2 (5.3%)
Don't care
3 (7.9%)
Cheese [Token Throw away Option]
7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: February 20, 2003, 04:05:03 PM

This idea came from this thread.

IIRC the Imms were actually considering a "newbie city" for newbies to go to. It was knocked back IIRC because people felt it would be unpopulated and a waste of time.

Well how about a newbie city that people who don't currently have a character are allowed to go to? Sort of like a "city for the dead". The city would ONLY be a city big. Perhaps a smaller version of Allanak.

I personally love the idea.

To be honest, I don't see the point.

If we had 400 people playing at peak times, then I'd be all for it.

As it is IRC, the GDB, ISCA, what-have-you already detract from the time that people would normally be playing.  To add in some sort of OOC forum for while people wait would invariably become a party scene.

I don't hate the idea, I just do not think our current playerbase needs anymore Armageddon-related diversions.

But I could be misunderstanding you.

Quote from: "Delirium"To be honest, I don't see the point.
The point is it'd be a place for people to go when their waiting for when they're waiting for their characters to be approved (boredom has been a complaint since the char app system was put in place). Other advantages would be newbies get to test out the emote system among other things while they wait for their first char. Players can also offer tips for them (without using the dreaded OOC command).

Good points CRW. To cut down on that, It could make it so you can ONLY go in there when you don't have a char (with the exception of Helpers).

Helpers could also have their sdesc highlighted to stand out for newbies.

Problems:
1. People twink out their stats to find out what branches from what.
2. People kill newbies for fun.
3. People finding out about secret areas from the game.
4. Newbies seeing this and thinking the game isn't a RP mud.
5. People create bad sdescs and ldescs (e.g. The 1337 HaXX0R d00D).

Possible solutions:
1. Have it so skills can't be branched
2. If your ever reported of doing this you get banned (can go back. Case-by-case though).
3. Have a pretend city or a simplified version of Allanak.
4. Don't have newbies go there by default.
5. Have predetermined sdescs and ldescs. You can have customised ones, but this will need you to app them.

I like the idea of haveing a place for the Newbies of Arm to learn about the game before they wonder off into the desert and get munched by a tarantula or gortok (though I've saved my own skin several times by running across such newbie corpses and finding their cash still on them....).

Here is an idea about the shortdesc's in "Newbie City".  Have a series of choices for each short description.  Example:

1.What is your name?:

2.Chose two of the following:

A.Eye color
B.Skin color
C.Hair color
D.Remarkable feature

A.EYE COLOR

a.black
b.blue
c.green
d.orange
e.gray

etc....

Just stick in a few of these choices and only make, say, two or three available for their shortdesc.  Saves the staff the trouble of looking over applications for short description changes
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I like what's been outlined so far. Helpers and other players who are there not to learn, but just to... be there, can have customized descriptions and whatnot. I would suggest very limited combat code, force flee at half hp and whatnot. And, I would suggest no skill gaining. In fact, you shouldn't really have any 'skill's The point of the thing would be to just hang in an Arm-like environment between characters right?

I just don't know how IC it would be treated. If anything, it should be treated as a different world, and have that fact be strictly outlined to Newbies when they come in.

I wouldn't default Newbies there either, but you know, have it as a strong reccomendation in the Intro information.

Those are just my thoughts though. Not sure if they fall in line with what John had planned.

Good idea Pale Horse. I wanted to keep it as simplistic as possible in my first post.

Quote from: "Tony"I would suggest very limited combat code, force flee at half hp and whatnot.
I disagree. I've had A LOT of newbie deaths because I just didn't understand something about the code with combat. It'd be a REALLY good place for newbies to learn, it also wouldn't spoil anything as no skills would be branchable.

Quote from: "Tony"I would suggest no skill gaining
Good idea.

Quote from: "Tony"In fact, you shouldn't really have any 'skill's The point of the thing would be to just hang in an Arm-like environment between characters right?
I disagree. Your partly true about it being a hang out for people, but then I realised it'd also make a great newbie area. Again little knowledge would be spoilt because you can only do the starting skills (and craft the starting items).

Quote from: "Tony"I just don't know how IC it would be treated. If anything, it should be treated as a different world, and have that fact be strictly outlined to Newbies when they come in.
Great idea. I thought I'd made that clear, thanks. Also there should be strict guidelines as to what info can be divulged. Such as:
* If newbie X says "what items do I need to be a stonecrafter" (an example)
* If a newbie asks where X is.

Places that SHOULDN'T be in the city (assuming it's a clone of Allanak):
* Noble's Quarter
* Templar's Quarter
* Merchant Compounds
* Interior of Byn Compound
* Secret places that you need a skill to get to
* Interior of houses (possibly replaced with other interiors)
* The 'rinth
* Desert (possibly a smaller version to learn how to use hunting skills)

Logistical Problems:
1. Stores get filled with items
2. People start collecting up on items
3. People running out of money
4. Place getting littered with dead bodies and items
5. Getting killed 24/7

Possible Solutions:
1. Purge the stores' inventory periodically
2. Purge inventories periodically (once every logged in 24 hours?)
3. Getting free money from the bank
4. Purge the ground periodically for dead-bodies/items.
5. Make it impossible to be killed (once you die, transport body to the Gaj with items).

