Archery improvement

Started by amish overlord, July 19, 2006, 05:24:17 PM

I was thinking of a possible arhcery improvement, prehaps instead of a single target one could just fire in a direction. If a group or large amount of people could hit a random person instead, seems more feasible in a war than an aimed shot, or an aimed shot going off and hitting someone else instead..I do not think a system like this is in, but be intresting....some friendly fire could happen too!

Ex
look east
[Near}
a Big ugly mul
a tall elf
a hairy dwarf
a voluptuous woman

shoot mul east
You fire your arrow, it veres from target and hits the  voluptuous woman.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Also would depend upon how many people as well, the more people in the room the more likely to hit someone, would also include people in rooms behind them or before them.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Sounds alright. Higher archery skill would of course lower the chance of hitting the wrong target. Or you could perhaps not specify one at all and just 'shoot east' if there's a big crowd.

In warfare the archers shoot first.

In Armageddonmud they wait until everyone starts fighting.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've always wanted to see:

Shoot east

<arrow hits random target available in that room>
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

It would need a higher chance to hit something than an aimed shot to be worth using, but it's a good idea.
b]YB <3[/b]

It would depend on the archer and the bow. The archery code is definitely a bit outdated.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I'd rather have it influenced by the number of targets.

1 target available = 75% chance to miss, 25% chance to hit.
2 targets = 50-50
4 targets = 25-75

Just throwing numbers out there to explain the idea.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"I'd rather have it influenced by the number of targets.

1 target available = 75% chance to miss, 25% chance to hit.
2 targets = 50-50
4 targets = 25-75

Just throwing numbers out there to explain the idea.

Only prob I have with that is there ARE archers out there with the accuracy and precision to be sharp-shooters with a crossbow.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Well then they'd be aiming if they were using sharpshooting.

Wouldn't they?  *boggle*

If you code an aim command then... yeah..

Wtf?

shoot <target> <direction> -is- aiming.

shoot <direction> would be just firing in that area and hoping to hit something.  More targets is a better chance of hitting something.

One would be great for volleys or a single archer against a group.  One is precision, one is not.

Right. But your post implies that shoot <target> <direction> would also take into account the percentages?

No...no way, man!  Heh.

Shoot <target> <direction> remains the same.

I'm just talking about a new option of just shoot <direction> for use of volleys and when you don't really care who's getting hit.

Taking room size into consideration ...

Perhaps miss chances target grouped people.  Obviously, if a group of five humans is standing on one side of a field and your arrow does a John F. Kennedy and nails the elf sitting on a rock forty feet away (and not in line of sight), then there's a problem.

If room size is definition, but character position in a room is a meandering concept that is not hard-coded, some consideration should be taken with any coded affects that are room-based.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

You mean like throwing knives into taverns at tables against a wall in a corner not in view of the doorway?

Like that kind of account?

Quote from: "Armaddict"You mean like throwing knives into taverns at tables against a wall in a corner not in view of the doorway?

Like that kind of account?

Somebody holla BANK SHOT!

Yeah, what's the chance of that happening, really?  But now we're approaching the point of too complicated (or did we cross that?)
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath