Making mass combat more managable

Started by Anonymous kank with wings, July 13, 2006, 01:37:59 PM

Here are a few ideas for making mass combat more managable.

1) Give people an option of only seeing combat messages that apply to them. Not just switching off missed attempts, but reporting only the attacks on oneself. You would still see when others fell, just not all the blows landing on them.

2) Include in assess the list of opponents attacking that person (if not already done).

3) There has to be a way to deal with this entire unit vs. single character problem. It's really an organization tool, so that people don't have to literally scroll through hundreds of soldier NPCs when they look at a room. Why not define a way to group NPCs together into units, but still in combat terms manage them as single NPCs. They would show up in the room as a unit, they could be ordered as a unit, templars could add and remove individual NPCs, but they would really be for example twenty soldier NPC objects with the same group assigned to them. I'm sure the PC that Arm runs on can handle the load.

I think Halaster is working on these very issues.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

see similar thread in code discussion.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev