ADDKEYWORD!!!!

Started by mansa, June 21, 2006, 10:00:23 AM

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19905

Yay.  Finally I can be the pimp I want to be, after proving it in game!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Very neat.

Can this be done from anywhere? I would personally suggest making it a Hall of Kings thing, to prevent abuse.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"Very neat.

Can this be done from anywhere? I would personally suggest making it a Hall of Kings thing, to prevent abuse.

We considered that, as well as considered making it only doable from rooms where you can add scars, but then realized those changes would defeat the real use of it.  The idea is that you can decide on the fly to be called Amos, and then just add it right then and there.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

If Sergio walks into a bar looking for Aide Leone, wanting to be interviewed for a position, would it be abuse to addkeyword Leone for a scam?

If Adie Leone spreads the word that he wants people to way him, would it be abuse to addkeyword Leone for a scam?

I would say -that- is abuse, simply because you're using OOC knowledge of someone else being a recruiter.   Unless, of course, you're playing the part well, with disguises and you sorta look alike, and the NPCs of the Bar wouldn't react to you saying your someone else.

Remember, you can't remove keywords without having to go through a long and drawn out process talking with Halaster.  And nobody likes talking with Halaster.  Except for maybe Halaster.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Northlander"If Sergio walks into a bar looking for Aide Leone, wanting to be interviewed for a position, would it be abuse to addkeyword Leone for a scam?

If Adie Leone spreads the word that he wants people to way him, would it be abuse to addkeyword Leone for a scam?

As for the first question, I wouldn't see it as scam if you IC'ly impersonate the person. Of course, if someone who knows the real person points you out as a scammer, don't use the OOC fact that you have the "name" as IC proof.

For your second question, I would say yes, since you don't IC'ly contact a person by thinking their name (as far as I know). You don't dial "Amos" into your brain and find the nearest person named Amos - you try and reach the mind of the actual person. People wouldn't accidentally reach the wrong person because they had decided to use the name of someone else. Especially not if you haven't told them - if you've spoken to the person in question and impersonated Leone to make them believe that it's you, then it's fine.

All that said, I think you should be careful about adding someone's name as a keyword on purpose. It will cause a lot of confusion and future annoyance when people want to contact the actual person. And you can't have the keyword removed just like that.

Or that's how I see it.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"For your second question, I would say yes, since you don't IC'ly contact a person by thinking their name (as far as I know). You don't dial "Amos" into your brain and find the nearest person named Amos - you try and reach the mind of the actual person. People wouldn't accidentally reach the wrong person because they had decided to use the name of someone else. Especially not if you haven't told them - if you've spoken to the person in question and impersonated Leone to make them believe that it's you, then it's fine.

Actually you can 'contact Amos' and accidentally contact someone you didn't intend to.  That is why we added the ability to contact using multiple keywords (like:  'contact Amos tall hairy human' as opposed to 'contact Amos short bald dwarf').  Of course, I'm not sure how many people really take advantage of that.

As others have said.  Be careful deciding to add the keyword of someone you're trying to impersonate.  It can backfire on you, and actually it's Nessalin you have to convince to remove the keyword.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "Hymwen"For your second question, I would say yes, since you don't IC'ly contact a person by thinking their name (as far as I know). You don't dial "Amos" into your brain and find the nearest person named Amos - you try and reach the mind of the actual person. People wouldn't accidentally reach the wrong person because they had decided to use the name of someone else. Especially not if you haven't told them - if you've spoken to the person in question and impersonated Leone to make them believe that it's you, then it's fine.

Actually you can 'contact Amos' and accidentally contact someone you didn't intend to.  That is why we added the ability to contact using multiple keywords (like:  'contact Amos tall hairy human' as opposed to 'contact Amos short bald dwarf').  Of course, I'm not sure how many people really take advantage of that.

As others have said.  Be careful deciding to add the keyword of someone you're trying to impersonate.  It can backfire on you, and actually it's Nessalin you have to convince to remove the keyword.

