A crap idea...

Started by Spoon, July 10, 2006, 06:00:32 AM

While this might not sound serious, I actually am. Kind of.

I've noticed there are a few dung items 'floating' around Zalanthas. So, I thought: "Hey wouldn't it be COOL if pack animals and mounts had a crap every once in a while and produced one of these items."

On the negative side, the entire gameworld might literally fill up with shit.

On the positive side, PCs would complain about the amount of shit, other PCs could be employed to clear up all the crap on caravan road, plus you could throw dung at people you don't like, musicians you don't like, sneaky types could plant crap on people to make them smell bad... and so much more. Possibly.

YES NOW IMPLEMENTATION NOW!
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

It should also be useful as campfire fuel.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well, it's not the worst idea ever, but I think it's a bit redundant. Also, there are places where lots mounts are kept in pens rather than being rented to an NPC... those places would fill up with shit faster than the Byn latrines on a peak night.
b]YB <3[/b]

As it should be. Zalanthas needs more shit and dirt.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Rather then cause scripts to need to be written up, I'd prefer it just be foragable.

Well, a lot of things replenish over time. Fruit spawns, other... things. The script would be easy, I assume.

Well you have an animal crap now and again and in areas where there are lots of animals simply have a check to see if a crap object (or two) is already loaded before loading another one.  This might simulate "usable" crap verses the crap that is there that got trampled back into the ground.

The crap from certain animals could then be perhaps crafted into poisons or drugs if someone had the proper skill and knowledge for it.

It is an interesting idea.

You might even have to do something like:

feed <creature> <food item>

To get the proper biological mechanisms working.  heh.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cegar"Well, a lot of things replenish over time. Fruit spawns, other... things. The script would be easy, I assume.
As moab hinted, if animals are going to shit, shouldn't they require food? If they require food, then how do wild mounts survive? If wild mounts can survive (because they don't require food), why can't domesticated ones in the same manner (sometimes it'll be because they've been domesticated too much, but not always)? And if mounts can codedly produce shit, why can't my human? If my human can produce shit, shouldn't I be forced to go to the toilet?

I just think a simpler solution then taking all of that into account, would be to have shit be foragable ;)

Oh, I would love a shit command.

shit bed.

You squat over a luscious, silk-covered bed.

You feel your muscles contract.

Quote from: "Cegar"Oh, I would love a shit command.
What about requiring you shit for every X amount of food you eat within time frame Y? And not allowing you to shit if you haven't eaten A amount of within time frame A? See how it's suddenly expanded from a simple script to a whole lot of other considerations?

Yeah, but that isn't necessary.

Totally unncessary. We're not playing BioMud. This is a fantasy game. Have you ever played a D&D game where your DM required you to take a dump every 12 hours of game time?

On the other hand, being able to forage dung from logical areas would be a neat idea.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I'd rather have it build up on streets etc. All those kank emotes down Caravan Road and what not... some should emote kanks shitting and come attached with presents.

Quote from: "Spoon"While this might not sound serious, I actually am. Kind of.

I've noticed there are a few dung items 'floating' around Zalanthas. So, I thought: "Hey wouldn't it be COOL if pack animals and mounts had a crap every once in a while and produced one of these items."

On the negative side, the entire gameworld might literally fill up with shit.

On the positive side, PCs would complain about the amount of shit, other PCs could be employed to clear up all the crap on caravan road, plus you could throw dung at people you don't like, musicians you don't like, sneaky types could plant crap on people to make them smell bad... and so much more. Possibly.

I actually coded this up a while back, with the help of Brixius, and even went so far as to create a system wherein dung beetles would occasionally come by and roll up the balls of crap, and take them away (to prevent the world from filling up with shit). Sanvean even coded up some dung merchants, so PCs could become dung scavengers with the use of shovels, and use it as a source of fuel for fires.

However, this project got shelved as we realized every single animal in the world would need to have the script attached to it, and as silly as it sounds: the sheer number of animals crapping on ginka might have actually eaten up processor power, and lagged up the system.

That said, there have been some amazing advancements in javascripting technology since then. When we coded that, we were at the "Hey, look, we can make things emote!" stage. Now we're at the "Hey, look, we can simulate LIFE!" stage. So...maybe we can dust off the project and see about bringing some new shit to this game.
Tlaloc
Legend

I'd say that I like this idea, but then, I like -every- idea that brings life to the game.

Every idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

And since they are Zalanthan dung beetles, they will be giant sized and attack you and try to take your shit if look like you have any.  Sewer spelunkers beware!   :P

If the animals were generating it, rather than it being generated automatically in places like latrines and stables, it would also be useful for hunters.  If you see some animal spoor that's a clue that this might be a good place to look for tracks, even if you haven't seen an actual animal yet.  Perhaps people with the right skills, like hunters and trackers, could even Assess the dung to tell more about what sort of beast produced it.

A defecate command for PCs would have to have some limits on it.  A timer before you could use it again, or perhaps a fullness check.  Without limits a person could spam-defecate and produce their own weight in dung in an hour.   :roll:

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

This thread is seriously silly, because it's serious, and also silly.

But if PC shitting gets implemented, I demand the following:

Shit-stained items
A "he/she smells like shit" sniff flag
The option of shitting on people, possibly with a hit/miss roll
Sun-baked shit-balls for use in slingshots
b]YB <3[/b]

This is one of the things I'd rather not be forced to roleplay out.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

But would you want the chance to?

Wait, are we talking about a "shit" command for PCs now?  :shock:
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Hell yes. Finally a chance to use that latrine.

Quote from: "Hymwen"Sun-baked shit-balls for use in slingshots

Homemade Cocoa Puffs?

Would your shit-balls have differing quality dependent upon what you ate before dropping them?

Also, could a person shit on a campfire and use that instead of wood?  Rangers would love that.  Invite a friend over, burn some meat.

>shit campfire
You unleash your fury on an unlit campfire.

>hold torch

>light campfire
You light an unlit campfire.
A methane-like aroma permeates the air.

>
After taking a quick sniff of the air before tossing a large of pale flesh on the flames, the tall, mottled-skinned man says to you, in sirishish, "Mmm, now that's how you smoke meat."

Dung does not smell when burned.

Not if you dry it first.  Fresh dung might.  Especially fresh carnivore dung (which is stinkier than herbivore dung).

AC