Another one for Morgenes

Started by Many Faces, May 04, 2006, 12:06:16 PM

Please don't junk a book?

So there's no good IC reason why a commoner who has total disdain for the establishment to find a book and destroy it?

I know it's OOC shitty, but so is killing someone just because their accent is bad, or because your assistant can't otherwise practice backstab... but it's ICly justifiable.

Don't use the junk command... wish up to have it removed from the game.  Books, as I understand it, are written virtual objects.  By that, I mean that they are only saved in that instance, and creating a new one gives you a blank copy without writing.  When it takes someone 20+ hours to create it, and a simple command 'junk' can ruin all that near irreparably... don't do it.

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:  "Reading is Fun(damental)!"

Quote from: "Halaster"Speaking of which, I saw that a couple of players recently got a hold of some books, IC, and according to the logs junked one of them.  I can't tell you how shitty that is....

Please don't do that.

As the one who -accidentally- junked the book in question. I had to respond to this to make it clear that it was not my intentions to junk the book. It was a complete and total accident that I junked the book, I had used the wrong keyword when I intended to junk something else. I can't remember what the -exact- situation was now, I just remember junking the book on accident and going "Oh shit.".

If it makes you feel any better about your book, as I'm sure you know my pc was killed not long after. Unfortunately through the use of OOC information exhange (read "cheating") Whether it was from player to player, staff to player, player to staff, or staff to staff member's pc I do not know. (The only IC explanation is a mindbender.)
No amount of complaining is going to bring back my pc so I decided to just throw it over my shoulder and move on.
What's more disheartening that the book being lost "on accident" is losing your pc to the use of OOC information. I nearly quit playing over it.

Quote from: "The One who Junked."What's more disheartening that the book being lost "on accident" is losing your pc to the use of OOC information. I nearly quit playing over it.
First, this really makes me think we should get a "junk undo" command somehow.
Second, I think you're being too quick to blame OOC factors.  How do you know that there wasn't a ghost living in the book that got destroyed, for example?

If you suspect you got killed unfairly, you should really email the MUD and ask about it.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Or we could just get rid of "junk book."

When you do type "junk book," you could get a message that says, "If you want to destroy this book, type "salvage book."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Or we could just get rid of "junk book."

When you do type "junk book," you could get a message that says, "If you want to destroy this book, type "salvage book."

But what about if you accidentally salvage the wrong keyword?   :shock:

No, books need more protection.  The only way to get rid of them should be book burning.  Get a fire going, and then "put book fire" as per the fire helpfile.

Possibly "eat paper" for small paper objects like a note on a single sheet of paper, but not for large leather-bound books or scrolls made from hide.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Or we could just get rid of "junk book."

But what about if you accidentally salvage the wrong keyword?   :shock:

No, books need more protection.  The only way to get rid of them should be book burning.  Get a fire going, and then "put book fire" as per the fire helpfile.

Possibly "eat paper" for small paper objects like a note on a single sheet of paper, but not for large leather-bound books or scrolls made from hide.

Angela Christine

Well, doesn't it say "You begin salvaging the little black book."?
That would give you a few seconds to change your mind.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"

Well, doesn't it say "You begin salvaging the little black book."?
That would give you a few seconds to change your mind.

I think so, but in the panic of those few seconds, will you remember how to stop salvaging?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Sit? Contact? I have accidently spent 4 hours getting words ready for a book, then I closed out of my microsoft word and didn't save it, since I put it in the book.. Then I had a black rock. Fuck, I hate myself.