Sandstorms and Teeth

Started by Larrath, May 13, 2006, 04:07:54 PM

Should sandstorms be made less frequent but more deadly?

Yes
28 (51.9%)
No
21 (38.9%)
I play in Tuluk.  What's a sandstorm?  (No opinion)
5 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: August 11, 2006, 04:07:54 PM

I really tend to get upset when I think about Zalanthas' sandstorms and the way they're treated by most of the playerbase.  These sandstorms are lethal, they're not just annoying.  As nice as thick sandcloth can get, I don't think it's enough to really protect someone from a full-on sandstorm, either.
It would be similar to fighting a mekillot in thin hide armor as opposed to fighting it naked.

I'd like to bring these two changes for discussion:

1. All sandstorms in all locations in the game will be cut down by half in frequency and last for shorter periods of time, especially in the higher levels.

2. Sandstorms will deal damage on a per-time basis (as with a combat round).  Desert_Hide could be used to look for shelter against the storm, which would lessen the damage.
1st level sandstorms (blowing sand scattering) would deal no damage.
2nd level storms (stinging sand) would deal 1 or 2 damage every 10-15 RL seconds.
3rd level sandstorms (harsh, biting storms) would deal 3-5 damage every 10-15 seconds.
More powerful sandstorms could deal up to 10 damage every 10-15 seconds.

This can be coupled with more ways to protect oneself from a sandstorm, in addition to Desert_Hide.  Magickers and templars could get a suitable spell, and mundane PCs could have more things to cower around in the open, such as cacti.  Maybe PCs could even do that thing where you bury yourself in the sand until the storm flows over or what-not, which would take Stamina and induce thirst but negate the damage.

Opinions?
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

zalanthan sandstorms should reflect those humongo grandmother of all storms from Dune.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

No no no. Dune's environment is completely different and the ecological erosion is much more prevailent than on Zalanthas. For playability and realism reasons, it would be silly to make common storms deal damage. Maybe the HIGHEST levels of storms in the deep desert would deal damage, but certainly not enough to kill you within a minute. Those sandstorms that run through modern day deserts won't kill you (unless it's one of the worst in history and you're completely exposed... naked.), that's for sure.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I don't like the idea of dying from a sandstorm. Especially since they often render you unable to do anything else.

Perhaps stun damage?
b]YB <3[/b]

man, I thought it was called Armageddon for a reason. it's a dead world, isn't it?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Not nearly as dead as Dune. There's a fucking forest after all.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Quote from: "Cegar"Those sandstorms that run through modern day deserts won't kill you.
A strong sandstorm in an Earth desert can kill you, either by suffocation/filling your throat with sand or by ripping the flesh off of your bones.  Ever see a building get sandblasted by cleaners?
Sandstorms are a lot of tiny grains of sand flying at a huge velocity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0_mX6EeOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25DDGaIrbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CcQbVFNxk

Zalanthas gets worse sandstorms and usually faster winds.

Anyway, under 10 hp per 10-15 seconds (as a guideline, mind you) probably isn't enough to kill someone in a minute.  In practice, I think it would just make people hurry back and/or be more cautious about riding out during or into a sandstorm.
Of course, this would also need a better weather system to let people predict when a sandstorm is brewing.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I would like to see something along the lines of actually needing to shield yourself from the storm or take some kind of penalty. The 'hiding' to find cover from the storm sounds pretty cool and allows alot of playability. Maybe even take a step further and allow rangers to have an ability to sense sandstorms before they come. Making their use as guides all the more useful.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I hope you don't want sandstorms to damage you inside cities, too. We're just talking about the deserts, right?

Going idle or dropping link in a storm would suck, if they started damaging you. Maybe linkdead/idle people coule be immune after a certain amount of time.

I think that items like cloaks (if the hood is up) and facewraps should protect against this, somewhat.

