assassins and listen

Started by Long lived Assassin, July 11, 2006, 01:49:21 AM

QuoteThe tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
"im an assassin"

Bushy brows rising for a group hug, you say, in sirihish:
"But of course you are."

Of course, in Tuluk, is entirelly possible to tell people you're an Assassin, and actively look for work as 'an assassin'.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"
QuoteThe tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
"im an assassin"

Bushy brows rising for a group hug, you say, in sirihish:
"But of course you are."

Of course, in Tuluk, is entirelly possible to tell people you're an Assassin, and actively look for work as 'an assassin'.

stop stealing my lines.

*shakes his fist*
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think there have been a lot of good points tossed around. I have played an assassin (poorly). The skill set is difficult to train. Even harder outside of the 'rinth, in some instances. Training up stealth outside of the 'rinth without being labelled a potential criminal for life is tricky. I, personally, find this to be one of the greatest appeals of the guild, rather than a big downfall. It makes becoming good that much more special. There might be a hundred PC assassins, but such a small percentage of them are truly good that a good assassin is very special. And sexy.

LoD's comment about history and roleplaying relative to your character's skill set is important to all guilds, but especially assassins. If you're trying to play a badass at day 1, you're not only going to look like an ass, but you're going to sit there feeling like you've broken character despite your best intentions (one of my least favorite feelings). Personally, I would like to see something added to the quickstart to let people know that they are going to be weak as kittens at the get-go and should plan a character to become something greater in game.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

How to be a leet awesome assassin:

Step 1) Find a day job that in some way also allows you to slowly hone your killerizing skills.

Step 2) Wait about twenty days worth of playtime.

Step 3) Having got involved in more interesting things, forget all about wanting to just be a leet awesome assassin.

Step 4) Profit!

In all seriousness, it is not difficult to quickly train up an assassin without overt powergaming, but generally speaking your time is better used focusing on the actual goings-on of your PC's life. If he/she survives long enough, they'll get good at their skills anyway. The absolute greatest mistake nearly every new assassin player makes is trying to be a career killer right from the start. Keep in mind that:

Bynners and house guards and hunters will learn how to fight well as a part of their day-to-day lives.

Pickpockets, spies and those living in shady areas will learn how to sneak around as a part of their day-to-day lives.

Tavern sitters, aides and socialites will learn how to listen well and keep an eye on their surroundings as a part of their day-to-day lives.

Physicians, herbalists and gatherers will learn how to to brew poisons and their cures as a part of their day-to-day lives.

However: people who go around trying to shank NPCs will learn what a mantis head looks like. In fact, if you're looking to be an indiscriminate murderer the warrior guild may suit you much better.

Quote from: "Hymwen"First of all, talking about branched skills that aren't in the guild's helpfile is never a good idea.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't think skill trees should be discussed here.  It is sensitive info.   The OP may have a good point (I've felt similar frustration over branching another skill in another guild) but it's probably more effective to email the Imms.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

All I've got to say...is that if you think assassins are weak, you've been playing too many templars/magickers/psionicists lately.

As everyone said, they start slow.  Within 10 days of play time, you're an artist.  Within 20, you're an all around badass.

Not to mention...assassins are not limited to a combat-related role.  I had a 30 day assassin that had a hand in countless deaths, all of them for profit.  He got in a total of four or five fights throughout his career.

Assassins have a -very- versatile skill tree.  Just don't play them like a warrior, and you'll be fine.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger