Literacy

Started by amish overlord, July 06, 2006, 01:12:04 AM

Alright most people cannot read due to secretive nature and due to law.

Who can read and write.
Nobles, templars, some merchants, some slave scribes.

What about commoners in upper ranks in noble houses, militias of the city, templar's aides.

I can see this being a possibility, the head of servants or captain of guards being taught toread and write legaly. Of course with restriction, such people be reported to the authorities of this.

Now why would organizations do this? Frees up time for important people nobles and templars from administrative burden and report writing. Why constantly meet with captain, colonel whoever every day for everything when he can write a report to you and submit it. Of course how far down the ranks such a talent be taught not very far, maybe a few senior type servants to the head of servants and the lieutenants to the military leaders. These people would have proved themselves loyal to their organizations to gain such positions.

I udnerstand there could be abuse.

Any thoughts, comments or am I off my rocker?

Amish Overlord 8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Who says this already doesn't exist?  I'd expect that in any case though it would mean the PC was -extremely- trusted, beyond the normal ranges of your average PC.  And I would also expect that those commoners who were given the rights to read and write (this includes templarate slaves and merchant house members) would do all they could to keep it out of public knowledge.  The templarate may turn a blind eye to a senior Borsail servant knowing how to read and write but that same servant standing up in the middle of the Barrel and reciting a proclamation from a scroll could really begin to cause some trouble.

Ditto.

Doubt there would be many in the militia, but certainly some higher ranked slaves and servants (aides)

I think you're off your rocker.  I can't see any commoner being that trusted by those who can read and write.  It is something that is very jealously guarded, and very illegal.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It can happen and has happened, but it's very rare.  The sub-sub-subset of people who a) want to know how to read, and b) have access to reading material, and c) know someone who could teach them, and d) are able to convince that someone to go to the great risk of teaching them, and e) live long enough to complete their learning is very, very, very small.

-- X