All in all, I'm neutral.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Larrath"
Quote from: "Cegar"Those sandstorms that run through modern day deserts won't kill you.
A strong sandstorm in an Earth desert can kill you, either by suffocation/filling your throat with sand or by ripping the flesh off of your bones.  Ever see a building get sandblasted by cleaners?
Sandstorms are a lot of tiny grains of sand flying at a huge velocity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0_mX6EeOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25DDGaIrbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CcQbVFNxk

Not to get combatative, but of course they can cause damage if you're bare in a desert. I noted that. However, generally, even the bad desert sandstorms won't seriously damage a person (one who is in the proper attire). The sandstorms in Zalanthas aren't the sandstorms of Dune. The sandstorms of Dune blew for hundreds of kilometers with winds well over the speeds of even the worst of the Zalanthan storms.

My primary concern is that this would effectively screw non-rangers even harder. If a poor non-ranger did get stuck in a nasty storm, they'd be left stumbling around and losing their bearings while the storm ripped them to pieces, when a ranger guild could just walk out of it like it was nothing.

Other than being a little hesitant to give rangers even more advantages, I have nothing against seeing sandstorms made scarier. Especially if they're less frequent.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Not until..

> weather north
Far away to the north, a large sandstorm rips the land as it moves south.

> think SHIT!
>run
>sss

Anyway.. it could also be..

> weather north
Very far off, a massive sandstorm rips through the land as it moves eastward.

>think Whew.. safe.

And then when typing "weather"

You'd see

Very far off, a massive sandstorm rips through the land.
It wouldn't tell you which direction it was going.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

In open desert only, not in cities.

And yes, I agree the change would need some modification to the Weather system in order to be effective.

About screwing non-rangers, I really think rangers would be screwed just as badly by it.  Getting lost in a deadly sandstorm is realistic to me, but maybe it's not much of a good idea for playability.  Hmm.

The current weather system is good enough for this to be implemented. It just doesn't tell you straight out there's a sandstorm approaching, it notifies you in other ways.

For the thing about making the ranger guild more stronger than it is, I would only think it would make the guild more accurate. Those not familiar with the ways of the desert shouldn't be able to handle themselves out there in the harshest of weathers or for long durations of time. Perhaps giving certain subguild the similar benefits that the ranger guild has would even this out, but I wouldn't mind it being harder to survive in sandstorms.

That said, having sandstorms occur at less frequency just because it can cause potential damage shouldn't happen. The majority of Zalanthas -is- a desert, and those parts that aren't still aren't the most vegitative places. Instead of taking damage, I wouldn't mind having stun loss instead. With the worst sandstorms, you're stun may drop at a decent rate, but for the average sandstorm you would still be able to notice the effects of the storm without suffering too much. Either that or give greater endurance penalties for moving through the storm.

I'm sorry when was the last time you were caught in a sandstorm?  They're pretty scary with the newer sandstorm code in.  Yeah.. Really scary.  I'm not going to say just what they do, but I've been afraid for my chars life on more than one occasoin for being caught in one.

Cegar, as someone who has first handedly experienced a southwestern sandstorm in the US (which, granted, is nothing in comparison to arabian sandstorms or zalanthan sandstorms), I can tell you with absolute truth that the fuckers hurt.

I was in one for maybe five minutes before I could no longer breath, and if I had not gotten in to the car, I have no doubt that it would have gotten much, much worse.  My skin stung for days afterwards where it was exposed.

This, I would like to reiterate, is a southwestern US sandstorm.  Not a serious, massive painfest of zalanthan proportions.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Were you wearing a thick cloak, gloves, a facewrap and deep hood? :)

Seriously though, no doubt sandstorms are rough, but Zalanthans would be used to it much more so than you. I'm not sure how this would work in regards to NPCs too - wouldn't they kinda die? I'd hate to walk outside after a bad storm and see NPC bodies all over the place as if it was the 'rinth.

I still say that stun damage would be better. A non-ranger getting caught outside in a sandstorm would mean certain death unless he somehow found shelter (without being able to move and see) or if the sandstorm didn't last long enough for him to die.
b]YB <3[/b]

The only way to make sandstorms more than a lame nuisance is to make them outright deadly.

Which is to say, to go from bad to worse.

Get rid of them altogether, I say, feh.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

1st level sandstorms (blowing sand scattering) would deal no damage.
2nd level storms (stinging sand) would deal 1 or 2 damage every 10-15 RL seconds.
3rd level sandstorms (harsh, biting storms) would deal 3-5 damage every 10-15 seconds.
More powerful sandstorms could deal up to 10 damage every 10-15 seconds.

