hey, sometimes I WANT storms...but it seems like sometimes you can't get bad weather in the game to save your life, and sometimes that's exactly why you want the storm.  Lately, I've seen fewer storm than normal it seems.  It's frustrating.

Weirdo. Can we swap chars please?

Heh, sorry.  The only reason I want storms is because they inconvenience my character less than others...not because they don't inconvenience my character.  One of the reasons it doesn't inconvenience my character is my knowledge of the game and how some things work.

I'm not saying you couldn't succesfully do what I'm doing with my character...just that you'll probably need a bit more time to catch up.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Well that's ok. Cause I was joking. I love my char. But goddamn I'm bored.

Well, it is a bit odd but yes, I want storms too.  Heh, and sometimes I get frustrated when it is all "clear skies".  So, before I get a beating because of this, I would suggest making a ranger if you are planning to spend more time in outside of the cities.  Or if you are playing a city character and occasionally visiting the desert, I would suggest making an alternative work for your character in the city, in case he is stuck inside.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Beux"Bow to Jeeves.

LORD TEMPLAR JEEVES  *behead*
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Cavus"
Halaster spent time on storm code, so he will not "comment out" that storm code even though he accepts that his code sucks.

I never spent time on storm code.  I may have fixed a minor bug somewhere, but I've never spent any serious time on it.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Djarjak"We're aware this is a problem.
How is this a problem?  Seems realistic to me.

Sandstorms that don't stop for 6 weeks...are not realistic.   :?

I have never seen ONE sandstorm that lasted that long.  They do go away and come back.  You may just be unlucky enough to always be on when there is one there.

Editted to add: Rather, I should say that I haven't bothered to remain logged in that long to find out.  I'd wager most of you are in the same boat as me.

I waited online for a good 14 hours...for 4 days. And it was storming contiously while I was logged. However, I admit that it is possible that the storms might have the same sleeping pattern as me. If this is the case.

Damn them.

I should also add, storms of the caliber that rage for days endlessly...should easily be flooding the entire surrounding cities and villages with as much sand as out in the open. You've seen the pics. They're hundreds of feet high. No poxy wall will stop that, well, maybe the Shield Wall.

Quote from: "Beux"Sandstorms that don't stop for 6 weeks...are not realistic.   :?

Mind you, this is not Earth. These are two different worlds we are talking about here. Depending on what part of the world you live in, it might be common for certain parts of the world to have constant storms. Theres times when you need to sacrifice realism for more interesting things and this is one of them. I am a big fan of the storm code.

*It saves lives*
Like someone said before, it can save your life. It blinds all those nasty critters that are out there to get you, those raiders sitting at the end of the roads, and those unexpecting occurrences that happen. I with they were always this nice.

*Group meeting*
It brings everyone together in the cities for hours of tavernsitting. This is one of the greatest things the storm code and other codes brings to us. The game would be a hell of a lot boring if everyone was scattered about and sat around in the wilderness.

*Think Again*
It challenges us as players to find a way back into the cities, how to earn income during the storm, how you will get back onto your feet when the ends, and etc. It also creates some physical challenges for our characters that can be deadly. I lurve it. Sometimes, you have the chance to lose your character's life and glory, being trapped in the sandstorm.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

The problem with storms as they are is that when you get a storm, you have sandstorm conditions for the next few real days, which sucks, to say the least.  I'd much prefer having more regular sandstorms than the current superstorms we get.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I haven't got a problem with sandstorms. I think they're an awesome idea. It is, like Dalmeth said, the fact that they last for multiple RL days, which can leave people trapped and extremely bored.

Imagine how bored you'd be OOC'ly if you were trapped for a RL week. By the end of it, you'd be like,

"Armageddon? Whats that?"

Quote from: "Beux"I haven't got a problem with sandstorms. I think they're an awesome idea. It is, like Dalmeth said, the fact that they last for multiple RL days, which can leave people trapped and extremely bored.

Imagine how bored you'd be OOC'ly if you were trapped for a RL week. By the end of it, you'd be like,

"Armageddon? Whats that?"

Its something you have to deal with.
Sandstorms are not the only thing that causes OOC boredom for RL days. :cry:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.