throw knife bottle

Started by jmordetsky, May 05, 2006, 11:53:55 PM

I'd like to be able to practice throw on random objects.

Anyone else have thoughts?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Awesome, as long as archery gets it also.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

>throw knife ritley
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to see this.

It would have being useful to me in some situations my previous characters found themselves in (I was disappointed when the MUD informed me that I couldn't throw knives at a dartboard with my buddies).

Quote from: "jmordetsky"I'd like to be able to practice throw on random objects.
Quote from: "Tamarin">throw knife ritley

*stifles a laugh*

That's so mean it's almost funny, heh.. this would be cool, but this is already in game... a game of darts, anyone?
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Due to the insane and awesome damage amounts that the throw skill is eventually capable of, I doubt we'll see this in place, even though...it would be cool.  Same reason you can't shoot arrows at cacti out in the desert.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I like this idea. It doesn't have to have a skill increase when you do so, but could just be used to play games, and stuff.

Quotethrow knife ritley

emote falls over, brains leaking out of his head.

Dude! Tamarin has maxxed out her throw skill!

Quote from: "John"Dude! Tamarin has maxxed out her throw skill!

Oh...

emote falls backwards, slamming to the floor, his head falling down a dune, leaving the dune red, as it trails of blood.

Is that better?

I believe -and it's totally subjective, I have no evidence at all- playing darts make you good at... playing darts. I loved when I found out even characters with no throw skill at all could get good at playing darts.

But I wouldn't say no to target practising with both 'throw' and 'archery', even a 'practise throw/archery' command which you need to RP out. When the playerbase seems to have stopped twinking, I'm sure they'll be added already.

I don't think training your coded skills is not RP. Half of my gemmed mages had 'practise sessions' where I would emote and cast, emote and cast, emote and cast, cast,cast.... till I failed, then stop and think what I have done wrong to slur the third word or botch the sign I draw to the air with my left hand's index finger and try to correct it. They worked to 'get good', they got good codewise and they were still in character.

So after not managing to pierce through the soft skin of a jozhal with his seventh arrow, hunter joe could/should think he should up his skill in archery and strengthen his arms first. He may do push-ups for half-an-hour every day followed by firing arrows at some old backpack/shabby basket he found in outdoors. I'm positive sending the logs would mean already a skill rise after some time. Still I won't say 'no' to a coded mean to practise them either. I will pay no attention to people yelling "No no no OMG it'll be twinked!".. We have 'teach', 'nil' and sparring dummies.

Note: It won't affect me at all I believe. I gave up rangers for the time being because I found out playing shady types and merchants are closer to the fun I want. I only play merchants, shadies and mages now, who already have ways to up their coded skills with ease. But still, I would like to see someone training archery in the open with my invis mage and watch his emoting with a smile on my character's face, maybe even warn him about a beetle approaching: "Someone tells you, his voice hushed and distant: 'A beetle is approaching to the west, hunter. Shall I push him away so it does not interrupt your training? His citizens need better hunters and more meat.'."
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "John"Dude! Tamarin has maxxed out her throw skill!

*cough*

His throw skill.

*cough*
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Always assumed you were a girl too tamarin lol. It's the name.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Tamarin is a man.  Not only is Tamarin a man, he's also THE man.

*gleefully continues derail*
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"Tamarin is a man.  Not only is Tamarin a man, he's also THE man.

*gleefully continues derail*

You're a sick man Tamarin.. Lauramars is Hawt -shrug- I don't know, but that's the general consensus.

Anyway, throw is pretty hard to work on from what I've learned IG, there's not a whole lot of ways to practice it.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "LauraMars"Due to the insane and awesome damage amounts that the throw skill is eventually capable of, I doubt we'll see this in place, even though...it would be cool.  Same reason you can't shoot arrows at cacti out in the desert.
Maybe throw is too powerful, then?  In real life, I would imagine that the "throw skill" can be highly effective at short range against an unarmored opponent, but is quickly defeated when you start layering on chitin--far more quickly than archery.

It really does seem ridiculous to me that you can't easily practice throwing stuff (knives, spears) at other stuff (bottles, tables, dartboards), though.  If the solution requires unrealism, the problem most likely contains unrealism, too.

Quote from: "LauraMars"Due to the insane and awesome damage amounts that the throw skill is eventually capable of, I doubt we'll see this in place, even though...it would be cool.

If it only raised your throwing skill fractionally (like with darts I believe?), and if a limit is placed on how much you can increase your skill before you have to start throwing knives at living things to increase it further, perhaps that would help prevent twinking?

Implimenting this won't make much more opportunities to twink up your skills.

There are coded items that allow you to shoot at them, for those of you who are clannies and want to organize it with your clan. For other people, well you COULD buy the items and go practice your skills elsehwere. I don't know for certain if you can "throw" stuff at the special items, or if you can only "shoot" stuff at it.

But I personally would prefer that the code be made so you can shoot/throw at anything.

Quote from: "HTX"
If it only raised your throwing skill fractionally (like with darts I believe?), and if a limit is placed on how much you can increase your skill before you have to start throwing knives at living things to increase it further, perhaps that would help prevent twinking?

Implimenting this won't make much more opportunities to twink up your skills.

That would be good. Even if you know how to aim, you have to know WHERE to aim to kill a creature, especially an armored one.