Seconds! I'd spamwalk my ass right out of that storm. The storms would kill every NPC in the area. And that would suck.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Do words in parenthesis not show up on the forum or what?

Quote from: "Larrath"A strong sandstorm in an Earth desert can kill you, either by suffocation/filling your throat with sand or by ripping the flesh off of your bones.

BS.  Show me -one- documented incident of someone dying directly as of the result of a sandstorm, other than car wrecks.  Dramatic looking pictures do not equate to death, just discomfort.

I would rather see -effective- room echo's when there is a harsh sandstorm rolling through.  Death due to code, especially when movement is severly impacted already is not cool.  This would also effectively kill off many people being in the wilds. Making it even harder to raid or even get any interaction in the sands.  It may sound cool, but the playablity factor is not real great.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I have no opinion on this because I am still weighing the pros and cons of some suggestions. Would like to add though that I would hate to lose link (I play on my laptop and the wireless loses packets sometimes which is a bane to telnet type apps) and die in the desert because I was taking some dmg. Right now they are pretty scary to none rangers.

I have within the last two weeks had a character 4 rooms from the eastern gates of 'nak actually end up falling off the shield wall because the storm just wouldn't let them back. So they can still be quite deadly.

I can see the rp potential in going around storms and what not. What about my ranger who quits out in the desert though and logs in during a tremendous storm. Again that would be a very very bad way to die and would happen quite frequently.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "amoeba"
Quote from: "Larrath"A strong sandstorm in an Earth desert can kill you, either by suffocation/filling your throat with sand or by ripping the flesh off of your bones.

BS.  Show me -one- documented incident of someone dying directly as of the result of a sandstorm, other than car wrecks.  Dramatic looking pictures do not equate to death, just discomfort.
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20040329/022673.html
The above link addresses a sandstorm in China, in an article covered by the Washington Times.  3,000 cows were killed by a sandstorm, and I imagine that if a sandstorm can kill something as robust as an ox, it can kill a human wearing some thick cloths, too.

I would rather see -effective- room echo's when there is a harsh sandstorm rolling through.  Death due to code, especially when movement is severly impacted already is not cool.  This would also effectively kill off many people being in the wilds. Making it even harder to raid or even get any interaction in the sands.  It may sound cool, but the playablity factor is not real great.
Point taken.

Carry on with the discussion everyone, and keep it civil.  Woohoo.

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20040329/022673.html
The above link addresses a sandstorm in China, in an article covered by the Washington Times.  3,000 cows were killed by a sandstorm, and I imagine that if a sandstorm can kill something as robust as an ox, it can kill a human wearing some thick cloths, too.

Bear with me for being the sceptic, but the story is not there, the link to the full story is dead.  Considering the -paragraph- stated the temeperatures were below freezing, the deaths were probably not the result of death by sandblasting.  I don't mind the discussion, but I prefer seeing statements made with hard facts rather than conjecture.

This point notwithstanding, conditions on Zalathous would be different.  Still playablity is more importiant than quasi-reality.  Give some nice dramatic echos to remind us what is going on and let roleplay flesh out the rest.
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]

I hate x-ref, so, I'll just dupe.

I don't like the idea of making sandstorms in the game lethal simply because of the following:

1) you force rangers who are stuck in them to logout and not play the game in order to survive

2) the code does not give realistic OOC notice enough for people to avoid sandstorms or get someplace safe before they hit

3) There are numerous problems with detecting where/when a sandstorm is raging.

I would, however, suggest that attempting to -move- during a sandstorm should cause damage to give people some form of pretense that they had the means to hunker down somehow and survive it out.  Or maybe link the ability to not get screwed in a storm to some type of object, be it clothing, a mount type, or a tent - However, this type of item needs to be more available to travelling types who may have survival skills but not a lot of 'sid - or else nomadic types and travelling types become unplayable in their entirety.

