Throwing stars

Started by daedroug, July 26, 2006, 01:38:27 PM

here is another idea in the submissions forum that never really got any response i once again decided to give it a repost
original thread: http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18980

Quote from: "daedroug"You know what would be wicked sweet for this is if you added another skill on for these types of needles/stars and give it to assassins to branch once they become good enough at throw, kinda like how the warrior branches better versions of their weapons skills once they master the base version.
e.g.
instead of a warrior branching Super-Weapon after he masters Weapon
it would be an assassin branching Stars after he masters Throwing

[edited to omit actual branch]
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

First of all, I don't think throwing stars would need its own skill.

Second, please do not post on the GDB about branched skills that aren't evident in the guild's helpfile. There are rules against it, and some people want to find out for themselves.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"First of all, I don't think throwing stars would need its own skill.

Second, please do not post on the GDB about branched skills that aren't evident in the guild's helpfile. There are rules against it, and some people want to find out for themselves.

Those branches are not accurate, and I think (hope) are listed as an abstraction... Agreed not it's own skill, but the weapons could easily be in the game in some form. Though a chatkha(sp) is kind of the Zalanthan solution to throwing stars. Blowdarts are in the game, so there's your needles. It makes sense to me that Zalanthan throwers tend towards the bigger/heavier size, due the nearly incessent winds.
Amor Fati

ok first of all i'm sorry if i ruined any ones fun in wanting that surprise, therefore i edited my first post to omit it.

second of all i'm not saying that it should need a seperate skill but more a sub-skill, kind of like if you got your hands on a Super-Weapon class weapon, it's still classified as a Weapon class weapon it's just once you branch the skill you can utilize the sub-class. It would be the same for Stars, you could still use stars with the throwing skill but it wouldn't be until you branched Stars skill that you unlocked it's full potential.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Personally, I don't mind throwing stars in Zalanthas. Okay, that's not fully true, but I don't have any real opposition to them, given that lack of metal doesn't stop us from having anything else from the real world.

I wouldn't like throwing stars to be buffer than knives, etc, however. Personally, if throw were to branch to a nastier version of throw, I'd prefer it to be javelins. As Fnord said, heavier and harder is necessary when fighting just about anything other than humanoids on our pleasant little desert world. In my opinion, though, no branch is really necessary.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Chats are a Dark Sun hangover.  They were in Dark Sun one of the main mantis weapons, made of sharp edge crystal, and something like 2d3 or 2d4.  So more damage than a dagger.

In Arm, you'll find different ones in different places.  Kinda a cool weapon.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"In my opinion, though, no branch is really necessary.

Nuf Sed.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

*scratches head* How -- about roughly designing something like that, and sending it in through Salarr asking for it as a custom.  Provided you give the description and everything -- and it goes through the laboriously long process, you might actually get them in game (no reason they shouldn't)  If they become more popular Salarr or the merchant in question might make them more available to the public.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "FightClub"*scratches head* How -- about roughly designing something like that, and sending it in through Salarr asking for it as a custom.  Provided you give the description and everything -- and it goes through the laboriously long process, you might actually get them in game (no reason they shouldn't)  If they become more popular Salarr or the merchant in question might make them more available to the public.

I think they actually stopped that a while back, because the library was being filled with items that would only be used once and by only one PC.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

If Salarr has a master knife-maker and you offer Salarr a healthy price for the design, they may have the mastercrafter use his right for a masterwork item for such a thing. Your crude design wouldn't work. Even though it looks simple, only the mastercrafter would manage to plan details of such a new design ICly, and only a mastercrafter will be allowed to add a new item to the library once a month OOCly.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]