Bad idea
0 (0%)
Stick it on the wish list
7 (50%)
Don't care
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 19, 2003, 03:34:13 AM

Well, some people have said before they wish they could have a dig command, and after creeper just explained how the smaug (and possibly this code) works I thought I'd put it up to see if anyone's against it.

How it would work is you'd have a shovel, you'd type "use shovel" a whole would be made. put body in whole. cover whole. There ya go, good as new. Depending on the terrain type and how long the whole has been covered depends on if it's visible in the room description, and how well you have to be at hunt/scan to see it.

I think it'd be GREAT for dead bodies, discarding useless items you've found, but don't want others to find. It also wouldn't be possible in cities.

I can't really think of any option I've left out. I myself would like it. But it's nothing THAT important.

I actually kind of like this idea. Only, I think anything could conceivably be buried, widening the hole with successive dig commands. Like:

a body of a halfling hunter

>use shovel
Using a bone-bladed shovel you dig a small hole in the ground.

>put body hole
The body is too large to fit in the hole.

>use shovel
Using a bone-bladed shovel you widen the hole in the ground.

>l
A generic wilderness room.

Blah blah blah blah.
A body of a halfling hunter.
A moderately sized hole in the ground.
A moderately sized pile of dirt.

>put body hole
You put the body of a halfling hunter into a moderately sized hole in the ground.

>cover hole dirt
You shovel some dirt into a hole in the ground.

l
<insert generic room desc>
A small hole in the ground.
A small pile of dirt.

>cover hole dirt
You shovel some dirt into a hole in the ground.

Now, normally, if the hole is completely filled, nothing would remain in the room's description. But, anyone with the search skill would be able to see that there was a disturbance.

>search
You uncover the remains of the body of a halfling hunter buried in the ground.

Or with coins and stuff you could do:
You uncover a pile of coins buried in the ground.

Maybe something like that?
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."

Hmmm, good ideas but I don't like 'em (my first post was to keep the code as generic as possible. NOW comes my other theories).

I love your whole hole size theory. Love the dirt being left behind part as well. An addition is there would ALWAYS be left over dirt. Now you could disperse it. That would be get rid of it. Or you could pick it up and carry it in a bag. Or you could use a spell to teleport it (if such a spell exists). Depending on your method of getting rid of the sand, would depend on how hard it would be to see.

If you just walk in you wouldn't see it. If you disperse it without a tool it'd be easy to see. Disperse it with a tool harder to see. In a bag VERY difficult to see. Magick impossible to see.

You can also see where a hole has been dug after it's been dug (try it IRL). As time passes it's harder to see (to utilize it properly IMO it would have to be hard to see VERY quickly).

As for the search skill, good addition (I don't understand the skill properly).

I also think terrain type and hole size should be taken into account. Also when you disperse the extra dirt, I think that would cover the fact there's been a hole. So if you've picked up the dirt then you'd see "a hole was dug here" but if you disperse the dirt you'd see "some dirt has been dispersed here". So if you dispersed dirt without a whole you'd get "the dirt has been dispersed here".

Kid: I'm going treasure huntin' get me shoval ma'.

*10 hours later*

Mum: Did ya' ge' anytyhang sun?
Kid: naaah. Someun' had jess dispearsed a whole buncha dir'