Actually, I would like to learn more about sandstorms before I make a decision.  I have a friend from Pakistan, and he was telling me they have sandstorms once a year that just turn the sky tan and don't really do anything but make it impossible to see in front of you.  Now I'm sure some sandstorms can be really, really, bad, but I've absolutely no idea how bad because I've never been in one.  For this reason, I can't really say much about sandstorms altogether.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Ok, I did a little research on sandstorms, and I think they should be less frequent and more harsh because that seems to be how they are found more commonly in nature, but I'm not sure I like this idea of loosing health from them.  Maybe a little stamina.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Ok, so this thread's got me wondering how strong is a fierce wind?  How strong on the winds on zalanthas?  We know it gets up to 150 degrees or more, but how fast are the winds.  I need to know this before I can say if the storms would be destructive.  It seems like if the winds aren't too bad the sandstorm doesn't do much.  It's only when the winds are hurricane harsh that we're talking about serious danger.  I think I wouldn't mind dangerous sandstorms as long as they were about once every two years or something like that.

Edit: by the looks of some of these pics, sands storms can block out the sun completely.  That would be cool to have happen IG.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

If some factor like a sandstorm is going to deal out damage, I would like to see some
manner of prevention possible.  Sandcloth should be sufficient, imo.  That would be
the only way I could see this being feasible for playability concerns.

Veils and masks could become useful as face covering.  Dab some water onto your
face covering and make a natural filter.  I've always rped this being near the silt.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Intrepid"Veils and masks could become useful as face covering.  Dab some water onto your face covering and make a natural filter.  I've always rped this being near the silt.

Dude, if you did this in real life you would be very dissapointed.  Sand and water = mud. A mud covered mask is not the most fun.  I've lived in the desert southwest most of my 40+ years. I've been through many a sandstorm, even a couple of the rolling types like in that video that gets so much notice. I've seen a lot of misconceptions in these threads.

The biggest threat of a sandstorm is that you can't see shit.  Think of a thick brown gritty fog. You can see a few feet in front of you, but thats about it. We see stories of accidents along I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson ocasionally because some idiot couldn't see, so they just stopped alongside the road, and left their lights on. People tend to follow the car in front of them, and pile into it.

Does a fierce sandstorm hurt. Yes a little, in bursts. Take a handful of sand and fling it at someone's bare arm. it feels like that. But I have never seen pebbles going along for the ride. I have however seen people emote small pebbles being thrown with the winds.  I certainly hope you emote you being knocked to your feet if the wind is strong enough to throw pebbles in the air.  I could see them skitter along the ground, but blown into the air?

I don't mind fantasy wind storms, with their own set of rules, but I find it silly when people try to exagerate the effects of earth storms to bolster a fantasy world arguement.
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]

I'd like to see something along the lines of real damage for staying in the storm for an extended period. I echo whoever said adding code to let people know more when a storm is going to hit, and I'd like to add, while I do want to see damage dealt, I'd rather there be an extended time before it actually starts dealing it. 30 seconds, a minute, whatever. Enough time for someone to know they need to move their ass or shelter down, or risk a boo-boo too big for a band-aid.

Someone said it'd force rangers who logged out in the desert to have to stay logged out, but with the suggestion of desert_hide countering the storm because they're actively taking shelter, you could add on that the desert sneak would allow them to move through the storm, albiet slowly. Neither do I think it'd kill all the NPC's. Because, frankly, animals are smart. They sense an earthquake and take to their heels before we ever realize what's going on. I imagine they're smart enough to get out of the sandstorms, too!

And saying that sandcloth should be enough for those people who don't want damage, I think instead it should encourage more people to buy and carry a tent for their group of travelers. Sandstorm's coming? Throw that tent up and get the *bleep* inside. Yes, I do realize if your clothing isn't likely to hold up against those harsh winds and blasting sand, then a cloth tent realisticly shouldn't either.. But I like the idea of being able to weather the storm inside a shaking, sagging tent better than everybody just spam-walking to the nearest city/outpost/cave each time the wind starts picking up.

