Nobles and Spice

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, May 22, 2006, 01:44:03 AM

I know that Allanaki nobles are exempt from most of the laws of the city-state, so they could easily order the assassination of some shmuck, or kick a beggar, with no questions asked. But what about spice?
Will the templarate turn a blind eye if a noble is caught with it? Are they allowed to smoke it in their estates? In public areas? Can they walk up to a black robe and blow smoke in their face?
Just trying to find where the line is.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I know that Allanaki nobles are exempt from most of the laws of the city-state, so they could easily order the execution of some shmuck with no questions asked.
Depends who the schmuck is.
QuoteBut what about spice?
Will the templarate turn a blind eye if a noble is caught with it?
Yes, almost always I'd imagine.
QuoteAre they allowed to smoke it in their estates?
Yes definitely.
QuoteIn public areas?
Depends on rank. Junior nobles lighting up in public might get asked not to. It sets a bad example for the peasants if all nobles go around doing that. Senior nobles on the other hand can do just about whatever they want.
QuoteCan they walk up to a black robe and blow smoke in their face?
Sure. If they don't mind being vaporised into smoke themselves.  :shock:

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I know that Allanaki nobles are exempt from most of the laws of the city-state, so they could easily order the assassination of some shmuck, or kick a beggar, with no questions asked. But what about spice?
Will the templarate turn a blind eye if a noble is caught with it? Are they allowed to smoke it in their estates? In public areas?
Yes to everything.  Legally, a noble can go as far as kill a commoner that annoys him too much, sometimes with no legal results.  Though if the Templarate disagrees they could get fines issued to them or to their Houses, they're just exempt from prison time.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Can they walk up to a black robe and blow smoke in their face?
You mean, if a black-robed templar turns a noble into a puff of smoke, can the smoke blow into the templar's face?
No.  If they do, the templar will kill them again.

More seriously, a noble can most likely share spice with a blue-robed templar, but a noble will be very wise to never appear as though he was mocking the laws of Tektolnes and his senior templars.  Allanaki nobles are exempt from most Allanaki laws, but they're not exempt from the global Zalanthan law - "you will not live long if you're stupid".
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

In regards to the spice smoking and blowing it in a black-robes face.

Think about what would be respectful.

A junior noble and a blue robe templar having a meeting, and the junior noble pulls out a little bit of spice and continues conversation, like it's no big deal?  Probably not a big deal.

A junior noble doing the same in front of a red or black robe?  Insinuates a casual meeting, not that respectful.

A senior noble or senator could likely be a little more comfortable around a black.  But in all cases...they'd be sure to be respectful.  Nobles are exempt from the laws...they aren't 'getting away with it'.  They have priveleges, but those priveleges are not to be used to piss off a templar.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

And just to add...

I mean a -little- more comfortable around a black (in regards to seniors).  Keep in mind that black robes -are- the highest in the social hierarchy of the city.  However...if they were actually socializing (i.e. In a situation where a noble would -want- to smoke spice...I don't imagine a noble wanting to be high while talking important business with the voice of Tektolnes himself), then I don't think the Black would mind much.

Once again...the nobility know...it's respectful.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"They have priveleges, but those priveleges are not to be used to piss off a templar.
Well, they can be. Nobles and templars both have priveleges. They can be used to piss off someone of the other sort, but you better be powerful enough to get away with it.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I know that Allanaki nobles are exempt from most of the laws of the city-state, so they could easily order the assassination of some shmuck, or kick a beggar, with no questions asked.

Hmm, I would be careful about over-estimating the power of a random noble.  Immunity to the law doesn't mean immunity to consequences.

It is like diplomatic immunity in real life.  Except in lousy movies, you don't see ambassadors going around killing people despite the fact that they have diplomatic immunity.  Because when an ambassador is a very bad boy he can't just drop his gun, say "Diplomatic immunity," smirk and go on with his day.  He gets sent home to his own country, where he does not have diplomatic immunity, and usually his home country does punish him for the bad things he did.

