Sandstorms suxXors

Started by Jakahri, May 31, 2006, 04:40:43 AM

I hate the accumulation that seems to occur when there hasn't been a reboot for some time. It's as if storms merely intensify exponentially until you cannot even be in the wilds with a ranger.  :roll:
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Lately I've been playing roles that have been affected by the sandstorms, and yeah. It does suck. I have my theories that the storms actually aren't code bugs/side-effects but are completely IC, so I'm using it as an excuse to look for IC fixes, but it's really disheartening. It's easier to just say "screw it, I'm not going to bother logging in instead" but I do think ultimately the game will be more satisfying if I do address it ICly, but it is hard being bothered.

So what's the point of my post? I have a theory that they are IC, I think they should be handled IC (even though it's easy to just pester the Imms instead) and will be trying to handle it ICly. Ask me in a few months time if I still think it's IC and able to be handled ;)

Quote from: "John"Lately I've been playing roles that have been affected by the sandstorms, and yeah. It does suck. I have my theories that the storms actually aren't code bugs/side-effects but are completely IC, so I'm using it as an excuse to look for IC fixes, but it's really disheartening. It's easier to just say "screw it, I'm not going to bother logging in instead"

Sums it up for me pretty much.  Around 4 days straight of terrible/blinding storms spanning multiple zones.

I'd rather a storm incapacitate my character for 5 minutes before rolling on like the Sandstorm in Hidalgo than sit in one spot for over half of a RL week.  It's really frustrating to login, type weather and see the same level of a storm, just from a different direction.

bump.

The same for gale force winds.

Let me guess, same for raiders, defilers, water loss in salt flats and gith? :lol:
There is an IC reason why all those storms and gales are happening. Do you ever type "time"?  :twisted:

...............................................................................................
In the Year of Whira's Reverence, year 27 of the 21st Age.

And this is nothing. If I remember right, with one of my rangers in past I sucked thrice many storms, because it was Whira's Anger. I can repeat myself and safely say what we're experiencing is nothing. *memories*

We all have to suck it up. Be patient, Whira will calm down.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Actually, that wasn't my theory on why we had sandstorms. And I'd rathered come up with it all by myself  :x

Having said that, you could be wrong.

The weather code has had problems for a long time - basically the winds are as still as the sand on reboot, and then they progressively get stronger and stronger, and will perpetually stay that way until next reboot. Sometimes they go down a little, but the wind increases more than it decreases, so you can never get to "still as the sand" again once hitting the tremendous sandstorm levels, even if the wind dies a tiny bit before picking up again. Sands seem to come and go, but the wind is where the problem appears to be.

If there is an IC reason for it, then this IC reason has spanned a couple of RL years and is 100% consistent on every reboot. I find that difficult to believe, but there are always the die-hard faithful out there who believe there are IC answers to every question, and who am I to question faith?

And Cenghiz, I wouldn't be surprised if the original poster interpreted your post as an insult to his/her intelligence, though I'm sure that wasn't your intention and you meant to offer something of value to the thread.

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"And Cenghiz, I wouldn't be surprised if the original poster interpreted your post as an insult to his/her intelligence, though I'm sure that wasn't your intention and you meant to offer something of value to the thread.

No offense taken.

I'm nearly 100% certain that the harsh storms are due to the recent lack of reboots since the new system came into play though. Perhaps it's just in my head, but I seem to notice an exponential rise in storms and their power as the week progresses before finally being "silent" once more upon reboot. Perhaps it's just me.  :shock:

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Jakahri"I hate the accumulation that seems to occur when there hasn't been a reboot for some time. It's as if storms merely intensify exponentially until you cannot even be in the wilds with a ranger.  :roll:

There are other things that can be enjoyable with rangers that do not require the character to be outside.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Navigate Storms as a subclass sK1ll. Desert quit as a subclass sK1ll.

Free us.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"The weather code has had problems for a long time - basically the winds are as still as the sand on reboot, and then they progressively get stronger and stronger, and will perpetually stay that way until next reboot.
Actually I'm fairly certain that this problem was fixed a fair while ago. If you do think it's a bug, e-mail the mud account (perhaps with logs).

Quote from: "Yokunama"There are other things that can be enjoyable with rangers that do not require the character to be outside.

Unless that character lives outside and is not a citizen of the city-states.

No doubt. *flex*

Err.. first, I meant no offense at all.. And the post was sarcastic. It's how my char interprets the situation, I don't know if the reverence of whira can cause such strong winds.

I don't know the real reason of course. It may be magickal, or it may be just a simple bug, or it may really be "Whira's Reverence".

Note: When I use smilies, I'm never serious.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

There was a tremendous sandstorm in the ranch (and not outside it) near Allanak for like two weeks, non-stop.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"There was a tremendous sandstorm in the ranch (and not outside it) near Allanak for like two weeks, non-stop.
Did you bug it or mudmail it?

Bugged it.
b]YB <3[/b]

QuoteActually I'm fairly certain that this problem was fixed a fair while ago. If you do think it's a bug, e-mail the mud account (perhaps with logs).

What do you base this off of?

Please reply with source if at all possible.

Quote from: "Kalden"What do you base this off of?

Please reply with source if at all possible.
Why do I think it was fixed? I can't remember, it was a fair while ago I thought an Imm said they'd fixed it. As for the bugging/mud-mailing, that was Xygax's response here. It seems like he's saying "yeah, OOC-day long storms are suppose to happen. Let us know if you think it shouldn't be happening."