Throwing Lights

Started by Fnord, April 29, 2006, 06:23:27 PM

It would be cool if light sources, like glow crystals and torches, could be thrown. The idea being to throw said light into a dark area, so you can get a look at what is going on inside before physically heading in. Of course,  you'd have to go in to retrieve your light...

Certain light sources would be better than others for this purpose. Fragile ones, like some lanterns, could break or go out when thrown.

Thoughts?
Amor Fati

A beautiful idea that I once idead. You can theoretically do this already IF there is a person in that room which ... you can somehow see. In this case, you can throw the item direction, but if there is no target, then it doesnt work. Unless I misunderstood the "throw" helpfile.

Ofcourse, it could probably mean you'll be able to throw grenades :)

As a subset, it would be great if you could just fire in a direction, without a target, and without any chance of hitting anything.   Then you could do things like warning shots.

Even if many of the players would just start running in a semi random direction if an arrow came flying out of nowhere.

Quote from: "grog"As a subset, it would be great if you could just fire in a direction, without a target, and without any chance of hitting anything.   Then you could do things like warning shots.

Even if many of the players would just start running in a semi random direction if an arrow came flying out of nowhere.

Already can. Read HELP SHOOT

That is shoot, not throw.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"That is shoot, not throw.

Ah. He mentioned an arrow in his example, which is why I thought that is what he ment. Yeah, doing the same with throwing would be nice.

Quote from: "Arbonne"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"That is shoot, not throw.

Ah. He mentioned an arrow in his example, which is why I thought that is what he ment. Yeah, doing the same with throwing would be nice.

Sorry, that was my bad,  I meant to say knife. :)

I've often wondered why we cannot throw without a target.
Can't think of any twinkyness thats gonna come out of it
I've needed to do it many times, sometimes with lights, but most often simple RP.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It would be awesome to be able to throw a lit item into a room.

You could even give it a random check to snuff out, if you wanted.

>throw torch north

>You hurl a burning torch north.

>look north
A well stocked room.
[Near]
Several large powder kegs.

>say Awww fek.
You say, in sirihish:
 "Awww fek."
B

I think the way light objects are coded might make it difficult to make them throwable.  Once when I was half-way up a wall I dropped my light, just to see what would happen.  The torch dropped to the bottom of the wall, but the light didn't.  The room I was in stayed lit, the room the torch fell into stayed dark.  That can't be good.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I would love this in the rooms that you just know is next to a hole, but you don't want to go over to check it out.

Throw torch near w

You aim and throw the burning torch west!

To the west: You see the torch fly in from the east, before disappearing as it descends.

You hear someone to the west shout: Fe FI Fo Fum! I smell the blood of a soon-to-be dead bum! Who the fuck threw a torch at me?!? You's gonna die now.

The thing has arrived from the west.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think this would be a great to have. I also think it would be cool if one could throw weapons during combat. You'd be at a disadvantage tossing away your weapon but you'd have the chance of a knockdown in exchange.

Would be nice for pcs who prefer to throw to be able to do it while in melee.
And with this stam drain stuff lately...
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Yes, the light thing definitely needs to go in - I've been stuck in dark places because lights are just beign weird repeatedly.

You should be able to throw anything into a direction, just like shoot works - toss that prisoner some food into the pit, or toss that poor guy stuck in the cave a rope.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Not a one negative response. Does this catch the interest of any immies  :?:
Amor Fati