Variable Skillsets

Started by Intrepid, June 12, 2006, 09:31:45 PM

What would you think if, depending on your starting location, class choice, race and
subclass choice, you get a certain set of skills?

For example, we have two half-elven ranger/scavengers.  One starts in Red Storm,
the other starts in the Labyrinth.  The Red Storm example would likely have some
abilities based around the notion of scavenging in the wilderness, while the scavenger
in the Rinth is used to picking clean the corpses of the unlucky.

This could possibly work for elves depending on their starting tribe as well.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Something like this would be great but likely a lot of work and for the most part I don't think there would be that many differences between a ranger in location X and one anywhere else in the world.  One good starter for this (as has been proposed elsewhere) is definitely having a northern merchant class skillset and a southern merchant class skillset.  That much would include important enough distinctions to be worth the time and effort I feel.

It would be good in some cases. Especially merchants, where even Allanaki merchants start with lumberjacking and fletchery, which makes little sense.

As for your example, I don't think rangers belong in the 'rinth at all, unless it's an actual ranger who has moved into the 'rinth for some reason. You don't become a ranger in the 'rinth. But I know that it was just an example.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"It would be good in some cases. Especially merchants, where even Allanaki merchants start with lumberjacking and fletchery, which makes little sense.

As for your example, I don't think rangers belong in the 'rinth at all, unless it's an actual ranger who has moved into the 'rinth for some reason. You don't become a ranger in the 'rinth. But I know that it was just an example.

You need the skinning skill to properly skin rats.  So if you are the sort of person who runs around in the sewers harvesting rat meat for the masses and collecting rat pelts with dreams of someday owning your own rat-crafting emporium, your options are somewhat limited.  Many of your skills will not be useful in the Labyrinth, or at least not as useful as the "city" version of those skills would be, but if you are willing to be less skilled in most areas in order to get the ranger skinning ability, then where is the harm?

The labyrinth is a strange place, it isn't the wilderness but it isn't exactly civilization either.  A starving kid learning to catch rats for food isn't particularly far fetched.  Expanding that experience into larger game as you get older is also pretty reasonable.  You are hungry, you aren't actually a wanted criminal, so why shouldn't you leave the city to find FREE FOOD?  Those 'rinthers are wily buggers, there may even be  ways to get outside the city without going through Allanak proper at all.  Chances are that city maintenance crews don't go into the 'rinth to maintain the outer wall and haven't done so for hundreds of years, it would be surprising if there aren't makeshift hole-in-the-wall gates or rope ladder-over-the-wall passage points all over the place by now.  Ways that are not accessible to mounts or most large predators, but that scrawny little 'rinthers can easily scramble through.

I think 'rinth rangers are valid.  If they were not then you wouldn't be able to select Labyrinth from the HoK if you were a ranger.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I agree with AC, but I would like to also add that your class does not equal your
occupation.  A ranger can be many things, one of which is adaptable.  In the Rinth,
it's necessary to adapt if you want to survive.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Hymwen"It would be good in some cases. Especially merchants, where even Allanaki merchants start with lumberjacking and fletchery, which makes little sense.

Starting with fletchery is fine - you can make arrow shafts from a material (other than wood) that is plentiful in Allanak. This isn't too IC - just have to look in the shops. Though I think the helpfiles could be changed to reflect this as they call fletchery "the art of making arrowshafts from appropriate wood". Fully agree with lumberjacking - doesn't make much sense at all for a southern merchant to begin with this.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I don't think there are any feathered beasts south of Tuluk, so making arrows isn't easy even if you have an alternative arrowshaft material.
b]YB <3[/b]

Something is screwed so I can't quote the part about the feathered beasts.

Look up now and then.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

There are feathers south of 'nak, but they're much more rare.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "SpyGuy"Something like this would be great but likely a lot of work and for the most part I don't think there would be that many differences between a ranger in location X and one anywhere else in the world.  One good starter for this (as has been proposed elsewhere) is definitely having a northern merchant class skillset and a southern merchant class skillset.  That much would include important enough distinctions to be worth the time and effort I feel.

I sure hope, now that we can choose which values to assign to which attribute, that we don't see another flood of tailored code requests.

SpyGuy is right, this stuff takes a lot of work. If you want the differences, roleplay them. Why do we need different code to do this? We shouldn't get lazy and look to new/altered code to take the place of something that can be handled through our own role playing.