When you were a noob

Started by Cavus, June 05, 2006, 06:44:56 PM

My first real character that got me addicted to the game:

-Thought a desert elf waying me to communicate was a mindbender because I didn't know about the Way yet.
-Fell down the well and survived.
-Sold templarate weapons to a shop, got arrested.
-Led one or two mobs to the gates to escape them I'm sure.
-Found out about the stun skill the hard way, getting knocked out by strong mob X then well...mantis head.

And countless other newbie adventures.  Was amazing he lived as long as he did, was definitely worth it though.

Quote from: "Xygax"...

Being new was cool.  I used to fantasize about finding out what those guys in the crater-bar (in old Tuluk) were guarding so zealously.

-- X

That, and every other place in the known world where I wasn't allowed to enter because people are guarding it...   Like the ol' Kadian Outpost by Mal Krian.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The first character that I can remember playing used to befriend people and get them to follow him into the 'rinth. I would lead them to some greedy npcs so I could loot their bodies afterwards.

I think I successfully managed to pull it off once or twice before the whole plan backfired and I died too.

Stealing spice repeatedly from a NPC in a 'rinthi tavern. I had twinked up my steal skill prior to this I imagine.

I know I've mentioned this before, but with my first PC I decided it would be a good idea for her to take a nap in the Grey Forest because she was very low on stamina.

With that same PC, I came across a vestric and decided to kill it.  My husband, who was nearby helping me with stuff, told me that I should emote and do things to show what my PC was doing.  So I had her yelling "Die!  Die!  Die!" while she hacked away at the poor creature.

She also learned the hard way to carry around water with her.  Lucky for me, after she finally managed to drag herself to a tavern (after running out of stamina a few times) there were a couple of nice PCs who helped her out.  Suffice it to say, I learned a hell of a lot with that character.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Ditto.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "ThirdEye"Ah yeah, I perma ran around because walking was 'too slow'.
I still do this from time to time ;)

When I was a newbie, I followed a 'rinther into an alley.

When I was a newbie, I slept in the street (and somehow didn't get robbed).

When I was a newbie, I tried to steal from shops.

When I was a newbie, the water was fresher and the imms gave you candy.
b]YB <3[/b]

One of my favorite stories is from when my friends and I were playing back in day (somewhere in the early 90's).

Half-Giants could pretty much subdue -> kill things with a decent strength, and my friend rolled the highest possible.  So he would walk around the 'rinth, grabbing elves and killing them to revel in his newfound strength.  That was Drew (who later played Deaden the 'krathi elf -- one of the Kohmar founders).

I had another friend, Reid (who later played Onyxwolf -- also a Kohmar founder), that was playing an elven character.  Well, the two of them were walking around the 'rinth and playing in the same room.  This is how the conversation went down:

Drew: Hey, Krag can one-hit subdue.  It's awesome.
Reid: Oh yeah?
Drew: Yeah, oh, there's an elf -- check this out.
Reid: Ok.
(Drew subdues elf -- first elf in room happens to be Reid)
Drew: Okay, check this out.
Reid: Wait...what are you doing?
Drew: I'm gonna one-hit this elf, watch.
Reid: Wait...don't I think...
Drew: Bam!
Reid: No no no!  That was ME!
Drew: What?
Reid: That was me!  You just killed me!
Drew: What?  How, I just killed this....uh....whoops.

-LoD

Grinning toothily, the tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak says, at your table, in 'rinthi-accented sirihish,
"Sure, I can find you the Byn."

give 300 coins tall
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Grinning toothily, the tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak says, at your table, in 'rinthi-accented sirihish,

give 300 coins tall

I pull that scam all the time.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "Malifaxis"Grinning toothily, the tall figure in a dark, hooded cloak says, at your table, in 'rinthi-accented sirihish,

give 300 coins tall

I pull that scam all the time.

What scam?  These are probably newbies you're milking.  That's like being proud that you snatched a sucker from a 4 year old.  Awesomesauce!  :wink:

-LoD

When I was a noob:

I thought I was hot shit in my gith gear.

