Questions about elven tribes

Started by talus, June 22, 2006, 05:01:56 AM

I've been perusing the elf documents and threads, and they're very informative. That being said, I'm still confused about/missing parts of the picture on a bunch of things.

- If I make a elf PC, and he/she's in a tribe, do I just choose from some list of preexisting tribes and have him/her gain membership with imm help? Or might I collaborate OOC with other players that are making an elf to create a tribe? (I've rolled up an elf before, but I made him an indie orphan to sidestep the issue of tribes).

-This sort of overlaps with the previous question, but: Where/how do these tribes originate from? A bunch of friends/family traveling/living together eventually growing into a group so big that they just form a tribe? Or are they fragments of a common parent tribe that they all ultimately come from?

-Desert elf tribe culture seems straightforward enough (or so I think), but what about city elves? How might a tribe of city elves live, exactly? Do they have apartments/houses like Joe Blow the human and just affiliate themselves with each other even if they don't live in the same space? Or do they live in tents in the ghettos together to preserve that communal feel of desert tribes? A combination of the above?  How might elves of a city tribe support each other?

I'm pretty sure I'm probably not getting something right somewhere.

If a question has been already answered on another thread or doc, I'd appreciate a referral.

Thanks!

Quote from: "talus"
- If I make a elf PC, and he/she's in a tribe, do I just choose from some list of preexisting tribes and have him/her gain membership with imm help? Or might I collaborate OOC with other players that are making an elf to create a tribe? (I've rolled up an elf before, but I made him an indie orphan to sidestep the issue of tribes).
If you make an elf character, there are three things you can do:
1) Be tribeless ("a tribe of one").
2) Belong in a virtual tribe, which you'd need to mention in your Background.
3) Belong in a hard-coded tribe.  Though it's possible to join a hard-coded tribe without staff assistance, I strongly recommend you talk to the desert elf staffers (or to whoever posts a player announcement recruitment post) to work out your concept.
-Where/how do these tribes originate from? A bunch of friends/family traveling/living together eventually growing into a group so big that they just form a tribe? Or are they fragments of a common parent tribe that they all ultimately come from?
Each tribe has a different story into how it came into being.  Elves are tribal by nature, so it can be anything from a group of wanderers that had a chance meeting to a single family that came from a single mother to even a few ancient tribes that merged into a new one.  This last one is probably extremely rare though.
-How might a tribe of city elves live, exactly? Do they have apartments/houses like Joe Blow the human and just affiliate themselves with each other even if they don't live in the same space? Or do they live in tents in the ghettos together to preserve that communal feel of desert tribes? A combination of the above?  How might elves of a city tribe support each other?
Inside a city, nobody really lives inside a tent.  It depends on the wealth and power of the elven tribe - they might claim a single alley or street corner, or they could claim a place in the 'rinth or rent a place in Allanak itself, if they can afford it.  It also depends on the size of the tribe and on its personality - some tribes might prefer to get a single huge structure and others might prefer to just live in the same area.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I thought that there was a somewhat recent edict that D-elf apps had to be part of one of the already existing, supported, and open D-elf tribes.  I could be mistaken, though, or that policy could have been reversed when I wasn't looking.

EDIT: nevermind, we're talking about city elves aren't we?

I read it somewhere, but I cannot find it now, that desert elves are limited by restrictions: In order to make a desert elf, you must join one of the existing documented clans, and you cannot be tribeless.

My understanding of this process is that you app and mention the clan, and mail the imm for access to any additional documentation.  You don't "join" a tribe ICly, though - you are considered to be part of it from birth.  Maybe this needs to be added to formal documentation for race elf.

Most tribes come with a distinction between "younglings" and "adults" that will explain your ignorance of current tribe members.

Elves of a city tribe might support one another by choice of occupation, defense, and general function. Like the mafia. -shrugs-

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I thought that there was a somewhat recent edict that D-elf apps had to be part of one of the already existing, supported, and open D-elf tribes.  I could be mistaken, though, or that policy could have been reversed when I wasn't looking.

EDIT: nevermind, we're talking about city elves aren't we?

For D-elfs: http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13502
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

THAT was it. Thank you, amoeba.