Selecting Stats - A New Perspective

Started by John, June 02, 2006, 01:15:00 AM

Quote from: "desert_spider_eater"Being that AI is basically the roof, how does an aged cripple end up with AI strength in the first place?  Any takers?

I don't understand.  You are saying that putting Str at the top of the stat priority list will give the aged cripple a chance of AI strength?  Not by a long shot.  I'm willing to bet that if you roll a min-weight, elderly-age human character, with STR as main pref, you could reroll it a hundred times and never hit AI.  I'd be surprised if you hit very good more than once in twenty.  Frankly, I think you misunderstand how stat generation works.  Stat ordering will not facilitate twinking because the stat generation system as it exists is sufficiently robust as to guarantee realistic stats in all cases.  Stat ordering will -not- make it possible to roll any stats that couldn't have sprung up randomly anyway.

QuoteX-D and JoyofDiscord, I suspect you have both been lucky, bucause I assure you ... not all of us have experienced the same.

I'll definitely admit that possibility.  I've only had fifteen characters, so it's -possible- that it was just luck.  Fifteen times in a row.  Or maybe I also have more open expectations of stats.  I'm not disappointed with "above average", and when it comes, it always comes in a stat where I was expecting somewhere around below average - good.  It's just as often that I'm expecting very good - AI in a specific stat, and I practically always get it.

But my point here is not against stat ordering at all.  To the contrary.  I'm countering those that think it will provide some sort of special opportunity to manipulate the character in unrealistic ways to fool people.  It will not.  It will only provide some customization room -within- the bounds of the existing system.  This is clear to me by how it has been described by IMMs.  This is a very good thing for character customization and I completely support it.

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"
Quote from: "desert_spider_eater"Being that AI is basically the roof, how does an aged cripple end up with AI strength in the first place?  Any takers?

I don't understand.  You are saying that putting Str at the top of the stat priority list will give the aged cripple a chance of AI strength?  Not by a long shot.  I'm willing to bet that if you roll a min-weight, elderly-age human character, with STR as main pref, you could reroll it a hundred times and never hit AI.  I'd be surprised if you hit very good more than once in twenty.  Frankly, I think you misunderstand how stat generation works.  Stat ordering will not facilitate twinking because the stat generation system as it exists is sufficiently robust as to guarantee realistic stats in all cases.  Stat ordering will -not- make it possible to roll any stats that couldn't have sprung up randomly anyway.

Actually, I was curious how this would go about happening (since it seems you missed it):

Quote from: "Jakahri"My previous character serves as an excellent example of how looks can be deceiving. I initially created a concept of a man who was aging and half-crippled due to sustaining countless wounds in battle over his years of service. I, however, rolled AI strength and amazing agility as well.
If I eat food there wont be any room for Marduk, slayer of Tiamat!"

20 chars on this account,

my fifth had bad stats, but he also had a bad age for his race, my mistake.

so, the account is 5 years or so old, thats a lot of good rolls.

Of course, maybe like joyofdiscord I'm more open to what I consider good stats.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job