Tools

Started by Twilight, May 24, 2006, 03:26:20 PM

As I understand it, currently some tools will help with crafting.  These tools are linked to a crafting skill.  For some things, this makes sense.  If you are making a lock, a lock making machine sounds like the thing to use.  However, there are some tools that seem more aligned to using on a material, rather than just a specific craft.

What would people think of redoing tools to fall into two types.  The first type would help with a specific craft, and give a fair (although a range depending on quality of tool) bonus.  The second type would help with a specific material, and give a bonus no matter what craft you were using, but the bonus would be smaller.  So you could have a tool for jewelry-making.  But you could also just use a tool specifically for bone, or for stone, that would work whether making jewelry or stonecrafts or weapons.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

It might be good if you could assess the tools and if they affect a crafting skill you have the tool assessment would state: "You think you could use this for jewelery making" like when you assess weapons.
ho hates posting? I do! I do!

I thought it already does?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think you can do that already. I seem to recall seeing a message like "This would be useful for clothworking." or something like that.

As far as the original idea, I think it's pretty badass.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Resurrect"It might be good if you could assess the tools and if they affect a crafting skill you have the tool assessment would state: "You think you could use this for jewelery making" like when you assess weapons.

They already do, but they're not always so obvious. You might see a tool with "this would be useful for smoothing and polishing", which doesn't instantly tell you exactly what it's for.
b]YB <3[/b]

You can currently assess a tool to determine what it would be good for, even if you dont have the skill it is good for it will still tell you what it is good for. This dosent apply to every tool, I dont know if it just hasnt been put in for all tools or if there is some reason why certain tools give you nothing when you assess them, I think it just isnt top priority and so all of the tools havent been added to be "assessable".

But this brings up another issue I have......There are ALOT of tools that can currently be made with skills other than the TOOLMAKING skill....I am sure there is a reason for it....But when a tinker cant make certain tools and a stone crafter is making chisels and hammers like crazy, it get to be a pain in the arse, and there are numerous tools that fall into this category. Again, I think this is probably just low priorty and so alot of items that are tools havent been taken away from crafting skills and put into the Toolmaking skill. It dosent even really need to be taken away from other crafting skills...Just add the ability to make the tools to Toolmaking, where they should be anyways.

Quote from: "Resurrect"It might be good if you could assess the tools and if they affect a crafting skill you have the tool assessment would state: "You think you could use this for jewelery making" like when you assess weapons.
It does. Another way to determine if it helps is try to craft some raw material. Then wear/wield the crafting item. If you can make more things, it helps with the craft. This isn't full proof though.

Hmmmm.

sjanimal, carnage, lauramars.. Moofassa... Tamarin.. possibly even Rhyden. All tools.
your mother is an elf.