Archery

Started by desert_spider_eater, May 29, 2006, 02:43:13 PM

Dunno if this has been suggested before, but what about making mobs flee after being hit by an arrow (or even startled by a missed shot) to any 3 rooms that are not from the direction of the shot?

Just to add to the realism, I guess.
If I eat food there wont be any room for Marduk, slayer of Tiamat!"

I like it.  I always felt silly when trying to roleplay out hunting and stalking a dumb NPC.

You have to keep in mind the size of outdoor rooms. The npcs aren't actually just standing there in one place just because they are the the same room. They are moving around -within- that space covered by the room.
That said, I think it would be cool if they fled to another room after being hit -some- of the time but not -all- of the time.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

One shot/one flee might be a bit much, but I definitely do like the idea of NPCs running sometimes.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "jhunter"You have to keep in mind the size of outdoor rooms. The npcs aren't actually just standing there in one place just because they are the the same room. They are moving around -within- that space covered by the room.
That said, I think it would be cool if they fled to another room after being hit -some- of the time but not -all- of the time.

When you enter one of these huge rooms, they flee. What is the difference here? NPCs seem like targets this way. Last time I killed NPC with Arrows, it only took three shots and they never moved *read Targets*. I'd love for this to go in.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Quote from: "jhunter"You have to keep in mind the size of outdoor rooms. The npcs aren't actually just standing there in one place just because they are the the same room. They are moving around -within- that space covered by the room.

When you enter one of these huge rooms, they flee. What is the difference here? NPCs seem like targets this way. Last time I killed NPC with Arrows, it only took three shots and they never moved *read Targets*. I'd love for this to go in.

I don't think that's entirely realistic given the size of the rooms. I think they should only flee to a room when you enter some of the time in those situations.
It's unrealistic that they flee that distance every time.
"Dumbass." - Red Foreman

Quote from: "Arabian Nights"
I think they should only flee to a room when you enter some of the time in those situations as well.
It's unrealistic that they flee that distance every time.

One thing that needs to be taken into consideration here (just for what Arabian Nights said, not the original poster) is that most time when someone walks into a room with an animal in it, their intent is to kill it. To kill an animal, you must go near it. If you go near an animal, they will run away.

I think that's why flee is the way it is now.

As for the idea about archery making animals flee, well, I think it's sort of realistic, though I think Jhunter (I'm fairly sure it was you) has a point about the distances being big. I do think the idea is realistic, and wouldn't mind animals ocasionally running.

I wouldn't want one shot = one flee, though. Too jarring for me.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I'd like to see animals potentially run away (or run at the shooter) if fired at with arrows.  Perhaps very minor hits won't trigger an escape, but an arrow through the body certainly would.
Missed arrows I'm less sure about, since it's possible you shot the arrow far away from them.  Plus, it might scare too many critters.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think any arrow should cause them to flee, if they can. So an arrow to the chest might stop it from running its ass off, but an arrow to the leg or hand, might send them running for dear life.

I don't think they'd run away and stay in the same room. They just got fucking attacked with an arrow, I would just run to a new bush and stop. I'd get the fuck out of there. Whichever way I could.

Personally, I think it should be damn near impossible to hit a lizard with a longbow, or a warbow.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I think any arrow should cause them to flee, if they can. So an arrow to the chest might stop it from running its ass off, but an arrow to the leg or hand, might send them running for dear life.

I don't think they'd run away and stay in the same room. They just got fucking attacked with an arrow, I would just run to a new bush and stop. I'd get the fuck out of there. Whichever way I could.

Personally, I think it should be damn near impossible to hit a lizard with a longbow, or a warbow.

To play Devil's Advocate.

1. What about NPCs that guard something.
2. Um... that's about it. I sort of like it since it will make for more interesting hunter rp (the sneak hide thing already has created a ton of fun for me)

Well, if you have angry NPCs like Carrus and they can see you, they might chase you and beat your ass or they might run to a safe haven.
If you have insta-flee NPCs, they'll insta flee.
If you have Guard NPCs, then they'll do whatever, they might even continue guarding you.

Quote from: "desert_spider_eater"Dunno if this has been suggested before, but what about making mobs flee after being hit by an arrow (or even startled by a missed shot) to any 3 rooms that are not from the direction of the shot?

