Sexism

Started by Bebop, June 14, 2006, 02:08:19 PM

I just have to add that more ornate armor with flowers and stuff and pink flint weapons would own.

No offense, but I don't find the idea of associating men as protectors and women as nurturers to be sexist.  It's when you get into restricting them to these roles, suggesting that's all they can be that you become sexist.

Also, on the comment about armor : Have you ever seen an army made entirely of women?  I haven't, I can't think of any point in history where there was one.  So, I'd be understanding if in these sorts of games that armor tailored to women was lacking.  They really don't have much to draw on.  Armor, especially older armor of the non bullet-proof kind, was made primarily for men.  So I don't see how you can put armor in this world without making it seem masculine.

Besides, the fact that there are plenty of women kicking ass throughout the game should be plenty of evidence to new players that the usual physical restrictions don't apply to women in this game.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Sanvean"
Not marking women as outside the norm (AC touches on this) linguistically.

What are some ways we can improve this one?  This is the hard one for me.

Should we start simply always leaving out 'female' from sdescs?  The short, ugly female templar becomes the short, ugly templar (and we can laugh our asses off as people call her a Lord, heheh).  I think that's an easy one.

Any other suggestions?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"Should we start simply always leaving out 'female' from sdescs?  The short, ugly female templar becomes the short, ugly templar (and we can laugh our asses off as people call her a Lord, heheh).  I think that's an easy one.

Any other suggestions?
Or we could just start adding the qualifier "male." That's actually been my preference for a while now.

As for other ways to combat our bias, that's hard. And I have no idea. Encourage female players to make more ugly women?

I think if we added 'male', it would help a little bit.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

No more templars.

Only Templarettas and Templarraths.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

A city-state with ALL female templars. Ruled by a sorcerer-kings of course.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I don't really see anything wrong with distinguishing females and males linguistically. I mean, they are still men and women and they are still different. Lady Templar and Lord Templar carry the same amount of weight to me. I can understand the male qualifier for sdescs, though.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Halaster"Any other suggestions?

Allanak's npcs, particularly in the Rinth and the soldiers of Allanak, could be equalled
out.

And if you really wanted to culture-shock the newbies, you could make the Byn npcs
female-heavy.

Lastly, and I'm not sure how to bring a practical solution to this, but there have been
people noting that the vast majority of Allanak rulers and powergrabbers in history
have been male.  Don't worry, I'm trying.  It may take a while though. ;)
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Intrepid"

Lastly, and I'm not sure how to bring a practical solution to this, but there have been
people noting that the vast majority of Allanak rulers and powergrabbers in history
have been male.  

Can't do much about that - not going to re-write history, heh.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"Can't do much about that - not going to re-write history, heh.
I'd hate to see plots done just to replace current world-leaders with females (as in, Tektolnes, Sand Lord, Muk Utep).

Quote from: "Halaster"Can't do much about that - not going to re-write history, heh.

You just wait.  I'm going to make a female avangion some day.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Yeah, yeah.

Just add in some tattos, like half-naked male figures, to balance out the half-naked female ones that I've seen in game.

Throw out a few more 'female' mounts to end that point.

Create a few more armor peices that are "feminine" in real-life perspectives -- more flowers and songbirds on breastplates!  Yay!  

Slip in a few more female gruff PCs who will beat your ass senseless for whatever appropriate reason.

And last but not least -- someone please clear this up for me:  Sky.  Blue or Red?  (The game seems to think both)

P.S.-- the Sand Lord is female.  She's just calling herself a Lord to be ironic.

Quote from: "Vesperas"Create a few more armor peices that are "feminine" in real-life perspectives -- more flowers and songbirds on breastplates!  Yay!  

Slip in a few more female gruff PCs who will beat your ass senseless for whatever appropriate reason.
Wait. You want gruff women who like pretty glowers and sonbirds? That makes no sense to me! Tough != delicate. Songbirds and flowers == delicate.

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "Vesperas"Create a few more armor peices that are "feminine" in real-life perspectives -- more flowers and songbirds on breastplates!  Yay!  

Wait. You want gruff women who like pretty glowers and sonbirds? That makes no sense to me! Tough != delicate. Songbirds and flowers == delicate.

They don't have to be wearing the "new" armor. :P  It's just more selection for the players, male or female, or want to be delicate, but armored.

You can be kickass and still be feminine just as much as a man can be manly and be kickass duh.

Some solutions (Which I think mostly depend on the players.)

-Less catty, strong woman, not necessarily manly, just women that act strong.

-If your female PC encounters a male PC going on about what it means to "be a man" be like where I come from the only difference is what's between ye' legs!

-Armor that appeals to both artsy or delicate and gruff designs.   And more skirts  Or armor designed to fit around women's breasts more easily!

-Men realizing that just because you wear something ornate doesn't mean it's "girly" such as leaf, or flower patterned gear or clothing.  Especially in Tuluk they are very proud of their comparitive lush grasslands and the neighboring forest at least I've always thought so.  And it's an expression of art as well.

-People to be self aware about using terms like:
"Don't be swing like a girl."
"You need to have balls to do this or that."

While people said I don't have a problem with quirri quarrels for girls, and banging heads together like duskhorn for guys.  I don't have a problem for either of these as long as they would be used equally for either sex.  If you are going to say either of these things be just as likely to say it about either sex.

This maybe how you know you are being sexist, is what you are saying reversible?

If you would say, women and their quirri quarrels about women would you say, Look at those men quirri quarreling.  Look at those women banging heads like duskhorn.

If you would say, That takes balls!  Would you on the flip side say, That takes tits!  

The Byn will make a man out of you!  The Byn will make a woman out of you!  And if you would - don't just say you would to assure yourself you're not being sexist, do it!  It will help fade the line between sexism.

And on that note, I'm locking the thread since there's been some recent silly posts.