Trading from the North/South to the South/North?

Started by Trader, July 02, 2006, 04:49:34 PM

With the war raging on in the middle of the desert, is it acceptable for southeners from Allanak to ride up to Tuluk and trade their goods and vice versa?

Are the military relations kept strictly military or do the commoners also have bad relations between each other?

Even in peace time, inter-city trading is not always the safest occupation and not always met with the warmest receptions, unless you're somebody from a safely neutral background (i.e. a member of a Merchant House or a tribal.)

In the middle of a war, I imagine hatred would only intensify. Trade at your own risk.

What they don't know can't hurt them.  Who's to say anyone will notice that a) you are foreign and b) you are trading goods while visiting the opposing city-state?  I doubt the templars of either city are standing guard over the shops to see who is coming in and buying/selling.

Though severely out of context, it's interesting to note that Coca-Cola made sure to continue profiting between Germany and the United States even during World War II.  Despite being at war, they maintained a healthy trading relationship.

QuoteThough severely out of context, it's interesting to note that Coca-Cola made sure to continue profiting between Germany and the United States even during World War II. Despite being at war, they maintained a healthy trading relationship.

If I remember my history correctly, Coca-Cola didn't actually trade with Germany, instead using a plant that was in Germany to produce the products with products that could be found in Germany (since Coke boasts that Coke is the same all over the world... it's not, by the way... I find the taste to be a lot sweeter in the US). This led to the creation of Fanta, which was so profitable that Coca-Cola kept producing it after the war.

Seeing as how I'm too lazy to Google it, I could be wrong

/sidenote

Those who take risks and survive in the time of conflict prosper.

But, understand, that in a state of open warfare _any_ foreigner will be looked up with extreme suspicion.  Up to, and including, locals taking into their own hands to remove the "spy."

Again, you can take the risk, but be ready for an extremely hostile and possibly life ending response.

So I would assume the key is discretion and brevity?  I.e.:  Enter the city with the goods, sell them, and leave without talking to anyone or lingering?

I wouldn't even recommend it during time of peace.. Some players are too quick to go "Opposite accent = spy" on you.. Unfortunatly, some of them are in a position to end your life rather abruptly.

I would do what others suggest.. Go in, trade quickly, get the hell out.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I would also suggest that you take care to appear physically to belong in the city, or at least--not to NOT belong.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Southern accent? Allanak? Nah, I'm from Luir's/Redstorm.

Northern accent? What? The krath you talkin' about, I'm from Luir's!
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Also, for the north, ride in on a Luir's kank, not a 'Nakki kank.  Those are a dead giveaway.  Pun intended.

For the south, go in, get out, and hope no one asks to see your hands or neck.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"