I meant IC'ly... you can't IC'ly contact the wrong person because of a name mix-up, right? I mean, I know you can codedly but it doesn't make sense to me from a realism point of view.
b]YB <3[/b]

Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to make removing the name personally an option? Don't get me wrong, I'm down with this, like most everything ya'll have tucked in, but I think that if you could remove it personally, it would be better. I'd tuck a timer on it for like a RL day or 2, so that it delayed your losing the name, and if someone used that name to emote or talk or contact you, the timer would reset.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Hymwen"
I meant IC'ly... you can't IC'ly contact the wrong person because of a name mix-up, right? I mean, I know you can codedly but it doesn't make sense to me from a realism point of view.

Depends on the situation.  If someone told you "contact Joe the Salarri about finding a job", but you've never met Joe, you could easily confuse Joe with another Joe and get the wrong Joe.

If you already know Joe, then yeah, you shouldn't make a mistake like that.  But, like Morg said, that's where you can use contact Joe tall bald to make sure.  Really, the code isn't going to perfectly mimic how it "should" be because it won't really know who you've met and who you haven't, etc.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to make removing the name personally an option? Don't get me wrong, I'm down with this, like most everything ya'll have tucked in, but I think that if you could remove it personally, it would be better. I'd tuck a timer on it for like a RL day or 2, so that it delayed your losing the name, and if someone used that name to emote or talk or contact you, the timer would reset.

Let's say you use the alias Blueballs.  You become famous as a villain named Blueballs and people come to know you as Blueballs.  It doesn't make sense that you can just remove the keyword to avoid the repurcussions since now nobody knows your name.  In fact, even if you decided "I shall never henceforth be known as Blueballs!", that doesn't mean Joe can't decide you're still Blueballs in his mind.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to make removing the name personally an option? Don't get me wrong, I'm down with this, like most everything ya'll have tucked in, but I think that if you could remove it personally, it would be better. I'd tuck a timer on it for like a RL day or 2, so that it delayed your losing the name, and if someone used that name to emote or talk or contact you, the timer would reset.

Because it would require a revamp to keywords to have them temporarily stored and timered.  If we did that, we would have to consider keywords you added when you started the character, would those slowly disappear if you didn't use them or 're-up' them somehow?  

While it might be a gee-whiz cool thing, we would rather you guys carefully consider adding keywords than haphazardly adding them knowing that they'll time out in a few days or whatever.

Edit: And what Halaster said.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I thought that contacting people had absolutely nothing to do with their name, but rather finding their mind and spirit sort of thing, which is just codedly done by using their name and/or one or more keywords. Otherwise, if - code aside - your character was supposed to find Joe Salarr's mind and only had the name to go by, he/she would have to go through every Joe in the world until he hit the right one, which would take him forever and a day.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Morgenes"

Because it would require a revamp to keywords to have them temporarily stored and timered.  If we did that, we would have to consider keywords you added when you started the character, would those slowly disappear if you didn't use them or 're-up' them somehow?  

While it might be a gee-whiz cool thing, we would rather you guys carefully consider adding keywords than haphazardly adding them knowing that they'll time out in a few days or whatever.

Edit: And what Halaster said.

Well, I wasn't talking about them fading. I was talking about more of a timered command like 'unkeyword' that tooke a few days to timer out, then removed the keyword. However, I get the drift.

Either way, good stuff.

Now, put in the option to 'carry' instead of 'drag' your person and we're on like Don.

:)
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

In my experience, most folks who use aliases pick ones that they don't have keywords for specifically because they don't want to be picked out by their keywords.

If Joe Rinther goes around telling all the militia that his name is Sniffles, but doesn't make Sniffles a keyword, is that cool?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"In my experience, most folks who use aliases pick ones that they don't have keywords for specifically because they don't want to be picked out by their keywords.

If Joe Rinther goes around telling all the militia that his name is Sniffles, but doesn't make Sniffles a keyword, is that cool?

