Idea: fall test

Started by UnderSeven, June 10, 2006, 01:11:22 PM

I've found many situations where I am in a room and I'm not sure if I would fall or not if I let go to rest or what have you.  It seems to me that not every room that might be a fall room is obvious when you're in it.  If by chance you have a high enough climb to move through it and not really notice, or magickal help, this can be a real problem.

So I propose much like quit test tells you if a room is quit test, a way to just see if a room is one you'll fall in if you arn't careful.  It seems to me it would be icly obvious as to if you're in danger of falling or not, while in game it isn't always that obvious.

How about this :  when you hit "exits," if you need to climb in that direction, it will say "Climb (Direction) : (whatever the room title is)."
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

But would that really warn you if typing rest or what have you would result in falling?  I think that's a good idea, but what if a room had a down exit you had to climb for, but did not itself make you fall?

Quote from: "UnderSeven"But would that really warn you if typing rest or what have you would result in falling?  I think that's a good idea, but what if a room had a down exit you had to climb for, but did not itself make you fall?

Well, the only way I know you can get into a room where you can fall if you rest is if you climb into it, which gives you a pretty clear little message.    So if you got the climb message as you entered the room, don't change your position.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Well I have two things to point out there:

1) That assumption is incorrect, there are ways to get into rooms without climbing and getting a climb message which are fall rooms.  This is bad because without said message some of these rooms give absolutely no indicator about if you will fall in them or not.

2) You're also saying that because you know if you climbed into a room you should just pay attention.  The thing is though if you were as a person on a cliff side, or percariously perched on a stick, you'd know, you would have no way of forgetting that you had to hold on there, however the way the game currently works, it is possible and infact not even all that hard in my experience to make that mistake.  My point?  If my first point weren't true, it would still be something you should just know and not have to be paying attention for in the first place.

This would be helpful when climbing trees.  Can I sit on a branch up here safely, or will I fall out of the tree and break my ass?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

This has been needed for a while, but I never climbed enough with my chars to make a fuss over it.

My suggestion would be to simply remove the ability to fall after typing "rest" when in a climb room. Either it says something like, "your position makes that impossible", or you rest. Punishing a player for attempting to rest in a room that gives no clear indication that you will fall (with an echo as silly as "bad move"), seems like old HnS comedy from early Armageddon times.

Why not, just have a prompt to let you konw that you are still climbing? There's already a prompt for movement (speed?) to let you know if you're walking/running and position for resting/sitting/standing... Why not just add to the movement a climb prompt. So, if you come across the unsure problem often, you could just set the prompt to show, and if it says climbing, clearly you're clinging to the cliff/wall/ledge, and don't have enough room for a rest, even if the room might indicate otherwise. *shrug* Least, that's my suggestion, but I didn't take a lot of time to hash it out. :wink:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I imagine this would involve (if it isn't already, and I doubt it) adding climbing to the list of positions that the code interprets.  But really, the best idea so far.  Mostly because, if climbing is added to the positions, you most definitely could not climb and rest at the same time.

- Marduk
If I eat food there wont be any room for Marduk, slayer of Tiamat!"

Sometimes I have climbed into a room, but I really sucked at climbing so I ran out of stamina before getting to the top (or bottom) of the thing I was climbing.  I give up and type rest or sit or something, assuming that will cause me to fall out of the room and back to solid ground  but then it doesn't!!!  I'm halfway up a cliff, and I'm totally resting!  In this situation I assume that while ledges are not specifically mentioned in the room description, the cliff face must be rugged enough that there are in fact small ledges that are big enough for me to stop and catch my breath.

It would be good if there was a way to know about that ahead of time.  That way I could emote wedging myself into niche in the stone to rest, instead of emoting my hands slipping from the sheer cliff face in exhaustion.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

"You cannot sit/rest while you are climbing."

or

"You are still climbing."
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"This has been needed for a while, but I never climbed enough with my chars to make a fuss over it.

My suggestion would be to simply remove the ability to fall after typing "rest" when in a climb room. Either it says something like, "your position makes that impossible", or you rest. Punishing a player for attempting to rest in a room that gives no clear indication that you will fall (with an echo as silly as "bad move"), seems like old HnS comedy from early Armageddon times.

I agree completely, there are even rooms where you climb up -over- the edge but, the room is still
a falling room. Although I agree for the betterment of the game. I have found the "bad move" echo endless amounts of fun  :twisted:
we should see if there is an easily coded way to make it like jumping off the Shield Wall. I.e. you get a msg that
says you have to type "Rest Now"

Rest isn't the only thing though that can make you fall in a climb room.  A few commands and skills have this effect.  

Though if typing rest prompted it, that could be one way to test at the very least.  A little silly if you are seeking to do another command that would result in a fall otherwise.

A fall test or climbing position gets the thumbs up from me.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."