Think emotes

Started by Armaddict, June 01, 2006, 11:11:42 PM

Wow, didn't notice that you made feeling tags for the think command.  I stumbled on it by accident.

Freaking awesome.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've used the think-command a lot, but I would like to know if others can see it, and maybe some tips on when and where it would be smart to use?
rmageddon is the true teachings about the art of dying

Quote from: "Zhaky"I would like to know if others can see it

The output of the 'think' command doesn't echo to the screen like normal talk,say or emotes do so you should feel safe that you aren't broadcasting what you are thinking to the entire tavern.

Quotesome tips on when and where it would be smart to use?

I think:

1. When my character is doing something strange/out of the norm.  This is incase an immortal is watching and wants to know why my elf-hating human is treating an elf so nicely.

2. When I feel like displaying my character's thought-process for either my own or another's benefit.

Quote from: "Zhaky"I've used the think-command a lot, but I would like to know if others can see it, and maybe some tips on when and where it would be smart to use?

Only an immortal who is watching you can see your thoughts. Think is generally used to both give your PC more personality and help yourself get a better feel for it, and to let immortals know how your PC thinks/reacts to things if it isn't visible through actions. You probably don't have to think "Now I'll go to the bazaar" or "I'm hungry", but if you're lying to a person or feel strongly about something someone says to you, it would be a good idea to think. Helps you flesh out your character, and the immortals will know why you're doing what you're doing. Also, it's a good thing to use think and feel to portray your character's emotions and thoughts so that it becomes more of a living being rather than a set of numbers with an sdesc. It's hard to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great thing that will help you and the immortals to give you a better playing experience.
b]YB <3[/b]

I never really used think at the beginning of my Arm days.  It wasn't until I had someone tell me I should think more that it even crossed my mind much.

I had the habit of getting into character and acting it out but keeping everything she/he was thinking to myself. Here I'd be sitting at home and that PC my PC hated walked in and I'd be (mentally, at home) thinking galore, I just wasn't typing it.  It's a tough habit to start, typing what you're thinking but the best advantage of it is to let the staff know where your character is coming from so that if one day you get that asshole alone and kill him you won't have spectators saying "wtf'd he do that for? I never saw anything about how he hated that guy!"

Think  :arrow:  Good
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I still find the required "feeling etc" format stifling when using this command, and my usage is thus limited. I don't like being forced into the same type of sentence over and over again.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"I still find the required "feeling etc" format stifling when using this command, and my usage is thus limited. I don't like being forced into the same type of sentence over and over again.

think (like you gotta take a shit) That asshole, I can't stand him! I wish I could gut him open and take his entra...il..s.... Ohh Krath.. that scrab roll is killing me.

Sorry I couldn't resist!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Oh, I know it's possible to manipulate the language to say whatever you want to say, I just don't like being locked into the same format. I want to be able to do:

think (straining to hear the click of tumblers) Almost... almost...

think (wondering if you heard footsteps down the hall) Crap! What was that. No.. no.. focus..

You pick the lock, or whatever the message is.

think (with a surge of triumph-based adrenaline) Yes! Now I will have Lord Fancypants's fancy pants!

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Oh, I know it's possible to manipulate the language to say whatever you want to say, I just don't like being locked into the same format. I want to be able to do:

think (wondering if you heard footsteps down the hall) Crap! What was that. No.. no.. focus..

think (with a surge of triumph-based adrenaline) Yes! Now I will have Lord Fancypants's fancy pants!

I gotcha, I just couldn't resist the latter.

Maybe they can manipulate it so that () gives you a feeling and [] gives you an emote itself, both present at the front of the think?

Nah, the imms have been pretty clear on the issue. The command is only to be used for what your character is literally feeling.

I just like to complain.

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Try adding actual feelings to it and it'll work:

think (anxiety, straining to hear the click of tumblers) Almost... almost...

think (paranoia, wondering if you heard footsteps down the hall) Crap! What was that.  No.. no.. focus..

think (accomplished, with a surge of trimuph-based adrenaline) Yes! Now I will have Lord Fancypant's fancy pants!
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"Try adding actual feelings to it and it'll work:

think (anxiety, straining to hear the click of tumblers) Almost... almost...

think (paranoia, wondering if you heard footsteps down the hall) Crap! What was that.  No.. no.. focus..

think (accomplished, with a surge of trimuph-based adrenaline) Yes! Now I will have Lord Fancypant's fancy pants!

Oh, I know it's possible to manipulate the language to say whatever you want to say, I just don't like being locked into the same format.

Oh, I know it's possible to manipulate the language to say whatever you want to say, I just don't like being locked into the same format.

Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"The imms have been pretty clear on the issue.

I just like to complain.

Haha. Suckers.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd actually love to see the ability to nest emotes into thinking.  They'd be Hidden Emotes.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Jherlen"Why are we all speaking in quotes?
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Larrath"I'd actually love to see the ability to nest emotes into thinking.  They'd be Hidden Emotes.

If I recall correctly, that's precisely the reason that it's not allowed.  Invisible hidden emotes tucked away in your thinks would be a kind of abuse.  Hemote is for hidden emotes.

If I get Larrath right, what he's saying is:

think (stares at %woman chest) Man, those are nice jugs.

Would get interpreted both as a think AND as an hemote.

Other people would see: (IF they notice your hemote.)
The man stares at the woman's chest.You might see:
The man stares at the woman's chest, thinking:
    "Man, those are nice jugs."

If that's the idea, I actually really like it too.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Jherlen"If I get Larrath right, what he's saying is:

Would get interpreted both as a think AND as an hemote.

Other people would see: (IF they notice your hemote.)
The man stares at the woman's chest.You might see:
The man stares at the woman's chest, thinking:
    "Man, those are nice jugs."

Exactly.
The emote would be a regular hemote and the think would be a regular think.  It's just easier for me to use a think if I'm going to do a tiny hemote movement.

> think (full of lust) [stares at %woman chest] Nice jugs.
The tall, muscular man stares at the woman's chest.
Feeling full of lust, you think: "Nice jugs."

I could possibly work it out from my client-side, but it could be a nice feature for everyone.  The only problem is the grammar, since most people would probably be inclined to do staring instead of stares.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?