Containers, Volume, Maxes

Started by rishenko, July 21, 2006, 10:23:32 AM

Right now it seems that containers are limited solely by the amount of weight they can hold.  Therefore, you can stuff a helluva lot of a light weight  item inside a container, but only one or two heavier objects.  This leads to containers being a sort of magical black hole that can hold an infinite number of objects, providing they don't break the weight cap.  Obviously, this is unrealistic, with weird instances of placing massive rocks within pouched belts, a small bowl holding an insane amount of fruit or slices of bread, so on and so forth.

My suggestion is that each object be given a volume units field.  Each container be given a max number of volume units and a max volume unit size for individual objects.  Between weight and volume, we can then accurately reflect the size, amount and types of things various containers can hold.

Using volume units, pouched belt would allow for a maximum weight of 22 stones, but may only allow for objects that are smaller than, say, five total volume units.

Thoughts, opinions, am I absolutely insane?

Sounds like a wonderful idea.  Actually one we've thought of many times.  Then we look at the thousands of objects in the game and go...ugh.

Trying to set even a volume on every object on the game is a substantial piece of work.  

Now, this is not saying this will never happen.  There are several of the coders that would like to see this happen.  It's likely going to be a matter of someone willing to step up and do it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This is wicked keen.  Although, in the absence of objects with absurdly high density (e.g., metals), it seems that an objects weight often accurately reflects its size.  But I'm with you on the single item deal.  Seems with the right motivation, one could fit a chair into a backpack.

You should be able to balance a kank on two legs of the same chair, and place a juggling bard on its back.  But that's neither here nor there.

I think, though, for simplicity, you could give every item a single value for size, and this number would serve for containers as their usable size.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

Quote from: "Morgenes"Sounds like a wonderful idea.  Actually one we've thought of many times.  Then we look at the thousands of objects in the game and go...ugh.

Trying to set even a volume on every object on the game is a substantial piece of work.  

Now, this is not saying this will never happen.  There are several of the coders that would like to see this happen.  It's likely going to be a matter of someone willing to step up and do it.

First, write a script that sets a volume based on the amount of stones it can hold as well as by how many stones it weighs.  Then it would be much easier to go through and individually tweak each problematic one.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

Neat.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I for one say there is NOTHING wrong with having 62000 loafs of bread in your backpack! People need lots and lots and lots of storage to live out of their backpack.  So let it be Rish, I know about you carrying around that belt pouch that had 243 packs of mul mix.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.