General use mental emotes

Started by talus, June 19, 2006, 12:21:49 PM

How about a general use mental emote?

>memote suddenly realizes he is late for morning practice.
'Amos suddenly realizes he is late for morning practice.'

>memote can't help but feel like ~stool is out of place.
'Amos can't help but feel like his simple wooden stool is out of place.'

It would basically work just like the normal garden-variety emote, but just not echo.

I could be totally missing something here, but I was under the impression that the thoughts handled by "think" and "feel" were to be purely emotional.

Seemingly Acceptable:
feel sad and slightly frustrated.
feel terribly pissed off.
think (very angry) I could strangle that bastard Amos!

Seemingly Unacceptable:
feel your thoughts going back and forth about the true meaning behind the templar's last words.
think (imagery of the last couple hours flashing through your mind with a deluge of remorse) I killed her...I...I can't believe I killed her.

If I'm wrong, and maaaan I hope I am, that would rock!

One of us is definitely missing something.  Why do you think that the "think" and "feel" commands carry restrictions like that?

And how is your second set of examples NOT related to emotion?

-- X

Ideally, you should edit yourself as little as possible when using think and feel.  If you're really in-touch with your character, you should be able to type whatever comes into your head as thinks or feels, as long as it's something your character WOULD ICly think and feel.  Try not to worry about whether or not it suits some over-arching rules about what think and feel are supposed to be.  As long as it is IC, put it in there.

-- X

Good:
think Vision: tregils dancing around.  (There's simply no other way to do this at the moment).

think I'm sad.

think I am.

think Vision: life flashes before your eyes.

feel sad

feel conflicting sadness and happiness

feel extremely curious but at the same time a little smug

Bad:
think [does an action, hidden emote]
think OOC: lol
feel a headache/something crawling up the trousers
feel the urge to whack the templar around
feel the need for speed.

All IMHO.

I still think we should get an extra command specifically to imagine things.

EDIT: Oh.  I guess you can mostly ignore this post due to what Xygax posted above.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"Bad:
think [does an action, hidden emote]
think OOC: lol
feel a headache/something crawling up the trousers
feel the urge to whack the templar around
feel the need for speed.

The first two of these and the last one are definitely bad.  I think the rest are okay.  Feeling a headache, or feeling itches, etc., I think are okay.  Feeling the urge to hit someone is definitely okay, if that's legit for your character.  The last one seems anachronistic to me.

-- X

Interesting. I, too, was under the impression that physical feeling was NOT supposed to be used with the feel command. I started off using it like that a lot when the command was first implemented, like feeling the cool night air or throbbing pain from a sparring hit, but I seem to recall hearing it was for emotions only. Am I mistaken on this?
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Look, I'm not setting official policy here, but I definitely don't object to that use of feel, just don't poweremote it.

If you're worried about this sort of thing, you could instead roleplay it using a hidden emote.  If you "feel an itch on your leg" and don't want to use feel, then just "hemote scratches his leg irritably" or whatever.

-- X

This has been covered before (see a good summary here), but I don't recall if the topic has been closed.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Xygax"I definitely don't object to that use of feel, just don't poweremote it.
Poweremoting would be "feel yourself with a broad grin on your face as no-one in the whole tavern realizes what you're doing.