What about an area that's designated as an OOC area, rather than a newbie area? Where everyone logs into before landing in the game? They'd show up as their account name with no description so no one would know who they are in the game.

The commands would all work, except that the combat system woudn't actually cause damage. Maybe it would simulate it, with the dodging and hitting and nicking and stuff, just so people can see how it works. And maybe limit combat to a sparring area in the OOC area so people trying to help newbies with non-combat stuff don't have to deal with the spam.

Then when you're ready you go through a door or jump off a ledge or just type "enter_arm" or something and it would be just as if you hit "e" on the arm menu we have now.

People with accounts who haven't submitted a character app yet could learn what -not- to do right then and there from whoever else is up there, helpers wouldn't have to give out their AIM or ICQ info to strangers, IMMs could pop up to intervene if it's needed, maybe have a private consulting room just for that...
ugar and Spice

I like Bardex idea for simulated combat and it a restrictive place if something like this was put in.

But I wouldn't like to have to go through it everytime I log into the mud even if it was just a small command that I'd have to enter... Already have to go through TWO menus, and a news thingy... Isn't that enough?

Also I wouldn't give out my account name to anyone.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

You would still only have to go through two menus.

menu 1: login your account. Once your account and password are entered, you automatically show up AS YOUR ACCOUNT NAME in the OOC area. Maybe the room you show up in would have a virtual board with its menu so you can check your mail, or enter the game itself, or check your stats, turn vt/100 off, or whatever else the current second menu has.

But in addition to that second menu, you could ALSO walk north to the OOC bulletin board (like the one posted somewhere in each city saying "GBD down" or whatever), or east to a conference room to attend a game-wide OOC meeting with the staff, etc. etc. etc.

And when you log your *character* off, you show back up in the OOC area, where you would then close your account, or remain in the OOC area and get help if you're a newbie, or offer help if you find someone needing it, etc.
ugar and Spice

They'd still then have my account name. Which I already said I wouldn't be giving out. Even though people can see the account names of people submitting items, I'd still not rather being in a place with account names... Specially if someone sees those names and thinks it reflects on the MUD some how.

Also, I wouldn't want to be harrased everytime I log into the MUD... I'm the type of person that well normally stop and help someone if they aren't an ass about it, so I'd end up never acctually getting into the MUD if someone was in the "OOC Area"

I really am starting not to like the idea... If this is just to help out newbies more... I'd say advertise the helpers more... Sure maybe this would make it so they wouldn't have to give out their IM nicks and such... But considering they have agreed to help out, and their emails are plastered on a webpage... the help can still be giving just through email if a helper didn't want to give out a messenger nick they wouln't have to. Or like I've heard someone say they have a seperate log in JUST for being a helper if they don't feeling like helping they don't log on that one.

If there aren't enough current helpers... Well I'm sure there is enough people about that know enough to help and are willing to help out. Most the questions I personally see are mostly covered in the documents here and there you just have to have alittle knowledge of where stuff is at to find the answers. *SHRUG* I don't know.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Well it's to help newbies AND to give people something to do while char-less. Also, sometimes no amount of talking between e-mails will help said newbie. Sometimes you need to stand there and help them blow by blow.

It was just an idea. Most people seem to dislike it.

I don't like the idea of you having to go to this area when you log in, or that your account name is used. There are -tons- of abuse issues with that. It's sort of like looking at someone in the Hall of Kings, you just don't do it. Otherwise, I like the idea.

Easy enough to fix: make it work like /nick does in IRC, only you do it before you show up.

1) enter the game
2) enter the game as
3) read mail
4) toggle vt/100
etc.

enter the game as: (type in nickname)
MishuPork

You drop down into a busy hallway cluttered with papers and knicknacks.
Also here: Snoopy, SykotikGith, YoMama

l YoMama
You see YoMama, a wandering traveler.

l me
You are MishuPork, a wandering visitor.
ugar and Spice

Easy enough to fix: make it work like /nick does in IRC, only you do it before you show up.

1) enter the game
2) enter the game as
3) read mail
4) toggle vt/100
etc.

enter the game as: (type in nickname)
MishuPork

You drop down into a busy hallway cluttered with papers and knicknacks.
Also here: Snoopy, SykotikGith, YoMama

l YoMama
You see YoMama, a wandering traveler.

l me
You are MishuPork, a wandering visitor.
ugar and Spice

Why not just do:

E> Enter Zalanthas
N> Enter Newbie City

Yeah, a choice to go to the Newbie City would be much much better. And still, I wouldn't want to see account names...