I'm sure it is!  You can always use the request function to ask the immortals to -add- a keyword to another player's character, as long as it's justified. These things are always up to the immortals, where to draw the line.

I love this addition, it seems like every week more functionality is being added and it rocks.

Any thought to creating an addkeyword that a player can target at another player? Something that would temporarily add the keyword until they logged out.

Like if you're a Sergeant and you want to call a private Meat... It wouldn't have to be permanent, but that way you could call people whatever you wanted to for a short time.

:shock:

The guy says: I'm Muk Utep.

addkeyword MukUtep

the other guy says: lol! no way.

the guy says: Just look at me.

the other guy looks at the guy, his jaw dropping.

the guy says: Bitch.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Hymwen"I thought that contacting people had absolutely nothing to do with their name, but rather finding their mind and spirit sort of thing, which is just codedly done by using their name and/or one or more keywords. Otherwise, if - code aside - your character was supposed to find Joe Salarr's mind and only had the name to go by, he/she would have to go through every Joe in the world until he hit the right one, which would take him forever and a day.

I can only speak on my view of it, IMMs may have a completely different and far more valid take.  But this is fantasy and names in fantasy often have power.  You don't have to learn a persons mental spirit to contact them, you just have to focus on their name is how I always RPed it.  Because that name is inextricably connected with their psychic persona.

I'd tend to disagree with SpyGuy.  You can definitely contact people without knowing any unique or "true" name for them, and in fact we even added multiple-keyword support to contact to facilitate this.  You can "contact red raven elf" to contact the red-eyed, raven-haired elf even if you've never heard his name and there are a zillion red-haired elves in the world.

-- X

I love it.

But my only thing on it is, an alias/nickname, is just that, unlike a truename, one can decide he no longer wants to answer to that alias/nick anymore.

Would it be possible to add a title command to PC's that works like Title on mounts?

That is something I could have used many times in the past and can see needing in the future.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Xygax"I'd tend to disagree with SpyGuy.  You can definitely contact people without knowing any unique or "true" name for them, and in fact we even added multiple-keyword support to contact to facilitate this.  You can "contact red raven elf" to contact the red-eyed, raven-haired elf even if you've never heard his name and there are a zillion red-haired elves in the world.

-- X

My point wasn't that names, especially "true" names, were the only way to contact someone.  Just that they are one of several valid ways to know and contact someone.  So in my thinking (which could be wrong) you can find someones mind by focusing on physical appearance.  Or a name.  Or a random alias they're known by.  All of those things have some sort of resonance with their psychic selves.

I play it that you can find anyones mind so long as you know they exist and can find the "essence" of their mind. Thats why the elves now rule Allanak.

-Ken

I have a feeling there is going to be about 50 players with the extra keyword 'Amos' pretty soon.  Heck, I'm debating it *evil grin*

Question about keywords -

Say my true character name is Bob.

I add a keyword - say, Nob. And I'm known all over the Known World as Nob.
I become a long-lived character and I play really well. The question is, is the link between Nob and Bob quite obvious to the staff?

For example, if the staff hear about this Nob fellow and how terrifically realistic and great I am playing him - will the staff be automatically able to deduce that Nob is played by me? So will it be detrimental to my potential karma and positive reviews to use my keyword name more than my "true" name?

(note, i'm not a karma whore - would just like to get some insight on this)

Quote from: "Praetorian"I have a feeling there is going to be about 50 players with the extra keyword 'Amos' pretty soon.  Heck, I'm debating it *evil grin*
If I were to make up an alias, I certainly wouldn't use the most common name out there.

Quote from: "Praetorian"I have a feeling there is going to be about 50 players with the extra keyword 'Amos' pretty soon.  Heck, I'm debating it *evil grin*

You make real Amos cry. <sniffle>

Quote from: "mansa"http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19905

Yay.  Finally I can be the pimp I want to be, after proving it in game!

Heh, yeah, this is a sweet addition. :)  I'm so pumped.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L