Likewise, when a noble kills a commoner the militia don't run in and drag him off to jail or throw him in the arena, but he doesn't necessarily get off scotfree either.  News gets around.  Someone will tell his superiors, and those superiors will probably want to talk to him about it.  She may hear the story and high five the noble for doing a kickass job, or she may think the noble has been a jackass and slap his wrist.  She might even revoke some of his privileges, such as the privilege of leaving the estate, or the privilege of leaving his room.  Being locked up in the attic for the rest of your life is a classic way for nobility to deal with embarrassing relatives.  They might even decide a little re-education in the dungeon is in order.  

What happens in the estate stays in the estate.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Just to clarify, "some random shmuck" doesn't exactly imply "Senior Merchant Amos" or "secret Guild overlord Malik". Trust me, I get that a noble going around h@xx0r1ng n00bs is going to be real dead, real soon. And I was definetly being facetious with the "blowing smoke in a black robe's face" thing.
A better way to ask it would've been: "Can your average PC noble smoke in the presence of the templarate without any real consequences?"
Thanks for the responses so far.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"A better way to ask it would've been: "Can your average PC noble smoke in the presence of the templarate without any real consequences?"
Normally, yes. However a templar of senior position should initiate it. And you occassionally get the rare templar who actually dislikes spice. The consequence of that will range from him thinking you have a bad habit, to him actively seeking to bring you down (but then again, he'd be doing so to most nobles, so you probably don't have much to fear). Another consequence from any Templar could be, they now know what spice you like to smoke. You might even be addicted to it. That's leverage they can use.

So yeah, you won't get jailed or fined or anything. But everything a noble does in public can have consequences.

I don't know.. A junior noble would probably shit themselves if a black robe was staring at them face to face. I know I would.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

-Anyone- who is not a Black Robed Templar would always be pretty terrified in the presence of one.  That includes Red Robe Templars, Senior Nobles, Senators...etc.

A Junior Noble would be wise to prostrate themselves in the presence of a Black Robe.  To a Black Robed Templar, a Junior Noble is no more important then a pebble they might trod upon in passing.  Likewise, a Blue Robed templar would probably both envy and fear the Black Robe - wishing they could wield that kind of power and knowing that they could be *insert horrible, instant death here* on a whim without any consequence at all to the Black.

Most nobles and Blue Robed Templars should also fear Red Robed Templars as well.  Red Robed Templars are rare and wield extreme power while having few influences they must answer to.  I've noticed Junior nobles who don't bow to Red Robes - and often wondered if they understood just how much they are risking by failing to show proper respect to the Red.

As to the questions about spice, Ale Six got the answers correct.  Nobles do not have to obey the laws of the city, but most Junior Nobles would not dare to smoke in public, just because of the ruckus it might cause.  Senior Nobles routinely smoke spice where and whenever they want to.  Of course, they also tend to dump more cash in Templarate pockets then most commoners can imagine existing.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Quote from: "Naiona"-Anyone- who is not a Black Robed Templar would always be pretty terrified in the presence of one.  That includes Red Robe Templars, Senior Nobles, Senators...etc.

A Junior Noble would be wise to prostrate themselves in the presence of a Black Robe.  To a Black Robed Templar, a Junior Noble is no more important then a pebble they might trod upon in passing.  Likewise, a Blue Robed templar would probably both envy and fear the Black Robe - wishing they could wield that kind of power and knowing that they could be *insert horrible, instant death here* on a whim without any consequence at all to the Black.

Most nobles and Blue Robed Templars should also fear Red Robed Templars as well.  Red Robed Templars are rare and wield extreme power while having few influences they must answer to.  I've noticed Junior nobles who don't bow to Red Robes - and often wondered if they understood just how much they are risking by failing to show proper respect to the Red.

As to the questions about spice, Ale Six got the answers correct.  Nobles do not have to obey the laws of the city, but most Junior Nobles would not dare to smoke in public, just because of the ruckus it might cause.  Senior Nobles routinely smoke spice where and whenever they want to.  Of course, they also tend to dump more cash in Templarate pockets then most commoners can imagine existing.

"Common knowledge for southerners" help file in the making.
Amor Fati