Scribbling on objects

Started by rufus, May 11, 2006, 05:53:47 AM

Could it be possible to add in scribbling on objects?

An example:

>l paper
This is a simple piece of paper.
It has 1 page.
There is nothing written on it.

>hold pen
You hold a quill pen.

>scribble paper
[-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----]
> There is an 'X' shape preceding an 'L' shape written here.
> .q

You finish scribbling.
> l paper
This is a simple piece of paper.
It has 1 page.
It has something scribbled on it.

> read paper
There is an 'X' shape preceding an 'L' shape written here.

Or something like that.  I just thought it would be nice to write down reminders, recipes, or other RP-based things without having to be a noble/templar.

Not a terrible idea, but I think that the Templarate in Allanak and Tuluk have banned even the simplest form of writing, because it could eventually evolve into a crude language or something like that. I heard once that any form of "stored" knowledge is illegal for people without authority.
b]YB <3[/b]

We have reading and writing skills.. Other than that, to scribble on an object you either emote about it without coded back-up or apply to the imms for the scribbled object, I believe.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "rufus"Or something like that.  I just thought it would be nice to write down reminders, recipes, or other RP-based things without having to be a noble/templar.

Mmmmm...execution... :D

Even drawing is probably iffy. It would depend on the templar's mood if you were caught with a drawing without permission, whether you lived or died, or at least whether you were arrested.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "MorganChaos"
Quote from: "rufus"Or something like that.  I just thought it would be nice to write down reminders, recipes, or other RP-based things without having to be a noble/templar.

Mmmmm...execution... :D

Even drawing is probably iffy. It would depend on the templar's mood if you were caught with a drawing without permission, whether you lived or died, or at least whether you were arrested.

Why?  There are paintings, sketches, those are perfectly legal.

I would love to see a 'draw' command that used paints/charcoal.

The upside to having an actual 'draw' command would also be that Immortals wouldn't have to create a brand new object for each drawing/painting.  It would be an instance in the gameworld like books and parchments are now, and the downside (or not) to that is that those drawings and paintings really would be original and once lost or stolen, irreplaceable.

Another downside would be the necessity for player responsibility.  No churning out a masterpiece every gameweek, heh.

If stored knowledge is illegal, then isn't painting as well?
Or even any kind of 'reminder' object, like a stick you carry with you to remind you to pick up some desert rations before you leave the city, etc.

Quote from: "Delirium"Why?  There are paintings, sketches, those are perfectly legal.

I would love to see a 'draw' command that used paints/charcoal.

The upside to having an actual 'draw' command would also be that Immortals wouldn't have to create a brand new object for each drawing/painting.  It would be an instance in the gameworld like books and parchments are now, and the downside (or not) to that is that those drawings and paintings really would be original and once lost or stolen, irreplaceable.

Another downside would be the necessity for player responsibility.  No churning out a masterpiece every gameweek, heh.

I absolutely love this idea.

Maybe make an "artistry" skill, so that not everyone suddenly becomes a master painter. PCs who have the appropriate background, or work towards it ICly, can be granted the ability, much like some career bards can learn to make instruments and get the instrument making skill.

Those with the skill can start out using charcoal and paper to create "a rough charcoal sketch" objects. Once skill advances a bit, they can use paintbrushes, canvas, and paints to create "a canvas painting." Both sketches and paintings would have main descriptions set by the player. Materials used to create artwork will be used up once the item is created.  On a failure, they're used up but no item is created (the artist ripped the paper, messed up the picture, spilled paint or whatever.)

Stuff like this would have to be staff-monitored to make sure nobody was abusing it to circumvent illiteracy, but if you control who gets the skill, that shouldn't be a problem.

This would make being an artist incredibly awesome.
subdue thread
release thread pit

I'd like to see the Writing editor become fleshed out further to allow drawing or even adding commentary in different languages.
I would also very much like to see the Scribble command be advanced so that literate people can actually write things with it that only other literati could read.

The only way I can see it done right now, though, is if the artistic object would need a staffer's approval before it can be used.
Well, that or we can use a generic system like in the seamstress shop in Allanak.

> Draw scroll charcoal
What is the main object?
> a large vestric
How detailed is it?
> highly
How much work was put in?
> much
Is there a background image?
> pale grey swirls

This leather scroll has a large vestric etched on it with charcoal.  The work is highly detailed, and apparently much work has been put into it.  The rest of the scroll is filled with a background of pale grey swirls.

I don't think the generic questionnaire system would be a very good idea, but who knows.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Only complex forms of 'stored information' (i.e. books and scrolls, writing) are illegal.  Paintings and drawings and sculpture and embroidery are all fine...as long as there are no words.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I would love draw.

Beginners could start with a maximum of 160 characters in the "drawing," and master artists could have up to a page full.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Actually, with a artist skill, instead of limiting wordplay and so forth and so on, the finished item's short description could have tags appended to it, like the new, worn, old tags currently in play.

No matter the number of words in the desc, the short description could read:
a very poor painting in a gold frame = 10% of skill
a poor painting in a gold frame = 20% of skill
a below average painting in a gold frame = 30% of skill
an average painting in a gold frame = 40% of skill
an above average painting in a gold frame = 50% of skill
a good painting in a gold frame = 60% of skill
a very good painting in a gold frame = 70% of skill
an exceptional painting in a gold frame = 80% of skill
an incredible painting in a gold frame = 90% of skill
a master's painting in a gold frame = 100% of skill

This should solve a number of problems in terms of knowing the quality of the painting. If someone claims they've painted it masterfully and it says that it's a poor painting, then the buyer could act accordingly.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

So you would type in the sdesc and it would pin a modifier to it?

By limiting wordplay, the auther would be forced to describe it with the characters given to them. A master would be able to go into great details to explain what the picture is, or isn't.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

The thing with painting is that I'd much rather have it described rather than see a certain "skill level" attached to it. I'm taking a Drawing I class as part of my core requirements for college, and honestly, I don't always like the person whose drawing is the best. We've basically just been drawing what's in front of us, so you'll see certain people who have that down to a near realistic level. You'll see other people where it may not be realistic, but there's a high contrast level. Others are heavy on the use of shading, and on the flip side other people are lighter in color with their drawings. If it were based off skill, yes, you could easily point and say that the person whose is most realistic is the best, but it's not. It's about what sort of things are entertaining to look at, and just because something is a master's painting to one person doesn't mean it's really a master's, and likewise with a very poor painting. It's all about interpretation.