'bleeding heavily'

Started by jstorrie, July 21, 2006, 09:55:00 AM

Could the wounded PC echoes be changed to more general 'in moderate condition,' 'looking unwell', etc. descriptors?

I don't think you can.  If you're wounded that bad.. well, you are.  :wink:
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

Quote from: "jstorrie"Could the wounded PC echoes be changed to more general 'in moderate condition,' 'looking unwell', etc. descriptors?

Please, please, with ginka sauce on top?

Flaran:  Sometimes you're not bleeding from an IC standpoint.  The code contradicts reality in those cases.

Ah, true, like when you get bashed over the head by a Half-Giant's fist (personal experience) and you might have that small stream of blood from the ears but nothing major.  :lol:

There isn't a way, but it would be useful in those cases.  I have been stuck OOCing in those cases, though there are very few that that seems to happen to me.

There've been calls for a more generic HP-loss ldesc modifier before.  I'm definitely in support of such a change.

please...please.. PLEASE PLEASE!

I could kiss whoever decides to.  All it would take is using the assess -v comments (relatively fit, does not look well, poor condition, terrible condition, near death, etc) and put them into the room ldesc and character description.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEE.

We aren't always bleeding!  POISON! Four out of five deaths that occur in the Barrel are due to POIISSSOON!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"We aren't always bleeding!  POISON! Four out of five deaths that occur in the Barrel are due to POIISSSOON!

If not more.  :twisted:

Change ldesc would do this.

Quote from: "flaran"I don't think you can.  If you're wounded that bad.. well, you are.  :wink:

Sometimes you can be ill or poisoned

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "ashyom"Change ldesc would do this.

Yea, it does, but when we first notice the 'bleeding heavily' ldesc, the first thing comes to our mind "Amos is in a bloody mess". It'd make things a lot easier if we didn't have to remember to use change ldesc each and every time we suffered HP loss. I personally think would be much better if players saw the same health status you would see when you use "assess -v <player>". (Amos is standing here, in moderate condition.)

>drop pants

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"There've been calls for a more generic HP-loss ldesc modifier before.  I'm definitely in support of such a change.

I really hope this is one the list of things the Immortals are working on.

>drop pants

Quote from: "Yokunama"

Yea, it does, but when we first notice the 'bleeding heavily' ldesc, the first thing comes to our mind "Amos is in a bloody mess". It'd make things a lot easier if we didn't have to remember to use change ldesc each and every time we suffered HP loss. I personally think would be much better if players saw the same health status you would see when you use "assess -v <player>". (Amos is standing here, in moderate condition.)

Wouldn't it be better to have people use change ldesc if they were bleeding, rather than the other way around?

I think I've seen pc's bleeding heavily when dying of thirst, also...

Change ldesc also resets itself any time you change position, which makes it a real pain.  Setting 'change ldesc' while you're walking isn't too feasible either.

Yes, I agree it's a good stopgap measure, but it would be much nicer to have generic 'condition' messages.  The 'bleeding' messages are a callback to old Diku where nobody really roleplayed out or cared about wounds other than how low in HP they were getting.

And you can't use change ldesc while you're sitting on many couches, tables, or chairs.

The only time that you can not use change ldesc as a mundane character is when you are riding a mount. It works in all other cases.

I also support the use of generic descriptors instead of the bleeding thing.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "LauraMars"And you can't use change ldesc while you're sitting on many couches, tables, or chairs.

Are you absolutely sure about this?  I have a different experience.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

You can change your ldesc, it just won't show up to the room.  Perhaps with some furniture it works, but for the majority I've found it does not.

Quote from: "LauraMars"I could kiss whoever decides to.
"whomever" ;)  Just thought I'd mention that, for those that don't know but would like to.

And I'd bug that if I was you, Laura.  From my understanding, you should be able to see ldescs of people seated on furniture...and I was under the impression that you could.  Unfortunately, my character is rarely around other characters played by people I know.  

Derail: I honestly do try to avoid knowing 'who plays whom' sort of stuff, and try to keep my character's identity secret too.  I think only one person knows whom I play, and that's only because I recruited the person to play my character's father. (Though, it would have been funny if I hadn't, "Wanna play my dad?  Great!  Oh, you want to know my character name so that your's can find mine?  Uh, I think that's IC information, man.")
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think.. that a means of seeing at a glance what is wrong with someone should be saved for high 'first aid skill' types. Let me break it down..

To Amos Average:

1. The foo person is here, bleeding from wounds.
-> Got beat up by a gimpka rat

2. The foo man is here, looking pale and exhausted.
-> Might be ill, might be poisoned, might be hungover.

3. The foo man is here, favouring a <random part of the body>.
-> He fell off his mekillot and fractured his coccyx.

To a more skilled medic, these things might narrow down.. I am not gonna go into details but I am sure the idea makes some sense.

Although, taking the wound code and re-working it may be a she-'tok of a job. I will leave assessment of that to the experts.. (namely not me)

Tuannon's suggestion would be a great way to do it, but even a message that was more generic (not bleeding) would be a good change.

I hope this does change at some point.  In certain situations, it can be pretty jarring or lead to awkward misinterpretations.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Tuannon's idea I like.  Even something as simple as "A snake on a plane is standing here, looking bruised/wounded/heavily wounded" might work.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I really wish more people would consider shadows of isildur combat engine. It's awesome.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Having actually worked with and looked into the code, I'll agree with Running Mountian in a manner. There are aspects that are awesome. The code itself is not awesome.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

In pre-post hindsight, I think this post rambles a little.. be warned.

Addressing the response about the requirement for combat damage.. even if there are some blatant visual clues start with. Such as:

100% health Excellent Condition

80% health A little battle worn.

60% health Is looking bloodied.

40% health Needs a healer.

20% health Needs a mortician.

0% health On the brink of death.

The above is fine although I admit some better conditional reports would be better. If a damage type could be concatenated on the condition report that would be even better.

The foo man is a little battered ++ with a few nasty gashes.

The foo man is in poor shape ++ with many contusions and a badly shattered <body part>.

Even if it is just a most predominant damage type thing.. eg blunt, cutting or piercing.

I have seen the following elsewhere, but I am not interested in how great is MUD X is or how bad MUD Y may be.

The body of the foo man lies crumpled here..

>exam body

The corpse appears to have been slashed with a cutting weapon of some kind.

Summing up.. I hope..

I don't think there should be necessarily code for ever iota of this direction of thought, basically so long as you can tell the difference between someone who has been beaten to near death, starving to death or poisoned (to name a few examples) that would be for the best.

While intricate damage code is all well and good, you do not want to not allow players to interpret the damage their own PCs have taken if it will generate good RP, surely.

Added later..

After a run in with a giant, sabre toothed gimpka sloth today.. scars that fade over time.. any thoughts on that?

Okay.. when you first put the new locdesc on.. you have a massive, red, ugly, weeping scar

A month later.. a massive, red scar

A month after that.. a massive, pinkish scar

Then.. a massive, silvery scar..

I am also interested in knowing out if you can get an inventory of your scars and tattoos if you are naked or in the locdesc room.  If it doesn't already exist, maybe a time delay while you check yourself out and a really odd room echo to other folks? (Assuming it is done IC).