Characters you don't see often...

Started by Marauder Moe, July 24, 2006, 03:06:59 PM

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Why bother with picking pockets if you can just pick 'em up by the ankle and shake 'em until the sids fall out?
Because there isn't a coded way to do that?

You really don't see many mul PCs.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

That's because they cost 7 karma.
b]YB <3[/b]

Female templars in Allanak. (Only ever seen one)
Non-human bards in general (never seen one)

The rest has already been mentioned.

As for something that should be quite a bit more rare than what I've seen: Mutants in Allanak. I remember seeing like... 5.  :shock:

Quote from: "Akaramu"Female templars in Allanak. (Only ever seen one)
Non-human bards in general (never seen one)

Really? I've seen plenty.

I dunno, Akaramu, I'll admit that female templars are rare (only seen 2), but I've seen at least 5 non-human bards.  Also, mutants in Allanak?  Why not?  Seeing 5 mutants total in Allanak is still a lot less than you've seen in Tuluk.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/mutant.html

Mutants are supposed to seem to be more common along the shore of the silt sea, and Allanak is certainly much closer to the sea than Tuluk.  My general impression was that. prior to the importation of the Thryzn, mutants were more common in Allanak than Tuluk.  PCs are never Thryzn, so there is no reason for mutant PCs to be more common in the north than in the south.  Perhaps slightly more accepted, but not more common.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ah. I was absolutely sure that mutants generally get 'relieved from their misery' in Allanak while being accepted in Tuluk. One never stops to learn.

I must have been playing in the wrong place when all those non-human bards were around.  :P

Quote from: "Synthesis"Actually, a half-giant pickpocket -would- get the crap beaten out of him by just about anything that decided to attack him, for a long, long time, because half-giant agility imposes an enormous penalty on their defensive capabilities.

The ongoing analysis of which guild/subguild/race/statistics are most likely to "win" isn't really appropriate for these forums.  If it was, we'd have a "How to Win" forum.  The attitude that victory in combat, or numerical superiority in any other measure equates to a superior play experience in the game seems wildly misguided to me.  If your choices in character creation, or in playing your character once you're in-game are motivated solely by these elements, then you definitely aren't "getting it."  Our game is a roleplaying game, and our goal as the staff is to facilitate roleplay.  If we wanted a strategy game or a hack'n'slash RP game, we'd certainly have conceived of a better interface than the one we have.

-- X

For the record, I've actually played a city elf warrior before.  It's not as bad of a choice as you might think.

Things you never see:

Exotic slaves.  I'd love to see a halfling jester serving Fale in Allanak.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Altruists....

em dive for cover, avoiding a gigantic ball of flame.

Quote from: "Inky (unlogged)"Altruists....

em dive for cover, avoiding a gigantic ball of flame.

Heh. I actually played an Altruist, once.. people wanted to kill her simply because she was so nice. :(

I think a city elf warrior is a potentially viable role, but would probably need to be in a clan to reach that potential. A city elf tribe would be ideal for support of this nature, with the warrior providing tribal muscle. There are other shady organisations where the elf might likewise be welcome. However, most uses for warriors seem to fall into the hunter/guard category, and city elves are neither equipped for desert missions nor welcome in most clans that hire guards. Elf merchants are much more viable IMO with or without a clan - plenty of room to scam people while negotiating with them.

I think that a half-giant pickpocket is a "gimmick" role, but then I tend to view half-giants as a bit gimmicky in most cases anyway. Being a half-giant severely limits your social interactions, forcing you to retreat from the intrigue and politics of the game and become mostly a spectator and occasional tool. This makes the half-giant racial role already frustrating to play. Fortunately, half-giants being dangerous combat machines, clans are happy to add them to their roster, giving them at least a ringside seat view of the politics and intrigue if the clan actually has any. A half-giant that isn't much good at smashing things being pushed into a smashing things role is even more limited, however, being more likely to be left behind on account of being useless. I suspect most players stuck with a half-giant pickpocket will be harbouring fond thoughts of storage within the first fifty to a hundred hours of gameplay. It's fun to play a character who's starving and thirsty and racking his wits to find ways to keep himself alive. IMO it's much less fun to play a character whose prospects are always going to be dim, and doesn't even have the intellect to work up a semi-sophisticated psychological response to this.

(Of course, even gimmick characters can be rescued by circumstances. I can think off the top of my head of a half-giant pickpocket character who could be relatively fun to play over a period of time, given the right sort of PC companion. But an easily led half-giant pickpocket is much more likely to end up miserable in a clan that doesn't really want him.)

I'd like to see more city elf tribals, personally. However, I have my own plans to increase the chances of that...
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

One of the most badass, terrifying, and well-done elves I've RPd with was a city elf warrior.

Quote from: "Halaster"Dwarven pick-pockets
Half-giant pickpockets
City elf warriors

Playing a Half-giant pick pocket is a character concept I already have rolled up and waiting for the right time to play it! I think its gonna be alot of fun too, heh.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Quote from: "Hymwen"That's because they cost 7 karma.

Maybe its because they are can be nothing but slaves or run away slaves. :P

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I've met more sorcerers than muls! (So I agree with Yokunama)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"I've met more sorcerers than muls! (So I agree with Yokunama)

Sorcerors that you know about.  :shock:

dun dun DUUUUUNNNNNNNN!

Hmm, a mul sorceror.  There's a novel idea.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Maybe you just didn't knw they were muls....
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"Maybe you just didn't knw they were muls....
Heheheh.  Riiiiiiight.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "LauraMars"

Here are some of the things I HAVE seen, and would like to see more of:

Responsible magickers
A snarly schoolteacher
A bumbling, incompentant merchant
A clownish, clumsy (but secretly badass) assassin
Characters with personality

People with personality get killed quickly in Zalanthas. That is the way of things here :)

Quote from: "Vynestra"People with personality get killed quickly in Zalanthas. That is the way of things here :)

Beg to differ.