elves and sweatstaining items

Started by daedroug, July 06, 2006, 03:53:45 AM

Ok the idea behind an elf is that he can run just about all he wants, in fact through the code he does better running then anything else. I would think this would mean, among other things that he wouldn't end up sweating as much from running and yet items that an elf wears end up being sweat stained in no time because he's always running and i'm guessing that the code is now that make it alot more likely for that to happen. What I'm proposing is that the chance of items being sweat stained while an elf is running be removed, because frankly it's rediculous how often it happens the way that the code is now.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

In my experience, getting items sweat stained means you've been running so much that you're nearing the end of your stamina. Even elves need to take breaks. The fact that they're better runners is reflected in their stats already.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Sweat stained, bloody, and dusty items drive me nuts.  First thing I do when I get some extra cash is invest in some kind of armor brush and maybe even soap.

However I think this is an ooc concern, and it's a realistic enough consequence to running a lot, and not something that I, personally, feel needs changing for desert elves.  Though of course, if someone did decide to change it, I certainly wouldn't complain.

A quick, slightly derailing question: Is it only armor items that get the "sweat-stained" tag? Or do clothes get it too?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Hah, you need to see one of my characters who's been covered with dust, blood and sweat stains all over his armor, LM.

Answering your question: Some items get sweat-stained, some don't. I'd bug anything you think should have sweat-stains but doesn't.

I think everyone should be sweat-stained and smelly... we're feckin' commoners.

"Oh, he must be a noble!"

"Well how do you know that?"

"He hasn't got shit all over him..."
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "LauraMars"Sweat stained, bloody, and dusty items drive me nuts.  

Oh. My. God. You have no idea. All my gear is burned. Every single piece. And there's not a thing I can do about it for now. It's slowly driving me batshit insane, bit by bit, every time I look at my equipment list. Burned and blackened, blackened and burned.

*rocks in a corner*

I never 'clean self'. I'm too bad-ass....Also, ALL my eq was burned and smellied and and dusty and bloodied after a certain RPT, I never got rid of it though  8)

Quote from: "Jherlen"In my experience, getting items sweat stained means you've been running so much that you're nearing the end of your stamina. Even elves need to take breaks. The fact that they're better runners is reflected in their stats already.
This is true.  It is only after you're getting to the point where your character will noticeably be VERY fatigued will your items get sweaty.

Little tip: It isn't safe to exhaust yourself like that...it's hard to get away from danger when you can't run very far.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm getting annoyed about the sweat-stains too. I'm playing my first d-elf currently, and it wasn't long before every piece of equipment was drenched in sweat. It's not that I find it unrealistic to get sweat-stained from jogging through a desert, but it's really quite annoying.

And I live in an area that has no soap and no cleaning PC, and if there's one thing I truly hate, it's when my stuff gets permanent stains. I think sweat-stains should wear off after a bit, or at the very least not make your items permanently stained when you clean them. I hate, hate, hate stained items.
b]YB <3[/b]

Would a desert elf really care if they are covered from head to toe  in sweat-stained items, tho?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Go to your closet and take out one of your old t-shirts.  Chances are there are stains in the armpits.  Remember those old commercials about ring-around-the-collar, another kind of sweat/body soil stain.  Even after all that modern detergents and newfangled washing machines can do, our clothes still develop permanent sweat stains.  

In North America the "Indians" were often cleaner than the European missionaries sent to convert them, but most of North America has plenty of water.  For most tribes living in the wilderness of Zalanthas, water and other consumable liquids are incredibly precious.  They may scrub with sand or leave it hanging in the sunshine to air out, but washing is going to be quite rare, and probably only done for ceremonial occasions.  So it makes sense that those folks have dirty clothes.

Usually with an outdoorsy type I will try to clean off the blood and gore, on the principle that the smell of blood could attract dangerous animals.  Most of the time I'll also try to clean off "smelly" since that could also give me away in a dangerous situation, since I assume that the "smelly" tag means much smellier than usual.  (I'm not saying that the code takes these things into account, just that it would be a realistic concern).  Sweaty and dusty I don't worry about.  Sweaty shows that you work for a living, and aren't some delicate garden flower.

If I'm playing a merchant or other commoner that would reasonably make an effort to be presentable because she deals with a variety of customers, then I'll usually try to get rid of sweaty, and sometimes even dusty.  With a noble aide or high status merchant I try to stay free of all the tags, including an ongoing battle with "dusty".  I'll use soap or a professional cleaner, to avoid the "stained" flag.

If I'm playing a 'rinther I'll usually ignore most of the tags, including smelly.  I might even deliberately buy gear that is smelly, or do things to make some of my gear smelly.  Rinthers should be dirty, and being filthy and stinky makes you less attractive -- which can be a plus.  Depending on the character I might still try to get rid of bloody tags, because you don't want people to know where you have recently been injured.

Sometimes with a rough and ready commoner I will deliberately clean without use soap even if I can afford it in hopes of getting the stained flag, because having stained clothes is hard core.   :wink:

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I  grovel at AC's smelly, blood-stained feet.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Yeah! Superfly. I love these tags and I remember when they didn't exist and how it's cooler that they do.

The stains mean that you and the gear have gone through things together! Be it a bloody fight with a carru or latrine duty or a sudden sprint or just pushing yourself too hard that time you had to make it back before dark. Whatever. Those are the marks of memories, yo. The code gives our personal objects a history of sorts and makes everything more real, in my opinion.

I would think that d-elves would be the last people who would care about tags like dust and sweat on their clothes.

What a d-elf might care about would be exhausting themself to the point of sweating that badly, hence losing a bunch of water and not being able to escape from predators. Running yourself down below 50% stamina seems like something that should be avoided except in emergencies.
subdue thread
release thread pit

D-elves get sweaty when they're tired, just like everyone else. From my experience as well, you only get sweaty (I'm talking about IG, btw :) ) is to lower your stamina to a very low point.

And as for you sweat-hating people...WHY? Sweat, blood, burnedness and blackness make your character look dirty, grimy, sweaty, cool, badass and many more neat things! I think it really helps with da grittiness of the game.

That last part was supposed not supposed to be very serious. Do not take it that way. Merci.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Well, my annoyance with sweat-stained, dusty, and bloody stuff is rooted with  the obsessive compulsive habit I have to get rid ALL THE ORANGE FLAGS indicating new posts on the general discussion board, when I pop by for a visit.

I am not naysaying the gritty nature of the game.  It's just an ODD URGE I have to dust everybody in the Gaj...really...no fear!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."