New Command: Imm

Started by Cale_Knight, April 25, 2006, 06:53:35 PM

A command that tells you whether there are any immortals on. Not how many, not who, just a simple "yes" or "no."

That way nobody would ever have to wish up at emptiness and then spend 20 minutes waiting around for an answer that will never come.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

No thank you.

If you know there is one on, you are going topester them until they do what you want or they log off.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If you know there is one on, you are going topester them until they do what you want or they log off.

Which is clearly against the rules outlined in the wish helpfile.

What does it matter then?
If you -know- imms are logged on, then you have more of a chance of entering in your wish one more time.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"What does it matter then?
If you -know- imms are logged on, then you have more of a chance of entering in your wish one more time.

I'm having trouble parsing that. What are you trying to say?

The point I'm making is that after you've wished up about something, you're expected to wait patiently for a response. That's fine. But if there's nobody around to even hear you, you're just wasting your time waiting when you could be doing something else.

Wasting time isn't good for anyone - why not take steps to limit that?

If I'm being ignored, I'd like to know that I'm being ignored. If I'm simply not being heard at all, I'd like to know that too.

The Who list doesn't number how many invisible staffers are online for a reason.  This command, if implemented, would be used by cheaters and twinks to make sure they wouldn't be caught while doing Bad Things in the game and cause an increase in cheating.

The problem with Wishes and the lack of replies is real, but I would like to see it handled differently.
For example: it is known that only staffers of HL rank or above (or storytellers who are your clan immortals) are able to directly respond to your wishes.  This is also dubious, but perhaps a prompt can be added when you send a Wish.

> wish all Can you set my Offense skill at max please?  The Sergeant just taught me how to fight in RP!
You send this message to the staff:
  "Can you set my Offense skill at max please?  The Sergeant just taught me how to fight in RP!"
Note: There are no staff members that can directly respond to your Wish at this time.  Please wait for a few minutes, as another staff member may assist without contacting you directly.

This is also dubious, but I doubt most people would like to wish before trying to cheat.  Then again, even that is possible.

Perhaps, if it's so important that Storytellers can't directly send messages to players outside of their clan, Storytellers could use a tool with generic pre-written responses.
It could have things like:
1) Help is on the way, wait please.
2) Please clarify your wish.
3) No-one can resolve your wish at the time, try later.
4) Please email the MUD (and your clan imms, if you have them) with the request.
That would keep us from staring at a blank screen for ten minutes before moving elsewhere and could be nice.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

When the cats are away, the mice will play.

>cats

There are no cats around.

>play

You begin playing.

No thanks.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "Larrath"This command, if implemented, would be used by cheaters and twinks to make sure they wouldn't be caught while doing Bad Things in the game and cause an increase in cheating.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

A lot of us remain online idle, or are working on things unrelated to the many wishes that arrive in immland daily.

Also, the best way to get struck down, having been provided with a feature like this, would be:
Quotewish all I know you're up there, and I know you're not idle, answer my wish!
-- X

Just because IMMs are online does not mean they are available.  They might be idle or in the middle of an RPT or dealing with an emergency, or not have the authority to deal with whatever issue you want help with.  It would be impossible to create such a command in a way that would actually be meaningful with all the variables involved.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Third strike, this isn't happening, locked.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff