Allanak RPT's

Started by Beux, July 20, 2006, 11:28:05 AM

I keep seeing Red Desert RPT announcements, and Tuluk. Very unfair. :)

We should get them in 'Nak too.

Tuluk has poetry contests.

Allanak has whipping and blood-bath contests.

Both ends in torture for whoever attends them ;)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

If you want RPTs in your area, organize them. It's as simple as that.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Ahh. I thought they were imm-led. Forgive me, I've only been here a few weeks. I don't think I know if enough about the game to organise RPT's just yet.

You've only got a month less than me ;)

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"If you want RPTs in your area, organize them. It's as simple as that.

Don't be mean, Gimfalisette.
Sometimes, you have to be in the right position to organize any RPT that concerns the entire playerbase in cities.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"Sometimes, you have to be in the right position to organize any RPT that concerns the entire playerbase in cities.

I kinda agree. It would be much easier for a Templar or Noble to organise an RPT in Allanak than it would for an elven pickpocketer. Not all of us play roles that allow us to command situations or even entice people.

As I see it, an RPT is as simple as "be here at specified time and place for a specific activity if you want to."

Why can't an elven pickpocket organize a darts contest? Or a drinking contest? Through a partner who's more reputable, if necessary. In fact, that would be a perfect time to practice one's craft, would it not?

"Leaders," whether they are OOC (imms) or IC (templars and nobles), can't possibly provide all the amusement for a given area of play. The game is much more fun when we do a lot of it ourselves.

Plus, a templar or noble isn't likely to organize the kind of RPT that would really appeal to an elven pickpocket, I'd think.

Well, perhaps not. But I was just using an elven pickpocket as an example. However a public torture would be just an interesting for an elven pickpocket as it would for a human acrobat, or any other commoner.

What I'm saying, is not everyone has the capabilities, contacts or means to organise RPT's, how about the shy, recluse human house servant who wouldn't mind spending a day off at a darts contest?

Basically, I'm not attacking anyone or blaming, I'm just saying there are plenty of us who might like to attend RPT's who can't organise them, and wouldn't it be nice if the people who did have the means would think about organising one or two.

Thats all.

Not every character ICly has the means / talents / contacts / motivation to organize an event.

However, every player OOCly is fully capable of doing this.

If you have the desire OOCly to see events happening, then find a way ICly to make it happen. The player of the meek house servant could OOCly email his/her clan imms and say, "Hey I'd like to do an RPT of this kind of event, can my character somehow be burdened with making this happen?"

Or perhaps the meek house servant approaches a character in-game that is known to set up events and says, "I've heard there used to be darts contests around here...I'd love to play in a darts contest." And see where the suggestion goes.

Or again, maybe the incapable character somehow partners up with a more capable character to get the job done.

If you really want to see it OOCly, you can do it. That's my whole point. Just because ICly your character wouldn't or couldn't...doesn't mean you can't still be an OOC driver of the process.

Plus, honestly, there are many many many characters who are ICly in position to put on plenty of RPTs--and they don't, as you've seen. So don't just wait around for it to happen, make it happen if you want it.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"As I see it, an RPT is as simple as "be here at specified time and place for a specific activity if you want to."

Theres a lot more to it than that.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette""Leaders," whether they are OOC (imms) or IC (templars and nobles), can't possibly provide all the amusement for a given area of play. The game is much more fun when we do a lot of it ourselves.

True.
Mind you, those "Leaders", wether they are OOC (imms) or IC (templars and nobles), provide some of the biggest plots. The war is one of them and you see how much of the playerbase has consumed. Not to mention, when someone reads the rumor boards and finds Lady Noclotheson is having a party, everyone will try to find a way there, instead of joining lightfeet the elven pickpocket's party. Also, there are limits on what events you can and can't create.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Mind you, those "Leaders", wether they are OOC (imms) or IC (templars and nobles), provide some of the biggest plots. The war is one of them and you see how much of the playerbase has consumed. Not to mention, when someone reads the rumor boards and finds Lady Noclotheson is having a party, everyone will try to find a way there, instead of joining lightfeet the elven pickpocket's party. Also, there are limits on what events you can and can't create.

First off, the average player-started RPT probably isn't going to be a big plot.  They are fun evenings, mornings, or the beginning of a plot between various characters.  I personally would like to see more small events on a regular basis.  In my mind, coming together for an event is different, socially, than just tavern sitting.

Secondly, the depleted playerbase is an even better reason for player-organized RPTs.  The few people around are scattered and an RPT helps them all come to one place at one time.

Lastly, competition between RPTs is good.  It helps create more homogenous gatherings (character-wise) as players choose the event that best suits their characters, instead of hopping onto the first gathering that pops up.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Putting on an RPT can be a lot more work for the organisers than some people realise. Plus, should there be changes of plans or things that go wrong, the organisers are often blamed OOCly for a "bad RPT", or for the event being "late" - even in situations where they had no control over what happened.

There have been a lot of RPTs I've attended that were simply a blast, but there have been even more times I've had lots of fun that weren't because of preplanned or prearranged events. You don't need to go to all the trouble of posting on the GDB and on rumor boards to set up a party or throw a darts game - just do it at random some night and pull in whatever PCs your character can find.

On the less general topic of RPTs in Allanak... I can think of at least a few arena events and bard-related things that have happened in the last few months. Sometimes they're announced beforehand, sometimes not. Someone posted in the other thread about Allanak that there should be arena events every RL day... and I think that's an unfair thing to expect of the PC templars/staff. It would be great if it could happen, but given that only a few people can put on an arena event, and they're often very busy PCs, it's probably too much to ask.