elves and politics

Started by bananahamock, February 17, 2003, 09:06:33 AM

do elves play a major role in the politics of zalanthas? or do they mostly get hired by the nobles? i was just wondering because theres such a mistrust of elves

Short answer: No noble house would openly hire an elf.

Longer answer: Even a criminal can effect politics if they are clever enough.

I don't think elves have -anything- to do with politics, unless those politics be killing some important to politics. While Elves may be the second most populous race on Zalanthas, they're still thieving bastards, the the ruling race (Human) won't have anything to do with them.

And as far as elves being hired by nobles... well, a noble probably won't hire an elf as a personal servant, or a guard. In fact, the noble will probably not hire an elf to be anywhere near him. An assassin perhaps...

I have to disagree Tony. I doubt this is IC as it was plastered all over the rumor boards a few months ago in Allanak.

There were undead creatures about, when a particular Templar dealt with them that Templar became popular. Then later on (this was also posted on the boards) that Templar's underlings seemed to be targetting elves, after a while because of the targetting of elves, that Templar became less popular.

A rather crude method for elves to affect politics, but a method nonetheless.

[EDIT]: I agree nobles won't publically hire elves.

Quote from: "Tony"I don't think elves have -anything- to do with politics, unless those politics be killing some important to politics. While Elves may be the second most populous race on Zalanthas, they're still thieving bastards, the the ruling race (Human) won't have anything to do with them.

I completely disagree an all accounts.  Humans have plenty to do with elves, as humans -do- frequent the Desert Elf Outpost as well as frequenting shops/tents and other merchant endeavours owned by elves in Allanak, Tuluk and the rest.

Elves can and do play a large part in politics.  Its harder for them to establish power in the eyes of their human counterparts, but 'sid and followers/employees/gang mates does equal power.

QuoteAnd as far as elves being hired by nobles... well, a noble probably won't hire an elf as a personal servant, or a guard. In fact, the noble will probably not hire an elf to be anywhere near him. An assassin perhaps...

Agree here.  Noble houses hiring elves for anything public would and should bring ridicule.

As to my saying they don't have anything to do with politics, I meant more or less the ruling powers in the city state. You're not going to see an elf sitting at the Senate with those Nobles. (Is it even the Senate? I can't remember.. maybe I'm thinking Star Wars)

Elves absolutely play a major role in politics - be it in the known world arena or in localized areas such as the citystates or the outposts.  

The nature of politics is that any person who exerts any influence is involved in politics.  Certainly the interaction between nobles houses is often outside the sphere of elven political influence but sometimes, it can be a major aspect.

Elven tribes can exert an inordinate amount of influence when they are camped near a human settlement.  

As for noble houses hiring elves - that'd be dependant on the noble, the House, and the situation.  Using elves to scout, as long as you pay them well enough that they won't lie (too much), isn't beyond the realm of possibility.  Some Houses hate elves others are impartial - this leaves for a significant amount of possibilities happening.  Naturally, if it is done overtly another House could use it against them (and they could lose face) but done secretly - I don't see a problem.

I know a certain city-state's templar(s) used to pay elves to spy for them.

They paid well, too. :twisted:
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

You can assume that every race plays some role in politics.  How hard the Gith are raiding the North road might have political implications in Allanak.  If you mean actually having a direct and public hand in politics, then no, elves have no official say.  The ruling powers of both Allanak and Tuluk consist purely of humans.  Human nobles and human templars control Allanaki politics, and elves can never under any circumstances hold the title of noble, templar, or even join the militia.  That said, in places like the 'rinth, elves play a major role in the local politics.

As far elves having a relationship with nobles, elves are relegated to unofficial roles.  So, an elf might be paid to spy on or assassinate someone, but you would never find an elf advisor to a noble.

I think elves as a group have a in influence, the way the commoner rabble as a whole has an influence.  They are out there, moving freely, and having opinions.  If the government, or certain factions of the government, do things to suddenly make life much worse for most of the local elves, then the elves will start protesting.  Not a protest as in marching on the Trader's Inn waving placards, but protest as in escalating activities people don't like.  More poisoned daggers flying through taverns, more things going boom, more defacement of public property, and the occasional militaman going missing.  They won't be making speeches in the senate, but they will annoy influential people and so have an indirect political influence.

Contrairily, making things much easier on the local elves and other commoners can also make political trouble.  Give 'em an inch and they'll want a league.  If people can meet their survival needs and still have plenty of time left over, then they will probably get into mischief.  It's a balancing act, too little tyranny can be as dangerous too much.  You could always create a propaganda campaign convincing your people that they are all closet artists so they will spend their free time doing harmless handicrafts, but tyranny is more fun.   :twisted:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

baaah. Who needs closet artists when we have this convenient thing called scape goats. Arm has an ENTIRE race of scape goats just there for the picking. MUHA!  :twisted:

*ahem* I actually thought of a few ways on how a Templar could very easily manipulate an elven tribe, but I also know how easily an elven tribe could manipulate the Templar.

If a Templar was on good terms with a tribe though, that would make for some VERY subtle political messages.

Elves seem to influence and dictate around the live the allanak from what I've experienced. Now being in the tavern of the gaj or traders is frowned upon, Usually you just won't even notice an elf about unless they are 'domesticated' and of the different proffesions, But it seems when someone of power especially people of power(nobles/templars) need something they will look for elves or influential humans-- Elves are more so behind the scene characters who do the dirty work and on the outside seem to take a lot of crap from the humans around them-- I don't know just some personal opinions from personal experience---- The elven community is great to play// I strongly suggest it to all players

Answering questions:

Yes, elves can majorly influence politics.

No, they aren't -usually- hired by nobles.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Elves rock, played right.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870