hemotes

Started by Beux, July 27, 2006, 11:55:00 AM

hemotes are unlikely to be seen by any of the general surrounding people...but if you include another person in the hemote...do they see it too?

for example...

hemote nudges ~pc softly as he passes.

Would the other pc see this?

Not unless they succeed at the spot check, and thus you shouldn't really use hemotes for actions with physical contact.

Mmmm, but you so should be able to...they'd still be hidden from the majority of people? But more often than not you want to be able to interact subtly with someone else without everyone seeing.

Hmm, then try and get their attention and have them watch your character. :)

People who hemote rock.

That isn't the purpose of hemote, though.  The code can't tell the difference between an emote involving touch and one that isn't.  There are plenty of reasons you'd want to hemote with a ~target and not have your target neccesarily see it.

Not everyone should be able to see you playing footsies under the table with Aide #352135.. So yah, I don't think physical hemotes are bad :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Okay, then we totally need another emote. Uhmm... 'hpcemote'

hidden physical contact emote

For hidden interactions with others, that the other person involved is aware of. Totally need it.

Quote from: "Beux"Okay, then we totally need another emote. Uhmm... 'hpcemote'

hidden physical contact emote

For hidden interactions with others, that the other person involved is aware of. Totally need it.

But we come full circle back to my point in my last post - somebody has to be paying attention to you in order to catch the subtle gestures found in hemotes.  Therefore, if you get their attention and have them "watch" your character, then you can converse back and forth.  Just be mindful that people with higher watch and scan can also pick up on these gestures.

But thats no fun.

Surely kicking someone under the table....with a hpcemote (catchy eh) would be a way to get their attention. Without anyone else seeing. Just because there is a way to do it with hemotes and getting people to watch you...doesn't mean it couldn't be done BETTER.

Quote from: "Malken"Not everyone should be able to see you playing footsies under the table with Aide #352135.. So yah, I don't think physical hemotes are bad :)
They're bad because Aide #352135 might not "see" you playing footsie with him/her either.

I actually would like to see what Beux is suggesting. I thought about it too once, when they introduced hemote, that it'd be neat to do little things that not everybody would notice but that the person you targeted certainly did. Sometimes it's not easy to make someone codedly watch you. They might not be accustomed to the command, they might be busy or they might not take a damn hint.
b]YB <3[/b]

I think it would be great if you do things like Beux suggests.

Previous discussion of a this kind of idea:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18431
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Oh, I see.. I also thought that hemote was only for the target to see and those 'watch' ing them.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I might idea this one up. I think it would be seriously cool to see. :(

I also think that a targeted hemote thingy where you could have the other person see it would be nifty. Still would have a chance for other people around to see it too, of course.

Maybe Rishenko would be willing to share some RP techniques for getting another character to watch so that hemotes can be traded? :)

And it is interesting when characters hemote. Especially when they use it to reveal important information that they might not otherwise. I love sekret infoz :)  I need to remember to hemote more often myself.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

You could use 'contact/psi' to say 'WATCH ME'
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"You could use 'contact/psi' to say 'WATCH ME'

Aww, but that seems so blunt and non-intrigue-y.

You could also start watching them.  There are several ways to find out if someone is watching you, and if they notice, chances are they'll reciprocate.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Maybe Rishenko would be willing to share some RP techniques for getting another character to watch so that hemotes can be traded? :)

I think it's more a frame of mind on the target's part than anything else.  If I am holding a conversation with somebody for a length of time, I'll probably watch them.  If I'm sitting at a table with one other person, I'll watch them.  If my char thinks you're a thief, he'll probably watch you.

If a character is doing little interesting things while talking with me, I'll watch them.

Seriously, what harm and how much time can it take to "watch person"?

But yeah, if your target isn't willing to type two words into their prompt at a point of interest, I can see needing the hsemote (I'll call it the hidden seduction emote).

Thats like...being sat in a bar with my boyfriend and a few friends....and getting out my phone, writing a text "QUICK NOW, MAKE SURE YOUR PAYING ATTENTION, I'M GOING TO TOUCH YOUR LEG.", sending it to him....then touching his leg.

What about if you want to do something...that the character will IC'ly notice...but that you don't want to prewarn them about. Like it could be a stranger, someone who's annoying you who you know well but don't get on with...you might want to stamp on their foot under the table.

And as a fair new player (yes, I've progressed from complete and utter newb), I can safely say...I have only ever used watch once. Mostly for fear of being spotted.  :oops:

Quote from: "Beux"

Thats like...being sat in a bar with my boyfriend and a few friends....and getting out my phone, writing a text "QUICK NOW, MAKE SURE YOUR PAYING ATTENTION, I'M GOING TO TOUCH YOUR LEG.", sending it to him....then touching his leg.

What about if you want to do something...that the character will IC'ly notice...but that you don't want to prewarn them about. Like it could be a stranger, someone who's annoying you who you know well but don't get on with...you might want to stamp on their foot under the table.

And as a fair new player (yes, I've progressed from complete and utter newb), I can safely say...I have only ever used watch once. Mostly for fear of being spotted.  :oops:

What do you mean??? Getting caught doing somthing unwanted is a -great- way to start a fight. And it's not illegal in either city-state. Go ahead, try it.

Don't be afraid to be spotted if whatever you're doing is IC for your character. Trust me...big screwups can lead to interesting RP. And minor screwups give your character a "reality" that you don't get when they do everything perfectly.

So watch people if it makes sense for what you're doing, and expect that they will notice you doing it. It will be OK. Even if they react negatively to you watching them, it will be OK, because it will be fun RP.

Same goes for hemotes. Don't use them just for fluff, or to reveal positive things about your character. Use them for exasperated eyerolls or silent huffs of frustration or lewd glances or to blink in response at receipt of sekret infoz. It's much more fun to have secrets, after all, when someone knows that you have them. (Even if they don't know what the secrets are.)

I like to use hemote when doing things such as listen and peek, or if my character is hiding something. It's codedly very easy to avoid getting in trouble for hiding a tattoo behind a necklace, and you'll never get caught eavesdropping if you don't give people a chance to.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Same goes for hemotes. Don't use them just for fluff, or to reveal positive things about your character. Use them for exasperated eyerolls or silent huffs of frustration or lewd glances or to blink in response at receipt of sekret infoz. It's much more fun to have secrets, after all, when someone knows that you have them. (Even if they don't know what the secrets are.)

Use hemotes for anything small, subtle and relatively quiet.  Before emoting, ask yourself how visible the action would be.  A quick glance here, a furrowing of the brow there, brushing dust from your gloves, a seductive draw of a fingertip through the dust of a bartop.

Hemotes are damned sexy, insanely provocative and beyond useful for setting the atmosphere.

Yeh...Thanks for all the advice. I do use hemotes...but you're right, I should probably get over my fear of being caught...just taking...uhh..halfling steps towards pushing myself into more and more challenging RP situations.

But still. hsstpcemote please.
(hiddensupersexytargettedphysicalcontactemote)