Starting point related skills.

Started by Sephiroto, February 18, 2003, 04:51:29 PM

Would you like all people from certain starting points to always start with a skill relevant to their geography and what of language differentiatioin between Allanak and Tuluk?

Yes for the starting skills, yes for the language differentiation.
4 (23.5%)
Yes for the starting skills, no for the language differentiation.
5 (29.4%)
No for the starting skills, and no for the language differentiation.
6 (35.3%)
No for the starting skills, and yes for the language differentiation.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 18, 2003, 04:51:29 PM

I'd like to see one or two skills that come exclusive to starting point.

Of course d-elves can only start at the Blackwing Outpost, and they get their d-elf skills, but I'd like to see someone who starts in Tuluk, or instance, begin with lumberjacking.  Not woodworking, but just lumberjacking.

It would seem pretty common to me that of the hordes of people that chop lumber in the northlands, only forresters or merchants (I think) can process the wood into planks, poles, or blocks.

It would make since for a northern ranger/armorcrafter to be able to make process the planks that he works with, since that's what most northern weapon/armorcrafters use as their medium.

As for Luirs and Allanak starting skills....I'm unsure.  But I would like to see one, maybe two skills come with most races of most classes who start in each starting point.  This would add a good variation to the game I think.

On another note, I think, perhaps after the northern liberation, the Tulukians would begin straying away from traditional sirihish, and perhaps a subset of sirihish and not just an accented sirihish.  Or perhaps a different language all together.

So...tell me what you think.

I disagree with the language in particular.

America was once largely controlled by England.  We broke off, and 200+ years we're still speaking english, despite the varying accents.

Second, Tuluk has an extremely long history which was briefly interupted by the blink of an eye 40 year occupation which really wasn't all that disruptive on the populace, honestly.  That alone isn't going to make them change the language the populace has been using for hundred upon hundreds of years.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I see what you mean completely.  But then again, you cant say that people in England and America speak the same.  I'm just suggesting a gradual change in dialect.  Something that may add a bit of variety to the game.  Of course, then again, I'm not the one who would have to code it all  :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Heh, in a sense that's already in place with the limited in northern-accented sirihish..
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I think the unique starting skills idea has merit, but I'd rather see it be something which doesn't automatically result in everyone being able to line their pockets and max out merchant inventories.

Maybe something like only northerners getting shield use regardless of class and southerners getting only dual-wield regardless of class.  (Martial classes would override that, so a warrior would get whatever a warrior gets)

As it stands now every class gets both, I think.  I'd rather see the differences be small and not result in everyone being able to rake in 1000 sid a week in lumberjacking providing there are enough merchant inventory-clearing reboots.

Hmm.. I certainly wouldn't like something along the lines of they get shield use and they get dual wield, because that acctually hinders players, and takes away from the game then acctually adding any benefit. Anyone can pick up two knives or a sword and shield. Doesn't mean they can use them or get good at using them but they still can hold them. The only reason this should not be the fact is if the person doesn't have the strength in the first place.

Now, I don't see why there would be any other languages. And your idea for a sub-language is already in place. An accent, dielect from a different region. It takes a long time for a language to change into something that can't be understood by someone that speaks the original language. Sure, Americans and English people speak differently, but over what was that number 200+ years they said, yeah, well over that time it's still QUITE easy to speak with someone from that place. Even further of, can speak with Australians and they speak different from English people too. Heck, exchange student from Portugual in my spanish class, she was learning spanish like the rest of us, but there was still enough similarities she got the gist of what the teacher was saying in spanish before we were taught it. On Earth over thousands of years, and there are still MASSIVE similarities between languages. And in the short time since the retaking of the north by the north they are going to change languages? I'd think that'd be screwed up, if anything they are more likely to speak a less changed Sirihish then the south because that is one of the ways someone holds onto their heritage is through language.

Hmm... Hehehe... Yeah... Don't read this.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Hmm.. I certainly wouldn't like something along the lines of they get shield use and they get dual wield, because that acctually hinders players, and takes away from the game then acctually adding any benefit. Anyone can pick up two knives or a sword and shield. Doesn't mean they can use them or get good at using them but they still can hold them. The only reason this should not be the fact is if the person doesn't have the strength in the first place.

What I meant is that they could actually do so, without having any skill at it.

If the skills are required for someone to actually hold two weapons and swing both during a fight or to hold a shield, then yeah, I agree with you Creep.

I just assumed that it would work the same as <insert> weapons skill, since a merchant PC doesn't have to have those skills to actually try and swing a sword.

*mumbles about double posting*

:P@Sephiroto (look down)

Quote from: "CRW"As it stands now every class gets both, I think.
Really? Hrm. Well here is an IDEA (I haven't voted cause I want more opinions so this is PURELY an idea).

Each class gets a starting skill dependant on their starting location. So merchants in Tuluk might get sewing skill from the start whereas Merchants in Allanak might get stone crafting as a starting skill (both just examples).

Don't like the change of language idea. I don't like the dialect idea as being hard coded. LOVE it as being uncoded.

(glances above)

No wonder why John's got so many posts.

In regards to the initial post. I disagreeeee.

Just because im born in the forest doesnt mean im adept at the proper way to cut down trees.

Of course everyone can cut down a tree. But I dont think that the skill focuses on that. Its the proper and efficient cutting.

Its actually alot harder then you'd think. An untrained lumberjack might encounter those trees that the axe seems to not be able to cut through, but a trained lumberjack would know to cut at an anble to break the bark... all those kinda things.

while it might be expected that someone from Tuluk would know how to cut down a tree...  its more common sense then area knowledge.

Anyways, thats all.

(Still in 2 minds about it).

In response to Jenred's post.

An Australian is more likely to know how to swim then an Egyptian (just an example).

Or an American is more likely to know how to use a computer then someone from an African tribe that has nothing to do with the outside world.