And I agree with the other suggestion about making these SUPER HARSH storms less frequent and/or shorter in duration. Few months ago, I took two steps from the gate, sadly forgetting to do a weather check as the weather AT the gate wasn't HORRIDly bad, and got smacked with a wicked storm and couldn't make it back. Ended up sitting at my computer, for around 4 hours, with my non-ranger PC stuck in a blasting sandstorm, emoting behing hunkered down behind an erdlu while waiting for it to pass. I even wished up because it was 5 am, I was exhausted and needed sleep.. No IMM was available, I waited it out until the storm cleared enough to grope back to the gate, got in, logged out.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

So - there's sand lying around on the ground. that's a bit like snow, right? I've been in a nasty blizzard storm with speeds abotu 120 km/h at high elevation, it hurts exposed skin, yes. It stings and maybe you'll get some frostbite.

with a sadnstorm, it wouldn't be so much different - just that sand is a bit more unlikely to get blown up like that, because it's heavier and doesn't usually fall down from above in the first place.

The reason I see why cattle might die in a sandstorm - they breathe in the sand and destroys their lungs. Easy fix for that? Cover yur ose and mouth. Every zalanthaian would be abale to do that unless they're completely stripped naked. Sand is a bit abrasive to the skin, sure - easy fix? Cover that, too.

So I really don't see why a sandstorm should deal out enough damage to kill someone within five minutes - zalanthans should be able to protect themselves that much. A little damage? Maybe, but not enough to kill or anything like it. We want this game to remain playable, and the risk of something nasty jumping you because you can't see your own hand in tat storm is already bad enough. Dying to stupid stuff like that sucks.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Nao, there is one flaw in your logic...sand DOES get flung about like it does in a snowstorm, only faster because it takes more wind to get it off the ground.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I said it would be a bit harder to fling it about - heavier grains, thus a bit more unpleasant - still, basically it should be similar.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Flying sand still isn't the same as getting struck in the arm with a club, or surviving a fall from a cliff. It'll be more of a stun than actual damage, and you still recover stun without having to rest. It'll make it more difficult to fully concentrate while getting blasted with sand.  :wink:

So make sandcloth, or thicker wrappings protect you.  I'd love for that, plus the rope-typing addition to allow for tribals to 'give back to Ruk' by tying a naked humanoid out in the path of a sandstorm.

I vote, very much, for pain/death for an uncovered person out in a storm.

As it stands, I could run my PC naked back and forth through the most blinding sandstorm ever, if I happen to have chosen the Ranger class.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I think there are a couple of key points people are missing in this thread.  It does not fundamentally matter what "happens on earth" or even "what is realistic" because Armageddon is a fantasy theme that is not based on actual historical events, characters, or settings.  The sky's really the limit, here, as long as it makes the game (that's right! I called Armageddon a game!) fun to play.

Let's stop for a second and analyze a few things.

1) Why are sandstorms in the game?
2) How would changing them make the game more fun/interesting/compelling to play?

I really wish these two questions were more frequently asked when discussions (or decisions) about code changes occurred.

Quote from: "Majikal"I would like to see something along the lines of actually needing to shield yourself from the storm or take some kind of penalty. The 'hiding' to find cover from the storm sounds pretty cool and allows alot of playability. Maybe even take a step further and allow rangers to have an ability to sense sandstorms before they come. Making their use as guides all the more useful.
No, no, no. Just make the sandstorm code more realistic so it's possible for PCs to predict when a bad storm is coming.

Quote from: "davien"Let's stop for a second and analyze a few things.

1) Why are sandstorms in the game?
2) How would changing them make the game more fun/interesting/compelling to play?

I really wish these two questions were more frequently asked when discussions (or decisions) about code changes occurred.
You know what would be more fun? If you only got incriminated when trying to steal from PCs. That way I could steal from NPCs without fear of being jailed.

I'm all for more dangerous sandstorms if Desert Quit and Storm Navigation become skills and more then just the ranger class has access to them.

Creating more dangerous storms that rangers can just magickally navigate through and "disapear" in just make rangers even more utterly rediculous and creates a bigger hassle to non-rangers who get stuck in them.

Though, atleast if sandstorms dealt damage you would die after a period of time as opposed to just being forced to "sit it out" and pray for a silt horror to come and smash you out of your bored misery.

:is bitter.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "John"You know what would be more fun? If you only got incriminated when trying to steal from PCs. That way I could steal from NPCs without fear of being jailed.

Clearly there's no difference between removing all risk from the game and making sure that it doesn't prohibit playability.