When I was a noob, I thought the wastes would make a nice short cut from the road, you just have to go south right? S S S S

I had no idea about the grocer FOREVER - my first characer lived 3 RL months, I probably didn't find out about flour for half of that time.  Unless other people fed me it was tavern food for me.

Same for kanks.  I was determined that I did not need a kank - Once again, no idea how I survived, pure luck.

Armageddon was my first mud experience so I was lost for a long time.  My first character got into the byn, and I had no idea where anything was, So i went out into the compound and decided to try and kill a soldier.... Didn't end very well.

Then for a while I didn't know you could put kanks into the stables so I would buy one, do what I needed to do, then walk into a tavern and quit out... With that same character I travelled from tuluk to allanak, got mad at someone and threatened him with "powerful allies",  templars didn't like that idea very much. :?

I didn't get on the GDB like my employer asked of me oocly.  That was a big mistake.  Because I didn't do that, I only experience like half of what being in a clan is all about.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

When I was a noob, I picked a lock in front of 2 Salarri npcs, looted 2 rooms of Salarri stuff AND sold it back to the npcs.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

getting nasty with some noble. attakcign a guard cause he was blocking the only exit and I couldn't figure out the leave command, thougth maybe flee would get me out.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

When I was a newbie I rolled up my first character, a ranger. I read that agility affected archery, and my first roll was:

Str: very good
Agi: good
Wis: very good
End: exceptional

...thinking that these stats were common, I wanted a better agility, and rerolled.  :oops:

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"When I was a newbie I rolled up my first character, a ranger. I read that agility affected archery, and my first roll was:

Str: very good
Agi: good
Wis: very good
End: exceptional

...thinking that these stats were common, I wanted a better agility, and rerolled.  :oops:

Heh.  Well I bet the character wouldn't still be alive with that roll since first characters have a short lifespan, not sure if that helps though.

I'm glad I don't remember and didn't have any idea about my newbie character's stats.  I bet they all had absolutely incredible everything.

Well, when I was a newbie, I didn't actually make any horrible mistakes.  I still have time though.

Quote from: "Gorilla J"Well, when I was a newbie, I didn't actually make any horrible mistakes.  I still have time though.
:lol:

* First character. It's training time and I'm in a "Training Yard" and see NPCs there, so I figure like any other mud that the NPCs are there for me to fight with.

* A templar wanted to take my character from a house to be his personal servant. By that I thought he meant slave. I RPed my character going wild and refusing and saying he would never be a slave. He died a few moments later. (Oh. This was noobish because I thought Templars were evil slaver overlords, didn't realize that civilians were supposed to respect and fear and obey them at all cost).

* Spotted a hidden templar in a bar once (the same in error #2) and began freaking out, telling everyone that there was a templar in the bar. Everyone began looking, but couldn't see him, so they concluded I was crazy. My mistake was going all out to convince people he was there. Sure enough, he came out of hiding and had his half-giant choke me.

* Was really bored and was going through help files one day. Came across a specific code to enter to do something that was outlawed. Curious to see if I could actually do it, I tried the code. First three times got errors because I couldn't understand the syntax. Fourth try - got it right. And that's when the code also mentioned that what I had got right was very very wrong. I had to email the only Templar on at the time and beg and plead for mercy. It was granted. (He laughed at me, too)

Quote from: "gfair"* First character. It's training time and I'm in a "Training Yard" and see NPCs there, so I figure like any other mud that the NPCs are there for me to fight with.
I did that one time. I saw an NPC "practicing her artforms" and roleplayed out having getting her agreement to spar with me (seemed a fairly reasonable thing to do), next thing I know my sarge is asking me what happened.

Quote from: "gfair"* Was really bored and was going through help files one day. Came across a specific code to enter to do something that was outlawed. Curious to see if I could actually do it, I tried the code. First three times got errors because I couldn't understand the syntax. Fourth try - got it right. And that's when the code also mentioned that what I had got right was very very wrong. I had to email the only Templar on at the time and beg and plead for mercy. It was granted.
Is the command still around? The only thing I can think of is trapping, and I doubt your average newbie would have access to the materials...