An empty tent, in the bazaar, with an IC Board in it.

Started by jmordetsky, May 09, 2006, 12:45:11 PM

The large, important transactions will still be done person to person, but I think that this will have more of the street vendor, "Five knifes for ten 'sid! Finest quality in the bazaar!" atmosphere. I never see enough independant PC merchants.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Sure they will. So what's wrong with a rumor board in the bazaar to post specific merchant only things about. Instead of cluttering the rumor boards in the taverns? So Joe is looking for a nice razor sharp obsidian sword, I'd rather see it in the mercantile board in the bazaar then in the city-wide rumors in the taverns.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Does Amber company of the Borsail Wyverns have NPC members?

No..

Quote from: "Tuannon"Does Amber company of the Borsail Wyverns have NPC members?

No..

I think they do.  Er... Were not there someone as commander over the sergeant and liutenant rank?

But who cares?  What does it have to do with the idea of having a tent for independent PC merchants and a board for them?  I love the idea indeed.  I don't think a PC can do this all by himself, and a PC would not really want to do this alone anyway, if he is not a part of a house or an ortanisation.  Because once the PC is dead, the tent would be over.  Which would not make any sense.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Tuannon"Does Amber company of the Borsail Wyverns have NPC members?

No..
That was a rhetorical question in response to Xygax's post about PC-NPC segregation.  :roll:

Quote from: "Ghost"

No..

I think they do.  

They do.  And, to the players' credits - they RP with them.

Quote from: "davien"
Quote from: "Ghost"

No..

I think they do.  

They do.  And, to the players' credits - they RP with them.

You ever spar with them, though?  Do they ever come out on slaving runs?

Okay, it is getting more and more derailed.  The point is, there is a segragation in the game between PCs and NPCs.  It is supposed to be minimal, but it is there.  And I think adding a tent in the bazaar and adding an IC board there just for the independent PC merchants will not destroy everything.

Okay, that is what I think about it.  Good idea J.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I wouldn't mind just a big, empty pavilion to be constructed in the bazaar, but I wouldn't want a board there because then people wouldn't spend their time at the pavilion, but instead at the bar, drinking, letting the board do all the work for them.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Xygax"Why should the PC population have a place segregated from the NPC population?

-- X

If.. you put NPCs in the area and VNPCs in the desc of the area, then..... I'm guessing this is no longer a PC segregated location, right? Isn't that how taverns work? And with a board?

You're welcome.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I'd go with a rug, not a tent.  The problem with a tent, especially a tent that is there all the time, is that PCs have to walk right up to the tent and "look in tent" to see if there is anyone there.  PCs in the tent shouting something like "Travel cakes!  Getcher travel cakes here!" will only be heard by people standing directly outside the tent.  In the open you can be seen by people up to three rooms away, and heard by people one room away.

Buy yourself a cheap rug, drop it in the market near a well-traveled area, and then IMEDIATELY sit on it, or else a sticky fingered NPC might pick it up.  Most rugs can seat several people, so if someone comes along and wants to sit and discuss things with you they can.  If you are feeling particularly brave you can even put a few sample items on the rug with you, so people can look at the rug to see what you are selling, and "get <item> rug" to pick up and examine items.  I -think- the rug would keep you safe from the NPCs that pick up random items left laying on the ground.  PCs could still grab stuff off your rug and run away, but they can do that anyway when they ask to look at an item.

I once had a stonecrafter sitting on a virtual rug outside the Gaj (this was before the rug seller NPC in Allanak) carving and selling stone goods.  I figured working stone would be too noisy for a tavern, even the Gaj.  Drop desced around me were a pile of stones and a few stone items, including a stone lantern that I was using because it was night time.  Sure enough, one elf did walk by, pick up the lantern and run away . . . but just one.  I did get plenty of interaction and several paying customers.  

I probably got more "walk by" customers being outside the Gaj on Caravan Road than I would have gotten in the Bazaar.  But if you were near the bank or the most popular entrance you'd probably get some traffic, especially once people got used to PCs being there.  

Angela Christine

I love this suggestion, and would gladly see it somewhere in the Armageddon Documents.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "Xygax"Unfortunately, the code doesn't allow you to build a "camping tent" in the city.

-- X
Any chance of this getting changed then? After all, a ton of people do it. And there's enough PCs that if you put it up in an unrealistic spot, they'll come and say something.
I bump this request now that AIM is finished.

Now I don't have enough time to read all pages, but here are my thoughts.

Up until now, for what are Imms encouraging us?
Let me tell you the answer. PC-to-PC interaction.

When people complain about cap of shops, what do Imms suggest us?
Go sell those to PCs.

In this respect, why don't you Imms support this kind of idea which would only increase the PC interaction?

First of all, an auction house is not out of  RL world imo. If there is a trade, there will always be someone simulates it. Also this IC board thing can work. Why?

Because that tent or building is where all people and traders hang around, so word will spread among them like "HEy did you hear that blad encked dwarf is selling a cool sword with a very cheap price. They say that he regularly visits here every bla bla day of week...."

So I support this. Put an NPC selling some drinks in there, and maybe some trade goods. Also that room should have some counters (workbenchs), then hang a board similar to the ones at taverns. PEople come and drops a message  there.

This way people will interact with the right person more.  You cannot use Taverns for this purpose because that place is for whoring. People won't like to see traders shouting around for selling goods. That place is not bazaar. Since noone is able to shout and sell things inside tavern, then dropping a note on board is not actually %100 IC.

Last thing, this won't hurt game environment, so no need to say no. Someone should write up a room and submit to MUD.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

A recent thought bears promise, I think.

Has anyone ever thought about using Tradesman Street, which lies directly beside the Bazaar, as a focal point for PC trade? It's a focused area without a lot of getting-lost-to-find-it involved.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870