new skill: cover tracks

Started by theebie, June 08, 2006, 04:23:14 AM

hi,

what about a skill: "cover tracks" that will allow ranger/people to
move without leaving tracks which could be found with "hunt"?

regards, theebie

I wholly endorse this idea on the grounds that it wouldn't be a skill, but a subset of the "hunt" skill.  Also, give it to anyone who has the hunt skill, e.g., Assassins.

- Marduk
If I eat food there wont be any room for Marduk, slayer of Tiamat!"

Actually I think it would be a whole new skill, and would either branch from hunt or sneak. Hunt you're an expert on tracks, sneak you're an expert on moving without disturbing the ground or making a sound. This would equally make sense on either (IMO).

Quote from: "John"Actually I think it would be a whole new skill, and would either branch from hunt or sneak. Hunt you're an expert on tracks, sneak you're an expert on moving without disturbing the ground or making a sound. This would equally make sense on either (IMO).

Seconded.

This has been suggested on more than one previous occasion as well. Good idea, but then there are a lot of good skill ideas, and lots of other ways you can lose someone tracking you without it.

This is just such a cool idea.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

While I like the idea, it's also worth mentioning that it is already pretty easy to codedly obscure tracks.

-- X

Some guilds already have that skill..... Think about it.
your mother is an elf.

I don't like this at all.

One there are ways to obscure tracks which just take a little bit of clever use of pre existing skills and commands.  Why do I like this better?  I appreciate that this game has intricacies and little things we can do that allow us to obtain other affects without those things being spelled out for us in help files or as coded skills.  

Two, I don't like this idea because it's not actually possible to not leave any sign while touching the ground via a coded skill.  What I mean is, say you are in a room full of sand and you can't use magick.  You don't want to leave tracks.  You could sweep the sand, walk in very careful patterns, all sorts of things, but no matter what you do, because YOU did them, ultimately you're still going to be trackable.

So I'd have to say I'm pretty staunchly opposed, though I do like to hear new ideas.

There is already a way to cover your tracks.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

There is a way to cover your tracks already.  Think about it carefully and you can figure it out.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah, there is already a way. Rangers also eventually get it...

Quote from: "Xygax"Good point, Ritley.

I know it was. I am R0x0r at good points.

Heh...sneak really does not count.

I wish I knew what this method was.

you keep saying "there is a way" what way!? I wanna know, please.

I like the idea anyways. Maybe the better the hunter was at hunting the better the "cover track" skill should be?
rmageddon is the true teachings about the art of dying