Load slings while holding?

Started by rishenko, April 28, 2006, 05:34:19 PM

Currently, as far as I remember, you cannot load a slingshot while holding it.  Instead you must:

rem sling

load sling pebble

ep sling

shoot bahamet n

Hmm, as far as I know, pulling and notching an arrow whilst slipping it against your hand or bow to steady the tip requires as much, if not more effort than placing a pebble in a strap on a sling while holding it then pinching said strap.

Is there any chance of getting slings modified to the following:

ep sling

load sling pebble

shoot bahamet n

load sling pebble

shoot bahamet n

Heh, now watch somebody pop on the thread and go "YOU FOOL!  DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT YOU CAN XYZ THE SLING WITH ABC WITHOUT REMOVING IT?!"  If so, thanks, because I reeeaaaally would like to know how to do it.

I'd also like it that when you examine a loaded slingshot, you would see the projectile that it's loaded with.

>exam slingshot
This is a hide slingshot made out of hide and other stuff. It's durable and useful.
Inside a hide slingshot:
a piece of sandstone
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You get the same issue with crossbows.

Gmud lets me asign F1 to F10 as macro keys, so I pick one and put a macro to:
    remove crossbow
    get bolt quiver
    load crossbow
    ep crossbow

That puts the process into one command, much like "pull quiver" does for regular bows.  If I'm using a sling instead of a crossbow I rewrite the macro for slings, but it's basically the same.

So far a client-side fix is the only way I've found to make slings and crossbows as OOCly easy to use a long bows and short bows.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I would love to see slings more available.  They should be easy to aquire, yet no one sells them for the most part.  I know of one shop in Tuluk that does.

The other thing is a little quirk, if you put a sling away loaded, then forget and try to load it again, you get a strange message about it being jammed.  A "jammed" slingshot?
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I should be looking at this soon, I'd think you could, I'll try and see if there's a reason why it was done this way.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I would like to see a minor delay added in for loading crossbows.

For slingshots and bows, none.

But all of them would be nice to be able to load in one command like the 'pull quiver' command.

Quote from: "Delirium"I would like to see a minor delay added in for loading crossbows.

For slingshots and bows, none.

But all of them would be nice to be able to load in one command like the 'pull quiver' command.
Crossbows should have a shorter delay for the "shoot" command and a considerablylonger delay for the "load" command to represent how crossbows work in real life.  In real life, if you're sitting in a room with a loaded hand crossbow, and two people with swords burst in, one of those people is going to be dead in about a second, and the other is going to gut you while you're trying to reload the damn thing.

I would really love to see the ability to load crossbows and slings without removing them.  The current system just rewards fast typists and people who use macros.
Back from a long retirement

Or...you can load the sling with a rock, but only if you are holding the sling ep and the rock es.

Since we can't hold a weapon in the off-hand anyway, this might be a cool little feature.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Crossbows should have a shorter delay for the "shoot" command and a considerablylonger delay for the "load" command to represent how crossbows work in real life.  In real life, if you're sitting in a room with a loaded hand crossbow, and two people with swords burst in, one of those people is going to be dead in about a second, and the other is going to gut you while you're trying to reload the damn thing.

I agree. Do crossbows tend to hit for harder damage than bows and arrows at a comparable archery skill? If not, they should.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "Jherlen"
Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Crossbows should have a shorter delay for the "shoot" command and a considerablylonger delay for the "load" command to represent how crossbows work in real life.  In real life, if you're sitting in a room with a loaded hand crossbow, and two people with swords burst in, one of those people is going to be dead in about a second, and the other is going to gut you while you're trying to reload the damn thing.

I agree. Do crossbows tend to hit for harder damage than bows and arrows at a comparable archery skill? If not, they should.

Why?

How hard you hit shouldn't depend on your skill at all, cause that's always the same - you might hit better locations with higher skill thus causing more damage.
But how hard you hit depends onthe strength or the bow/crossbow in general - and crossbows can't be much better considering how much lower their range is.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Theoretically, from what I understood crossbow use bolts, which are much more smaller and harder projectiles. Also crossbow bolts untlike arrows, fly in a straight line, and hit harder because the string that sends the bolt flying is much more tighter then most bows.

Generally, when using a bow, you basically hold a stick with a string attached to to it by one hand, and pull on the string itself with the other. With crossbows, you dont need to hold the stick, the crossbows are specifically made so you could use them for support, while pulling on the string with all of your weight, both hands, and body to load the bolt. That's why it should theoretically deal much more damage them a bow, because the force the bolt flies out with is 'much' greater.

The reason though why the crossbow is shorter range compared to bows, is that the bolts fly in a straight line, while the arrows fly in an arc.

Barring certain exceptions like the mongols arrows that could pierce any armor from 800m on horse back, it was common for it to be against the law for peasants to own crossbows, but not bows. Because with bows you could hunt, but if you sent the arrow from far enough distance, it wouldnt pierce Lord's armor easilly, unless you're some super skilled and reknown marksman. While with crossbows, any idiot could kill off an armored up knight after a mug of ale, and a bit of luck

Quote from: "Folker"Theoretically, from what I understood crossbow use bolts, which are much more smaller and harder projectiles. Also crossbow bolts untlike arrows, fly in a straight line, and hit harder because the string that sends the bolt flying is much more tighter then most bows.

Generally, when using a bow, you basically hold a stick with a string attached to to it by one hand, and pull on the string itself with the other. With crossbows, you dont need to hold the stick, the crossbows are specifically made so you could use them for support, while pulling on the string with all of your weight, both hands, and body to load the bolt. That's why it should theoretically deal much more damage them a bow, because the force the bolt flies out with is 'much' greater.

The reason though why the crossbow is shorter range compared to bows, is that the bolts fly in a straight line, while the arrows fly in an arc.

Barring certain exceptions like the mongols arrows that could pierce any armor from 800m on horse back, it was common for it to be against the law for peasants to own crossbows, but not bows. Because with bows you could hunt, but if you sent the arrow from far enough distance, it wouldnt pierce Lord's armor easilly, unless you're some super skilled and reknown marksman. While with crossbows, any idiot could kill off an armored up knight after a mug of ale, and a bit of luck

That's because it's way easier to aim with a crossbow, than with a real bow. And no, you can shoot with a bow in a straight line - the arc ('ballistic' shooting) is only used when the target is too far away to shoot in a straight line - the stronger your bow, the larger the distance where you have to resort to ballistic shooting. A crossbow bolt probably won't even go that far - it's too heavy, it doesn't fly as far as an arrow would

I don't know anything about crossbows, so they probably still give you more damage at lower distances - your average crossbow has about 400 pounds, your average bow goes up to 50 or 60 -  but I think that 'no crossbows for the peasants rule' was due to a crossbow requiring less skill to hit, because aiming is far easier.

EDIT: Me stupid, I misundertood something.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Speaking as one who knows - crossbows (in the RL) can (and do) fly further than arrows because the power behind the bolt is greater.  The limbs of the crossbow are stiffer and it requires more input energy to cock the crossbow.  
Because of the greater energy in, there is greater energy out.

Most (maybe all of us) could never pull a crossbow back to fully cocked position and hold it and aim, but all of us could do this with a bow of one type or another.

Crossbows do fire straighter and this makes them easier to aim as well.

Think of a crossbow as a very slow gun.  Better than a bow, easier to use, more complicated to maintain.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]