Brawling

Started by Bebop, June 29, 2006, 03:06:08 PM

I don't like the brawl code, you can't even hit anyone any more if they are seated.  You just grab them roughly, what does that even mean?  It's not like you're subduing them.  Plus it emotes for you like throwing cups and things like that.  I don't want to throw cups I want to duke it out with someone and it creates conflict when someone emotes punching someone and then the coded is emote is that you're throwing a cup or grabbing someone's shoulder.  I would like to see this changed.

Also I still think a brawl test should be allowed, because sometimes the main descs in the room are not clear about what kind of coded actions will be taken.  It's an OOC, Code issue not an RP issue because someone needs to know whether there are going to be coded consequences to their actions or not.

Brawling is fun, but I think it needs to be tweaked.

Quote from: "Bebop"Also I still think a brawl test should be allowed, because sometimes the main descs in the room are not clear about what kind of coded actions will be taken.  It's an OOC, Code issue not an RP issue because someone needs to know whether there are going to be coded consequences to their actions or not.

I absolutely agree with this, and have taken the same line of argument several times.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

There also needs to be added a 'help brawl' file.

And the thing where you can't hit someone who's sitting at a table? That's rubbish. And it's even more rubbish because the person gets a chance to return the hit and strike you, while still being immune. If anyone wants to avoid a brawl, all they have to do is 'sit bar'.
b]YB <3[/b]

I could be wrong, but I believe I recall characters with adequate skill being able to forcibly throw people out of their seats. Even if not, you should still be roleplaying someone grabbing your shoulder and shoving you. Saying "sit bar" is the way to avoid brawls isn't really true.

While I'm not necessarily against a brawl test option, I'd like to point out that nosave arrest would be a good thing to have set any time you want to brawl another PC. If you're in a bad place for that... well, you'll only make that mistake once.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Forgive me, but simply I cannot understand how you cannot understand where you can brawl or not. If it's fancy, do not. Period.

Other than that, I agree.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I'v seen dorks just sit there while some one was trying to start trouble - shoving them roughly.

It just looked bad. Didn't even pass one emote to the other dude.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I don't think there should be a 'brawl test'.
After all, how do YOU know when the militia are gonna show up?

I think the code should be changed all together to make it appear...well...less shitty all around. I think it should work something like this...

Your view:

hit man (swinging a fist in at %man face)

Swinging a fist in at the blue-eyed man's face you attempt to strike him but fail.

hit man (following through with a quick elbow at %man chest)

Following through with a quick elbow at the blue-eyed man's chest you strike him!

Your targets view:

Swinging a fist in at your face the big-brawler attempts to strike you but fails.

Following through with a quick elbow at your chest the big-brawler strikes you!

Third party view:

Swinging a fist in at the blue-eyed man's face the big-brawler attempts to strike the blue-eyed man but fails.

Following through with a quick elbow at the blue-eyed man's chest the big-brawler strikes the blue-eyed man!

How hard would this be to code?

I have no idea.

How much better would it be than what we currently have?

A freakin' kank-shit load.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

There's a difference between PC soldiers coming into crash the party and someone (especially a newb) typing hit so and so and having a soldier come in and insta kill them or drag them off to jail and strip them of their weapons.  If there was a brawl test, and brawling available in more areas (which I think it should be) we would see more rowdy fights and people getting pissed at each etc.  I'd like it.

Quote from: "Jherlen"Even if not, you should still be roleplaying someone grabbing your shoulder and shoving you.

But people don't emote it.  Plus it should be the player's choice to decide how they are going to brawl.  If I emote coming towards someone and punching them while they're in their seat, I shouldn't be only forced to grab their shoulder, that's not even brawling - grabbing someone's shoulder.

Also the closest thing of pushing someone aside in brawling that I've beheld is catching someone's fist and pushing them back.  I've tried a few times with decent skill and alas no avail.  Also I witnessed a brawl recently where someone was getting their butt kicked.  They sat down and the fight was over because the brawl code no longer worked, they just had to keep grabbing their shoulder.  Not cool.