Apartments. Which one is number which?

Started by Ghost, July 04, 2006, 04:20:57 AM

Would not it be cool if we know which apartment we are renting, before we are renting?  There are numbers, but we we might want to pick the one we know and we just don't know which number is the one we like.  So kind of "view #" would be cool with that, describing which apartment we are about to rent?
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think it is a great idea. Personally, I'd like to have it only display the room description, because it will help prevent people from purchasing a  room with ph@t loot stashed off in it.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Well, you see the room name. "A blue-tiled room," "A cramped chamber," in some cases "A well-furnished, four-room apartment." I think that contains most of the information we really need.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "MorganChaos"Well, you see the room name. "A blue-tiled room," "A cramped chamber," in some cases "A well-furnished, four-room apartment." I think that contains most of the information we really need.

But sometimes it just says something like "two room apartment" and it does not ring any bell because there are like 4 other two rooms there.

Still the direction where the entrance door is, would help great.

Quote from: "MorganChaos"Well, you see the room name. "A blue-tiled room," "A cramped chamber," in some cases "A well-furnished, four-room apartment." I think that contains most of the information we really need.

And sometimes several apartments are called the same.
b]YB <3[/b]

I totally suggested this a while back, and I still totally agree.

Some people were all, "Oh, there's no customer service in Zalanthas! You're lucky to get a room!"

The thing is, though, even the crappy tenement building is catering to rich folks who can afford an entire room to themselves. The other buildings are even nicer and some of the apartments you can rent are downright luxurious.

When Nenyuk was in the game, you could always get them to show you the apartment before you bought. They'd take you right up there and let you look around.

Nenyuk may not be open anymore, but the rule is that even if a clan is closed, nothing has changed ICly. Obviously being shown the apartment would be difficult to code, but a few lines about each one would be painfully simple.

list
The following apartments are for rent:
1) Not available.
2) Not available.
3) Not available.
4) A three-room apartment for one BILLION coins.
5) Not available.
6) Not available.

view #4
The greasy, smiling man grins and says to you, in sihirish:
        "Ah, yes. A fine choice, my friend! This apartment features a tiny foyer, a moderately sized kitchen/living area with a cistern and fireplace, and a small bedroom featuring a closet and shelf space."

rent #4

The greasy, smiling man glances at your slightly pointed ears and inhales slowly.

The greasy, smiling man says to you, in sihirish:
      "Yes, yes... fantastic. I'll just have to run a quick credit check..."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

That would be really great.. One of my character once wanted a private room, and I managed to rent the only room in the whole building with a window in it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteSome people were all, "Oh, there's no customer service in Zalanthas! You're lucky to get a room!"

The thing is, though, even the crappy tenement building is catering to rich folks who can afford an entire room to themselves. The other buildings are even nicer and some of the apartments you can rent are downright luxurious.

Yeah, exactly. Also, while there might not be much customer service in the sense of people going out of the way to help you for free, it would be in the best interest of the landlord/merchant/other service provider to help you with something that makes you more likely to put money in their pockets. I'm assuming that the coded apartment blocks aren't the only ones, in reality there would probably be several virtual ones on each street, and a potential customer asking "hey, my friend once owned a room with an oven, can you tell me if that room still exists?" is very unlikely to come back if the response they get is "no, fuck off". Just because there's only a few coded choices for renting, buying flour or repairing armor doesn't mean that the tradesman gets to treat the customer like shit. He might not let you taste the wine before you buy it like you can in these fancy modern days, but he'll want you to buy his wine and he'll want you to come back for more.
b]YB <3[/b]

I'm not sure about the 'view' idea...that would take some coding and I'm not a coder.  However, I can change the short description...so instead of 'a two-room apartment' it could say:

the first two-room apartment on the left
or
a living room and sleeping room at the end of the hall on the right

So if you see buildings where you'd like more info, email me with a brief description of where the place is as well as the NPC landlord, and submit to me a few sample descriptions if you know what the rooms look like already.

Keep descriptions under one line and they must have no commas.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Malken"That would be really great.. One of my character once wanted a private room, and I managed to rent the only room in the whole building with a window in it.

GRRRR. I know -exactly- what you mean, I was pissed when I did this also
for obvious reasons.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Vanth, how about we just add the directions to the list for now, and then once the submissions are made for the apartments, the rest can be added under the "view" command?

Quote from: "Vanth"I'm not sure about the 'view' idea...that would take some coding and I'm not a coder.  However, I can change the short description...so instead of 'a two-room apartment' it could say:

the first two-room apartment on the left
or
a living room and sleeping room at the end of the hall on the right

So if you see buildings where you'd like more info, email me with a brief description of where the place is as well as the NPC landlord, and submit to me a few sample descriptions if you know what the rooms look like already.

Keep descriptions under one line and they must have no commas.

What if there was something like

ask landlord apartment4

Oh, it looks like this!
(desc)
To the west is the kitchen it's
(kitchen desc)

Or something along those lines.

I'd just be happy with knowing where the apartment is in the building.

Say my character wants to have a room right near the entrance, to make moving easier and discourage burglars.  Or they are a sulking bard and want to live way at the back of the building on the second floor to avoid traffic.  

It's irritating that I don't even know where in the building the apartment is when I buy it.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Well, #1 is always the first apartment on the left (or is it the right? Pretty sure it is the left).
#2 is on the right.
#3 is second on the left...
etc

Unless it is in one of the screwy building with apartments all over the place willy nilly.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

That's a little too unclear for my tastes, especially because this rule (which I have never before encountered until you mentioned it just now) is not easily translated to some apartment buildings...one building I know of is a regular warren of rooms, with apartments under the ground and through multiple doorways and over the rooftops!

I once did a rendition of Mary Poppins in those rooms, come to think of it.

But that's a whole different story.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"That's a little too unclear for my tastes, especially because this rule (which I have never before encountered until you mentioned it just now) is not easily translated to some apartment buildings...one building I know of is a regular warren of rooms, with apartments under the ground and through multiple doorways and over the rooftops!

No more kren for Laura.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "LauraMars"That's a little too unclear for my tastes, especially because this rule (which I have never before encountered until you mentioned it just now) is not easily translated to some apartment buildings...one building I know of is a regular warren of rooms, with apartments under the ground and through multiple doorways and over the rooftops!

And totally worth it's own thread  :wink:

Quote from: "Cegar"Well, #1 is always the first apartment on the left (or is it the right? Pretty sure it is the left).
#2 is on the right.
#3 is second on the left...
etc

Unless it is in one of the screwy building with apartments all over the place willy nilly.

No, it isn't.  I once lived in a building where #1 wasn't even on the same floor as #2.  Oh, I guess you covered that with the bit about the willy nilly screwy buildings.  Yeah, those suck.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins