Coded virtual skills

Started by Marauder Moe, July 29, 2006, 05:29:09 PM

There's been an idea I've been tossing around in my head about a way to code virtual skills, such as singing, instrument playing, hairdressing, juggling, anything that a player normally just emotes.

Give each player, say, three virtual skills (arbitrary number, could be anything, could be unlimited).  Players get to give a name to their virtual skill, pick whether it's an easy skill, moderately hard skill, or very difficult skill, and also get to pick which stat it's based off of.

After that, there would a command to use said virtual that takes arguments determining how difficult the task you're attempting is.  The command returns success, failure, or possibly even degrees of each.  The virtual skill would also improve like normal skills.

It has no room echos, no effect on other players at all really.  The point is to have a guideline for more realistically learning and using a virtual skill.

Thoughts?

Sounds almost like an emote.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Do we need code for this?
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Dan"Sounds almost like an emote.

Not at all.  It is to give you a guideline as to how well you'd be at [insert thingy here].

Quote from: "Hymwen"Do we need code for this?

Maybe if it was optional.  I think it would help some people judge how skillful they should be.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

I don't like it, its a not so slippery slope towards a game like Firan where how another PC's  roleplaying effect my PC, everything swindling to seducing, is determined by code.

I know it is far from what is being suggested...but the old saying the road to hell is paved with good intentions come to mind. I know code is needed in alot of situations to determine the outcome (like combat) but the less code determines Roleplaying the better, at least in my humble opinion.

In short, I'd leave learning of virtual skills to the players.