Your response is as silly as someone trying to argue the other side with some sort of bullshit "HEY WHY NOT HAVE IT JUST KILL YOUR CHARACTER WHEN YOU LOGIN" retort.

Mostly against, I thought Zalanthans were tough and I'm skeptical vs the current weather code due to the places I regularly see some pretty savage storms in.

Hot Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I have to say, I think our sandstorms are lethal enough for those who wander into them unprepared.  After playing for as long as I have, I am a tremendously cautious player in the desert, and I have paid for a handful of weather-related mistakes (some of which I knew I was making at the time) with the lives of my characters, even in spite of otherwise being prepared and cautious.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"I have to say, I think our sandstorms are lethal enough for those who wander into them unprepared.

... or even for people who wander into them prepared.  You realize that sandstorms were responsible for the majority of the calamity that won Halaster his fame?

Sandstorms are, in my opinion, not harsh enough. People go out in fierce winds, gales, and harsh sandstorms without reacting to the environment at all.

Damage from sandstorms? Even the harshest sand in the world can't do damage. But stun - weathering fierce storms can often be mentally exhausting. Not too much, but somewhat.

Sandstorms should be disorienting, though. People should lose their orientation. If you walk into the wind of a sandstorm, the blowing sand should blind you. Or you should get sand in your armor that begins rubbing, causing major irritation and, with prolonged movement, pain. Think sand in the bathing suit/down the backside/between the toes.

And another idea on the disorienting bit - you lose track of directions. You should lose your orientation and walk both in random directions and opposite directions to keep people guessing about their orientation. If you happen to be near a major identifying object when this happens, then your best bet is to stay still and deal with the storm. This would also potentially screw up auto-mappers in Mud clients which has its benefits.

Some info about sandstorms/afflictions caused by them:

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/01027/sandstorm.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0429_050429_iraqduststorm.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Dust

Very interesting claims/facts about sand & dust storms. I'd like to see silt storms

Oh come on. Storms are already shit. I don't want to see players die of storm. They are already immobilized by storm which causes them to die of thirsty/hungry if strom lasts long. No to damage. Stay where you are and die of thirst/hunger if your char was stupid to go out without enough supply. Or maybe you'll die because a gith will find you, and if you move you fell of shield wall or maybe new giths. bla bla. The way it is fine. I remember the times when there is no blinding storm. Like someone said Enough is enough:-) No need to make it harsher. I am sure you are suggesting this to lessen storm times so gain benefit but this way will be worse.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Idea: instead of losing health, maybe people lose stamina while in a storm? This would force realistic reactions. Either get out quickly, or else hunker down ("too exhausted to move", codedly), and wait it out.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I want to see living storms that follow pcs from room to room and yell at them in
ancient languages no one has.

Sandstorms are already dangerous, terribly inconvenient, uncontrollable beasts that supress play and delay/stop RPT's and outdoor events.  Adding any more detrimental effects to their presence is unneccessary.  Sandageddon is powerful enough as it is.

-LoD

Quote from: "Intrepid"I want to see living storms that follow pcs from room to room and yell at them in ancient languages no one has.

think Why do all the rangers know ancient languages?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: "Morrolan"think Why do all the rangers know ancient languages?

Hmm, good point.  That could really suck.

The fierce sandstorm bites you on the neck, doing tremendous damage.
b]YB <3[/b]

We need hearthstones.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

PCs shouldn't die in storms unless it's a result of their own actions. But storms should majorly screw them up, sapping a bit of endurance so that the risk of them dying does increase, but not if they just remain calm, move carefully, and constantly keep their orientation.

And guys can we please keep the thread focussed? No more speaking sandstorm comments, please.

Yeah, don't make me beat you up for derailment.  I'll derail your face.

If not HP damage, Stun damage could be nice.  Or maybe it could do direct Thirst damage or even weather (and by that weaken) armor?

Quote from: "Intrepid"I want to see living storms that follow pcs from room to room and yell at them in
ancient languages no one has.

Only the Whirans would understand...

It has now been sandstorming since 9:30 eastern... It's now almost 1pm.

-sigh-

There's Evil Afoot.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"There's Evil Afoot.
Perhaps we should give it back to him?