I wouldn't rule out running in the direction the shot came from.  With just one arrow they might not know for certain which direction the arrow came from.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Quote from: "desert_spider_eater"Dunno if this has been suggested before, but what about making mobs flee after being hit by an arrow (or even startled by a missed shot) to any 3 rooms that are not from the direction of the shot?

I wouldn't rule out running in the direction the shot came from.  With just one arrow they might not know for certain which direction the arrow came from.  

Angela Christine

I had considered that, but defaulted to the idea that the kind of animals that were running from an arrow would take off again at encountering a potential threat.  It just made things easier.  As for what I've seen, I agree also that one shot per flee would not only be jarring, but a huge drain of stamina and patience.
If I eat food there wont be any room for Marduk, slayer of Tiamat!"

Quote from: "desert_spider_eater"
Quote from: "Angela Christine"I wouldn't rule out running in the direction the shot came from.  With just one arrow they might not know for certain which direction the arrow came from.
I had considered that, but defaulted to the idea that the kind of animals that were running from an arrow would take off again at encountering a potential threat.  It just made things easier.  As for what I've seen, I agree also that one shot per flee would not only be jarring, but a huge drain of stamina and patience.
I think there should be some chance of running towards the shooter: otherwise, people will use it as a foolproof herding device.  :o

Quote from: "Delirium"I like it.  I always felt silly when trying to roleplay out hunting and stalking a dumb NPC.

Yeah, I've always just avoided it.  I feel weird enough shooting a ritikki that just sits there.

Yeah. That would be fun. Stamina loss for shooting plus stamina loss for running after the npc. Lets abandon realism for a moment and take up the gauntlets of playability?
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

It'd be more fun than it currently is. It should be more than hunting an unmoving target.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"It'd be more fun than it currently is. It should be more than hunting an unmoving target.

The stamina loss at this moment is currently unrealistic.

Coupling that with the sudden addition that npcs can now flee into other rooms is merely another detriment to the growing problem with archery.

Desert elves might as well hang up their bows if this is implemented. Losing twice as much stamina out of your mvs pool to shoot, then chase down the animal to shoot it again is just silly in my humble opinion. Let's not hurt certain guilds and races anymore please.

Quote from: "Anarchy"Yeah. That would be fun. Stamina loss for shooting plus stamina loss for running after the npc. Lets abandon realism for a moment and take up the gauntlets of playability?

*nods sagely*
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Personally, I think it should be damn near impossible to hit a lizard with a longbow, or a warbow.

Not when that lizard is the size of a small house, my friend.

These aren't geckos or grass lizards in Zalanthas. We're talking about rather large lizards (sunbacks, inix, etc) that can support the weight of a half-giant. Doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult to hit to me if it were that large.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

How about a small cumulative penalty to archery for each shot? Would be a way to realistically portray the target starting to move after the first shot, and it would only seriously detriment those.. people (won't use the T-word) who shoot the same target 20 times. Just a spontaneous idea.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"How about a small cumulative penalty to archery for each shot? Would be a way to realistically portray the target starting to move after the first shot, and it would only seriously detriment those.. people (won't use the T-word) who shoot the same target 20 times. Just a spontaneous idea.

This isn't so bad either.  As it stands now I'd just like *something* to be done which makes shooting at that gith with your arrow more than once a viable thing to do within the bounds of proper play.

Dude, sweet idea, if you implement it in the effect that they only sometimes flee.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

As a PC, when you get shot at with an arrow, and you don't know where it is coming from, do you usually just stand there (without a shield)?
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

If I am walking south and I get hit in the front of the leg, I'll turn my ass and run away from the arrow.

It isn't hard to tell from which direction you got hit, unless it knocked you down.

Cumulative difficulty would be nice. Or the animals could watch you, since I think archery is affected by watch.

Not all lizards ig are as big as a house either. Longbows should be damned hard to use to hit a little lizard or a hawk.

but that would introduce weapon type vs target type, which while realistic, would be a whole bugger of coding, and certainly not a quick fix. (btw, if longbows get a disadvantage here, shortbows and slings should get bonus)

of course, if we introduce all that, we should go all the way with it and have chopping and slicing and mashing have appropriate + and - versus armor type.